Clerestory Coaches, Knowledge needed! - And other GWR ponderings.

You're right, and I keep forgetting that facility is there so I apologise!

It's different to what I've just imagined in my head, I thought the loco would be green!

It is green, but a rather darker green than in later years.

Satan's Goldfish - Motivational pictures:

(1) Modernity in the form of the prototype GW 4-6-0 at Dawlish in 1904; (2) Dean Single at Twyford, 1900; (3) Dean Single on Paddington-Falmouth express, 1898; (4) De Glehn Compound at Plymouth.  Look at the 4th coach.  It's a 70-foot Dreadnought.  Absolutely massive.  I love them; (4) Bulldog working over the South Devon banks.  Smaller wheels better for that job.

post-25673-0-04732800-1434662426_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-72033200-1434662545_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-09985200-1434662656_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-06540100-1434662912_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-93246600-1434663149_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Satan's Goldfish - Motivational pictures:

(1) Modernity in the form of the prototype GW 4-6-0 at Dawlish in 1904; (2) Dean Single at Twyford, 1900; (3) Dean Single on Paddington-Falmouth express, 1898; (4) De Glehn Compound at Plymouth.  Look at the 4th coach.  It's a 70-foot Dreadnought.  Absolutely massive.  I love them; (4) Bulldog working over the South Devon banks.  Smaller wheels better for that job.

Wonderful collection!  I especially like the assorted rake in the first (1904) photo but they're all fascinating.

If I was going to live forever, had a bank account of unlimited size, and a massive space available, I'd be modelling all of that! Plus a massive broad gauge layout as well!!!

And if Hattons have to commission a 4-6-0, why can't they do the one in the first picture!!!!!

Edited by BG John

Many thanks for sharing those, all those clerestorys are very motivational!

I've actually just been doing a little stock hunting, and unfortunately I've found the Airfix/Dapol City class kit!......

I've motorised one of those kits - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1405/entry-12756-tender-drive-a-convenient-short-cut/for more info.

post-19820-0-64495400-1434665017.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for that. I'd found a different thread on the kits and already started thinking tender drive would probably be 'simpler' and cheaper if I were to give it a go :)

Thank you for that. I'd found a different thread on the kits and already started thinking tender drive would probably be 'simpler' and cheaper if I were to give it a go :)

That's the way I did it. Unfortunately the K's tender drive unit I used is no longer available, though they turn up from time to time on eBay etc.

There's also the GBL model.....

• Like 1

G'day, all,

I also have been fascinated by GWR 4-4-0s. They are entertainingly challenging to construct and they look great hauling mixed rakes of GWR coaches.

I have motorised both Airfix/Dapol and GBL City class models. I believe the GBL model provides a better set of mouldings and therefore results in a better-looking working model. Here is how I made mine:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96216-motorise-gbl-city-of-truro/

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

Anyone thought of using a Bachmann Earl Chassis upon which to construct a fin de siècle Bulldog? 

The problem is the Bulldog's had No. 2 boilers, while the Cities had No. 4s, otherwise there should be no problem, as it is a Bulldog chassis. This has stopped me producing the Bulldog and both an Atbara and a Flower.  I did consider using the smokebox from a 61xx.

One day?

Anyone thought of using a Bachmann Earl Chassis upon which to construct a fin de siècle Bulldog? 

A friend has put a K's Bulldog boiler and cab over the Bachmann frames etc. One of the shortest projects, having taken just an afternoon.the original boiler/cab are only fixed with a couple of screws. One point. The boiler/cab arrangement have been designed by Bachmann, in such a way that it is clear that the Bulldog has been allowed for. The Earl chassis/frames can be mass produced for both models with just a new boiler/cab dropped on top. Being a K's heavy casting, haulage power is much improved over the original Earl.

Mike Wiltshire

The problem is the Bulldog's had No. 2 boilers, while the Cities had No. 4s, otherwise there should be no problem, as it is a Bulldog chassis. This has stopped me producing the Bulldog and both an Atbara and a Flower.  I did consider using the smokebox from a 61xx.

One day?

The Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol City model has an undersized boiler and is very close to a number 2 and can be altered with minimal effort. With the Bulldog boiler being pitched higher, both the K's and Airfix boilers will fit over the Bachmann frames. The k's boiler was chosen as it was much heavier.

Mike Wiltshire

Coach Bogie/Mr Wiltshire - That is the sort of thing I had in mind, and I am glad to hear that it has been tried and has worked.  Since the whitemetal Bulldog kits are out of production, I wondered if this was an opportunity for a resin body producer (wouldn't have the weight advantage unless you could pack it with liquid lead.

Now, what I hadn't realised is that Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol boiler is undersized - I have a couple of these kits from way-back, so I will dig them out (if I can find them) and compare them with the Bulldog drawings in Russell.  Thanks for the tips.

Coach Bogie/Mr Wiltshire - That is the sort of thing I had in mind, and I am glad to hear that it has been tried and has worked.  Since the whitemetal Bulldog kits are out of production, I wondered if this was an opportunity for a resin body producer (wouldn't have the weight advantage unless you could pack it with liquid lead.

Now, what I hadn't realised is that Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol boiler is undersized - I have a couple of these kits from way-back, so I will dig them out (if I can find them) and compare them with the Bulldog drawings in Russell.  Thanks for the tips.

South East Finecast have taken over the ex K's/Nucast moulds. They may be able to help.

Mike Wiltshire

I've compared these drawings with the Airfix kit before - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89093-branchlines-city-of-truro-complete-chassisdetailing-kit/?p=1550640

Mike, that is helpful, thanks.  Clearly the smokebox would need to be extended.  I also note that the boiler cone is not so different.  It may be feasible to replace the forward part of the boiler and smokebox with larger diameter plastic tube.  After all, it is the tapering that would be the tricky bit. If SE Finecast can supply a whitemetal body, that would be even simpler, and the point about adhesion is also in its favour.

But, wait!  Isn't this a thread primarily about clerestory coaches posted in a rolling stock board (or whatever it's called)!

Back on topic. Hornby clerestory, replacement Bettabitz side, separate door handles etc.

post-9992-0-18184500-1434711738_thumb.jpg

For comparison E73 from Mallard Blacksmith kit (using Hornby bogies)

post-9992-0-89018400-1434712077_thumb.jpg

New sides just as good as a complete brass kit. There are unused sides out there. Just picked up a mail van at a show.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the continued knowledge!

Next: 4-4-0s, terminuses, and turntables!

So I'm working on my multipurpose Minories plan and trying to keep it as compact as I can. The bit that's giving me the most headache is the loco stabling and turntable area. I probably can already guess the answer to this, but would City and County 4-4-0s and Dean Singles have ever run tender first with carriages? If not, what size turntable am I looking for? The original 'keep it simple off the shelf' plan was to use an old Hornby table I have sat around spare, but the size is proving the problem.

Ta

Satan's Goldfish, I think you were going for a mid-Edwardian period, were you not?

If so, 4-4-0s like Cities and Counties would have been new/newish express passenger engines.  The Minories is for a compact city station such as might see inner and outer suburban traffic.  It is, therefore, likely to be far smaller than the stations to which Cities and Counties would travel.  There may be exceptions, even in this period, but it might be worth a thought about the traffic that might best typify the sort of location you have in mind.  Look at Mikkel's Farthing, a superb example.

Having said that, Rule Number One exists to allow you to run whatever you like.

I doubt the Great Western would have much cared to have these tender engines running backward for any length hauling fee paying passengers. 

Try the Dapol table, it's more GW than the others, though it is not a motorised item.

Edited by Edwardian

Thought so!

The Minories plan is the basis, but it's due to look like something grander than that, it's actually going to have 4 main platforms and possibly a bay, plus a nice big overall roof. Bit of a retro look with older Hornby ready to plonk buildings means if the kids damage it it's not such a big deal. It's alternative use will be 80s/90s Lima stock, size wise it probably could pull off being a suburban terminus in that guise!

I'm off to investigate the Dapol table, cheers.