34027 'Taw Valley' and her tender...

While idly searching the internet to gain a perspective of how close 34027 was to returning to steam, something struck me as odd about the tender.

To be entirely historically accurate, 34027 should have a 5,500 gallon Light Pacific tender. However, from photos I could find, it appears to be coupled to a 5,100 gallon Merchant Navy tender that's been modified with the central running 'stepped' water tank to resemble a 5,500g. I deduced this, as the coal bunker is far too long for a 5,500g tender, and both the frames and water tank look too shallow as well. In addition, the coal 'guard' looks a little too tall for a 5,500g tender.

As a result, I think it can be one of two possibilities: 

1) It's a 5,100 gallon MN tender, that's been made to resemble a 5,500g LP tender. (Think Tangmere) 
2) It's a 5,500 gallon LP tender, that's been modified with an extended/hightened coal bunker.

In addition, as the engine is to return to the mainline, it appears to have 3 Air Brake reservoirs a-top the tender instead of 4 Vacuum brake reservoirs, to allow use of the engine with Air-Braked stock. So are the 4 Vacuum reservoirs mounted beneath the tender, as they are on 'Clan Line'?

Regards,
Matt

The tender is a preservation tank. Built in the late 80s.
The three tanks are vacuum tanks. Air tanks I believe are under the tender.

Where did you get that she is returning to the mainline?
She is being restored to mainline standard but wont be heading over the fence at Kidderminster.

• RMweb Premium

From memory the wheels are from a class 47. She made it to Kidderminster for the first time yesterday, so hopefully soon we can enjoy two West Country's again. I don't remember Phil saying she was going mainline, however the air system is going back in so that it can work air braked trains coming in off the main line.

• RMweb Premium

For those interested, having now completed light engine running in tests I understand TV will be making a number of loaded test runs this week. I would quote times,(9.35 ex BN,10.30 ex Kidder 1.02 ex BN and 2.45 ex Kidder) but the class 73 is also due for testing this week so I am not sure if all the test runs are for TV.

Duncan

• 4 weeks later...

Taw Valley heading out of the shed yard at Bridgnorth this morning to attach to the 11:00 departure.

post-7049-0-55094200-1433685895_thumb.jpg

On the few occasions I have seen her since returning to steam a couple of weeks ago, there is always excessive steam leakage around the front end and a rather odd sound like a pump of some sort. I have never noticed this on any Light Pacific before and certainly not on Sir Keith Park. Can anyone suggest what this could be?

Regardless, she looks in fine fettle ( I particularly like the black backed nameplates) and a credit to all the hard graft by the restoration team.

Regards,

Andy.

Taw Valley heading out of the shed yard at Bridgnorth this morning to attach to the 11:00 departure.

attachicon.gif34027 Taw Valley.jpg

On the few occasions I have seen her since returning to steam a couple of weeks ago, there is always excessive steam leakage around the front end and a rather odd sound like a pump of some sort. I have never noticed this on any Light Pacific before and certainly not on Sir Keith Park. Can anyone suggest what this could be?

Regardless, she looks in fine fettle ( I particularly like the black backed nameplates) and a credit to all the hard graft by the restoration team.

Regards,

Andy.

It could possibly be an Air Pump to allow the engine to work with Air Braked stock.

'Clan Line' has this pump fitted within the back of her tender, and when I saw her last year, steam was seeping out through the gaps in the concealing doors.

• RMweb Premium

The 'pump' is between the frames just in front of the firebox, however our stock is all vacuum braked (that is in normal passenger use) I am not sure if the air system is yet fully finished, and very few are passed out on air brakes I would be surprised if it was the pump. I'm afraid when going off shed first thing with the taps open there is always tons of steam from this and every West Country I have ever been on (only 5 so not much compared to many) I've not been on SKP for a while and can't remember how she sounds.

I had the privilege of driving her two weeks ago and she is good, strong, accelerates well, at a cost of over 1.1million pounds to overhaul you would hope so. There are of course the little snags like the air brake pedestal which is closer to the reverser than when it was on last time resulting in cuts to your right hand if not careful.

Hope you enjoyed a ride behind her and were not too delayed by the class 50 failing.

Duncan

Thanks for the info Duncan. You can hear the noise and steam ejection I am referring to on Andy Y's video clip above, not just your usual flamboyant shed departure!

I didn't travel behind 34027 today but will be sure to in the next few weeks or so. I did see Ark Royal being unceremoniously dumped in the yard and the resulting chaos and delays. What was the problem with the 50? It certainly looks the bee's knee's following its repaint back into blue though.

Regards,

Andy.

Duncan,

The 50 wouldnt take power or keep power whilst working the DFE yesterday. Eventually, the station master and DSM shunt released BS1 (34053) and split the set into the Hollybusy/ carriage sidings. The class 20 then appeared later in the afternoon and headed south with the DFE stock.

Running round TV yesterday was very tight between the 6 coach marker and barrow crossing. If you were around yesterday. Taw Valleys whistle is blowing by which makes communication on the ground a challenge.

• RMweb Premium

Ahh I see, I had walked in at the point the Ops Manager was talking with one of the inspectors so all I knew was it was broken, thanks for the extra information.

I was locked away with the Ops Manager at Kidder offices doing interviews. I don't remember TV's whistle blowing a couple of weeks ago when I had her, however there are a number of things on the snagging list and I am sure it will be sorted.

Now all we need is a flat top as well... runs and dives for cover.

Archived