Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Ok so Dafydd Ap Iowerth “mutton chops” Parry has somewhere to park his arse and read the Western Mail in between those kettles coming through Talyllyn .... Severn models etched desk & seat kit bodged together with the RSU.

attachicon.gif752DEEC6-78CC-462B-B31E-6DB008F4DC45.jpeg

Happy modelling

Craig

Lovely, those, Craig.  Do the drawers in the desk slide in and out???     :yes:  or   :no2: ??

Rod

Whose Pannier is that?

Charles

Hi Charles,

It's mine!!!!

No seriously it is a Minerva 8750 which I have added Laurie Griffin vacuum and steam pipes.

It's fitted with a Zimo MX645R loaded witha Paul Chetter sound project through a Zimo double speaker unit.

The Minerva Panniers are excellent runners and are able to be detailed as per the prototype with the added components. All you have to choose is top feed or not.

No connection just a multiply satisfied customer.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

That is looking good, Jinty.  As you say, there's a few things coming together now.  I agree, it does spur you on!!

I particularly like the line going over the top in pics 3 and 4: is that prototypical?  Not the LMS is it??    :dontknow: (Couldn't find a tongue-in-cheek emoji!!!!!)

Rod

• Like 1

That is looking good, Jinty.  As you say, there's a few things coming together now.  I agree, it does spur you on!!

I particularly like the line going over the top in pics 3 and 4: is that prototypical?  Not the LMS is it??    :dontknow: (Couldn't find a tongue-in-cheek emoji!!!!!)

Rod

Thanks Rod, 

Hopefully now I can crack on with platform 1 and then get some ballast and detailing in place.

The LMS line in the background is where my photo plank lives, but yes it has LMS locos on it, and could be a high level, you never know!!!!

Jinty ;)

Looking good Jinty Boy ... can’t wait to see it in the flesh this week, you forgot to mention the Rodding, it really does set the scene in the low level picture towards the signal box.

Dda iawn

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Looking fantastic Dave! Think I might even have got the signals just about the right height too!

JF

Thanks Jon, I think the signal is perfect.

Amazing isn't it, whilst I was looking for some reference pictures for you of the front of the signal, I couldn't find any, now it's done, I've found loads.

Again, I think the signal is spot on, Thanks again.

Jinty ;)

Great to meet up again on Tuesday Jints, and also with Craig / Muddys- Blues and Martin Gismorail. the work on the Rat for Craig had a serious effect on my well being, and now also my Wallet, you lot are a bad influence on me, hahah.

Great stuff mate.

• Like 1

Hello all, after watching the F1 and then dinner, I retired to the garage to finish some of what I'd been doing in there this last couple of evenings.

I've now got the platform sub-structure finished on one side and I've laid the platform top at the junction end as there is a bit more going on at that end with the signal box and signal, etc. Once I'd laid the platform, with the cut outs in both the base board and the platform top,  I mounted the junction signal that Jon Fitness built for me in its position near the signal box. I thought that it could be a bit of a photo opportunity!!!

So out came the camera and 9648 with a couple of B'set coaches and a few photos emerged.

Firstly here is one giving a passengers eye view of the train from Brecon that they've just stepped off. Sorry it's not all in focus, I'll have to try to use this stacking program for better results, but I think you get the idea!

8>< snip ><8

And lastly a picture along the platform towards the junction, again showing both the box and signal.

attachicon.gifTally 306.jpg

This has given me a bit of a boost as it's starting to look a bit like its prototype with quite a few things coming together.

I have started to apply washes to the signal box as can be seen from the pictures. Slow and steady wins the race in this case, and I think it is going to take a bit of time to get the finish I want.

Jinty ;)

I have a question about this signal. What's the point of the lower signals?  It looks to me like the yellow/black signal arms are fixed to the post, and a lantern next to them.  I'm trying to wrap my brain around a rationale for a signal arm which is stationary, never mind two.

Can you explain this one to me?

I have a question about this signal. What's the point of the lower signals?  It looks to me like the yellow/black signal arms are fixed to the post, and a lantern next to them.  I'm trying to wrap my brain around a rationale for a signal arm which is stationary, never mind two.

Right I'm not a signalman, but as I understand it they are a fixed distant for each leg of the triangle. The left one to cover the route to North Junction and the home signal there, and the right one to cover to East Junction and the home signal there. I think they are in the fixed position because the home signal at both of the junctions mentioned are not very far away, so proceeding at caution was the order of the day. 

I probably haven't explained myself very well, and I probably lack some of the correct terminology, but I hope I have relayed my understanding of it alright.

No doubt someone with vastly more knowledge, such as Jon Fitness or Mike (Stationmaster), of the signalling will be along to explain it properly.

Jinty ;)

Right I'm not a signalman, but as I understand it they are a fixed distant for each leg of the triangle. The left one to cover the route to North Junction and the home signal there, and the right one to cover to East Junction and the home signal there. I think they are in the fixed position because the home signal at both of the junctions mentioned are not very far away, so proceeding at caution was the order of the day. 

I probably haven't explained myself very well, and I probably lack some of the correct terminology, but I hope I have relayed my understanding of it alright.

No doubt someone with vastly more knowledge, such as Jon Fitness or Mike (Stationmaster), of the signalling will be along to explain it properly.

Jinty ;)

From what I understood from Mike / The Stationmaster when doing my Kings Moreton, the GWR used a lot of Fixed Distant Signals, prior to a Home Signal, just as a warning.

• RMweb Gold

The use of a fixed distant under a stop signal is to keep the train speed down prior to the next signal which either has to be passed at a restricted speed or the train is going to have to stop.

In the case of Tallyllyn Junction West there would be a need for slow speed due to the further token exchanges at TJ East. or TJ North depending on the route the train was taking.

The whole triangle from whichever direction it was approached was protected by a fixed  distant under the respective starting signals.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right - we are getting there.  GWR practice, which basically continued on the WR until the 1960s, was to maintain a Distant Signal at caution if there was a restriction of speed to 15 mph or lower between the Home Signal and Section signal to which it applied.  On single lines there was inevitably such a restriction at crossing stations and at places where tokens etc had to be exchanged therefore GWR practice was to use a Fixed Distant because the principle meant that there would never be an occasion on which the distant signals could be cleared to the 'off' position so it was a waste of money providing a worked distant. 

Hence as Richard ('Happy Hippo') as explained above the Distant Signals for Talyllyn East Jcn and TJ North Jcn which you see on that bracket structure were both fixed at caution.  Similarly Tayllyn West Jcn's own Distant Signals were also fixed at caution for the same reasons.  

The distance between those Distant Signals and the stop signals to which they applied is not relevant - the key point (on the GWR/WR) is the presence of a restriction of speed in advance of the Home Signals to which those Distant Signals apply.  Thus worked distants could be found where signalboxes were much closer together than the three at Talyllyn Jcn.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot done over this last week or so as a major disaster in the house occurred which meant that some unforeseen heavy investment was undertaken and once finished has left me with a bathroom to pretty much rebuild!!!!! Contractors were finished last Saturday and I've been getting busy with stripping all down ready for new flooring, tiling, plumbing, radiator, etc, etc...........................

Anyway on to more interesting projects.

I acquired a couple of Lionheart 14t tankers a few weeks ago which obviously needed weathering.

I've set about them with dirt washes, rust pigment, and oil stain washes. Not wanting to go over the top as these were 'In service' wagons and are ideal for the pick-up goods train.

Here are a few pictures, which are cruel and show me a couple of areas which I think need more attention. 

post-14906-0-66841600-1526715417_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-13791500-1526715426_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-11619800-1526715434_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-79280800-1526715442_thumb.jpg

More once I can get this bathroom finished.

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

Looks good Jints, were the pics taken outside in the sunshine, as they look more natural than under spot lights?

Yes Andy they were.

A bit of early morning Welsh sunshine this morning, so I took advantage ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Bathrooms... been there, done that, fervently wish never to need to do it again.

I did the kitchen about 12 years back, and really enjoyed it. I did the bathroom about 3 years back and hated it with a vengeance. The difference, apart from being 9 years older, was that when I did the kitchen I was a house-dad, and when I did the bathroom, I was working in Scotland & Poland and getting home after a week away to more DIY was not wonderful.

Maybe when I’m retired, that particular mojo will resurface, but I doubt it...

I’m going to flush the central heating today... whoopee!

Btw, the oil tankers are nice. Shame they’re more 1950’s than 1920’s

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

I full sympathise with Jint's bathroom problems knowing the origins go back to 1990. My sister lived further down the road and her husband was in our bungalow doing some plumbing preparatory to us moving in when he got a very strange phone-call from her. "She says she is surrounded by water....Must have left a tap running or something.....I had better go check."   That 'tap' turned out to be the Irish Sea, which hit them time after time for the next four days and became known on the media as the 'Towyn Floods'. Raw sewage was everywhere and it became a dangerous health area. We knew the sea water was slowly working its way down the marsh 'the back way' to Pensarn and we awoke at my sons house completely surrounded with water lapping under the floorboards, no electricity and flipping cold. DIY "experts" found it fertile ground afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...