BRM June 2015

chrisf

There it is on the doormat and no thread yet.  Soon remedied.

Starring in both the magazine and the DVD is Up The Line by Kevin Hughes.  The article and the video item complement one another very well, better IMHO than any pairing of such items so far.  I'm guessing that this was one of the ideas behind the DVD originally but it does not always come across quite so well.

In the magazine Phil Parker's Second-Hand Savers continues with useful tips on rehabilitating some veteran rtr wagons.  This is a very good idea but the unwary may need some guidance on what is worth rescuing from sources at shows and what is not, for there is an awful lot of tat round fit only for landfill.  What's this?  Crikey, a Kenline kit!  I'm old enough to remember these.

Moving on, it is refreshing to see kits as well as rtr models included in the feature on what is expected to hit the shops before the end of the century.  Howard Smith''s P2 is a thing of beauty and it will be interesting to see how much it raises towards the cost of the full-size replica.  Tony Wright is on good form again with his embellishment of the Hornby K1 and merits several cheers for divulging the cure for the seldom tackled problem of the wrong lean on Walschaerts valve gear.

So that's my pick of the best in the magazine.  Others will have their own ideas.

Ah, the DVD.  It has a review by Ben Jones of the Bachmann Modified Hall.  Ben commends the fine detail but does not mention the incorrectness of the front end lamented in Model Rail.  In his review of the Bachmann/Farish showcase Howard uses the word "fantastic" rather a lot: I lost count after eight and was not counting the number of times that "superb" cropped up.  To be fair to Howard, his road-railer is a cracking model [did you spot the word I nearly used there?] and really rather clever.  I enjoyed Phil's piece on making buildings from card too but did I really miss his mention of that most essential tool, the cutting mat or did I lose concentration momentarily?

Chris

So no hint of an "absolutely", an "awesome", no misuse of "impact" alone as a verb nor any talk of "pushing the envelope" then? Could there still be hope for conventional use of normal traditional English English?

• RMweb Gold

Starring in both the magazine and the DVD is Up The Line by Kevin Hughes.  The article and the video item complement one another very well, better IMHO than any pairing of such items so far.  I'm guessing that this was one of the ideas behind the DVD originally but it does not always come across quite so well

Chris

Haven't got the June copy yet but I've found that each of the DVD's to date has enhanced my appreciation of the featured layout - in fact I've come to appreciate layouts that I didn't really rate at all in the magazine. Model Railways are all about movement and DVD's portray this in a way the printed page rarely can.

Count yourself lucky in the states super and awesome get used all the time, and if you are really lucky you get a super awesome, as if inspiring God is not enough, you have to inspire him a lot. When these two words are used on the BRM dvd then you know the English language is on the slide.

• Moderators

Good morning chaps,

Very pleased to hear the positive comments about both mag and DVD. Chris is right and when played back the use of the same adjectives numerous times is quiet noticeable. There are several takes between most of the shoots and it's hard to remember what word was last said 5 minutes previously.

On another note, I really hope that somebody will find the P2 a new home. It's a worthy cause and hopefully will help edge the progress made just that bit further.

Best,

Howard

Archived