Yellow triangle sign

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

It's a little way past one (coming from the direction I was going) and the next actual foot crossing is a bit too far beyond it to be seen vegitation or not (probably, can't be sure never having seen the view from straight ahead). However there is a private farm crossing I didn't know about until walking past (visible on the Google link above though) which I didn't think about. The sign is on the inside of a slight curve from there so might may be visible from that side of that crossing.

Edited by Reorte

• 5 years later...
On 12/05/2015 at 11:35, big jim said:

Isn't the hexagon stop sign an order rather than a warning?

I seem to remember when i took my driving test (a long time ago) by official highway rules you have to stop at one, and i seem to remeber there being something about applying your handbrake too

Just seen this as this thread's now resurfaced

I believe the idea of the hexagonal 'STOP' road sign instead of the normal circular for signs giving orders is so that it's still distinguishable if the surface's covered in snow.

(And yes, it is compulsory  to come to a complete stop at such signs)

Similarly, the 'Give Way' sign is the only 'upside down' triangle (ie point down)

• Like 1

On 11/07/2015 at 22:18, Reorte said:

Right, I'm dragging this back up because I've finally got around to getting a photo of the sign in question (this late is very fast by my standards!):

post-22093-0-69905600-1436649525.jpg

Its a marker board for P-way, it means there’s less than 8 seconds visibility at linespeed.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 02/05/2021 at 15:45, Ken.W said:

I believe the idea of the hexagonal 'STOP' road sign instead of the normal circular for signs giving orders is so that it's still distinguishable if the surface's covered in snow.

The origin is North American, and most likely US specifically.

While stationed in Lahr, West Germany from 1986 to 1989, I saw them on and around our two bases (Baden-Sollingen being the other one) and US bases.  Traffic fatalities were higher, per capita, in Germany than in Canada, but the Canadian traffic fatality rate in Germany was higher than the German rate (as we were told during our on-arrival written driving test) due to different rules and customs. That would indubitably have been the same for Americans. An excessive number of Germans were likely also killed or injured by confused or ignorant Canadian and American drivers, so adopting them in high-risk areas would have been prudent.

They seem to have spread from there, like an invasive species. I saw a few in France and Holland during my travels as well.

Interestingly, those in Germany, France, and Holland all had "STOP" on them. In Quebec, our French-speaking province, they say "ARRET". There is a language purity movement in that province which discourages the casual and natural adoption of English terms.

Edited by Mark L Horstead
Dates of Posting to Lahr added.
  • Like 2

On 04/05/2021 at 15:53, Mark L Horstead said:

The origin is North American, and most likely US specifically.

They seem to have spread from there, like an invasive species. I saw a few in France and Holland during my travels as well.

Ah yes, US customs do seem to have a tendency to spread like invasive species.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm used to be a driver for Northern out of Manchester Piccadilly so I signed the Buxton route, the solid yellow triangle you are referring to is for sighting of a foot-crossing that can be affected by the growth of vegetation . The idea is that if a driver cannot see the triangle, the vegetation needs cutting down. The triangle can also be seen by pedestrians at the crossing if a P Way inspection finds they can't see the triangle from the crossing the vegetation gets cut down. Its a way of giving the driver or crossing users time to see each other which avoids the need to put up whistle boards which now require planning permission, which you can imagine is difficult to obtain with todays anti- noise legislation. There are a couple of these triangles on the line between Stalybridge and Baguley Fold Jnc. The picture Big Jim has posted is what was used to show where there were trailing catch points on gradients back in the day of un-braked vehicles to stop runaways coming into conflict with other trains.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The white triangle with 'S' on it in the 'Class 40 thrash' video posted by Big Jim on the 6th of May is indicating the location of spring points. These are in effect unworked trailing catch points so they will always derail a runaway vehicle travelling in the wrong direction on a falling gradients. It is a very steep gradient coming down from Dove Holes to Whaley bridge on the Buxton line. to allow wrong direction moves if needed, they would have to be manually clipped and locked for the movement. In the right direction trains just run through them with each twheel flange pushing the point blades over.