APT-P - lobbying and modelling

Anthony566

• RMweb Premium

Devil's Advocate:

to compare it to Rapido's Canadian,

The Canadian has been in service for about 60 years

There have been 3 main paint schemes, all pretty simple (until recently)

The car structure has been unchanged until the current rebuildings

The cars have run in other trains, as have the locos.

The train does run through a country with a population comparable to London (well, it was when I was in school).

Most of this could be recorded at Crewe with the exception of the traction motors and MA set

Sounds good to me! Come on Jason I know you want to produce the finest model possible!

Rob

www.apt-p.com

Maybe a Class 91 could provide a close approximation for the traction motor/gearbox sounds Rob?

No need for that Kit, I already have recordings of the traction motor blowers at Crewe, plus the tilt pumps, horns, doors, right away beeper, compressor, even the horn in the power car. I'd estimate I have recordings of around 80% of all the sounds the original ever made. Next question.....!

My own upgraded Hornby model has three sound chips (old 8Mb v3.5's!) and four speakers. There is one chip and speaker in each end and one chip in a power car feeding speakers in both power cars. All sounds are routed appropriately. It is very effective and could easily be reproduced commercially if designed in from the beginning by Rapido. Over to you Jason :-)

Bif

Ah, the little known diesel version of the APT-P.  :no:  :O

Hi KIt

actually I recently found evidence of plans for a diesel version and one for the Southern Region (would this have been Third Rail Electric??) and a version for the Channel Tunnel !

All listed in a file from 1977, sadly I only have the list of files that were stored in the CM&EE Room 59 Trent House, I hope the actual documents are safe at the RDDS.

Rob

http://www.APT-P.com

Ah, the little known diesel version of the APT-P.  :no:  :O

Hi KIt

actually I recently found evidence of plans for a diesel version and one for the Southern Region (would this have been Third Rail Electric??) and a version for the Channel Tunnel !

All listed in a file from 1977, sadly I only have the list of files that were stored in the CM&EE Room 59 Trent House, I hope the actual documents are safe at the RDDS.

Rob

http://www.APT-P.com

post-1305-0-93924900-1433650314_thumb.jpg

WOW! Where did he get the inspiration for that? - even the real thing in C.F.Booths Ltd weren't that bad.

True, but after a few years outside at Crewe without a wash, T-CUT or repaint it did!

As for the power car 49006 before it moved to Coventry ERM that was in a different league, see attached from the ERM website.

Rob

post-1305-0-88076700-1433806299.jpg

Edited by aptp

WOW! Where did he get the inspiration for that? - even the real thing in C.F.Booths Ltd weren't that bad.

See Hugh Searles photos at Rotherham: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35476094@N04/8497462711/in/album-72157632832235566/

Maybe from the APT-P Power Car that's part of the National Collection. That was in a DIABOLICAL condition when it was at Shildon, but it's been improved a bit since it moved to the ERM at Coventry.

[beat me by half an hour Rob.  :no: ]

EJUori.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• RMweb Gold

Maybe from the APT-P Power Car that's part of the National Collection. That was in a DIABOLICAL condition when it was at Shildon, but it's been improved a bit since it moved to the ERM at Coventry.

[beat me by half an hour Rob.  :no: ]

EJUori.jpg

That is so sad, to think that such an iconic train can end like this. It ought to be ought there running today like the HST still is.

The NRM stored it away at Kineton I think, but I'm sure Rob will correct me if I'm wrong.

They 'looked after it' in the same way as they did APT-E, ie, by just ignoring it for 20+ years. Not what I'd really expect from the Science Museum I'm afraid, and it's down to people like the APT-E Conservation and Support Group and the Electric Railway Museum to actually get something done. Even then we're foiled at almost every turn by the excessive bureaucracy of the organisation and the overbearing attitude of some of the staff, some of whom who seem only to be interested in funding and displaying rail vehicles that have fireboxes and funnels.

I'm sure that won't make me many friends at York, Shildon and Kensington but I feel it needs to be said.

If it wasn't for my mum we probably wouldn't have 49006 today as a previous manager at The Railway Age sold the power car for scrap. By pure chance mum was in the office and answered a phone call from the boss of the scrap company who rang to check that "all hazardous substances had been drained from it" as his team were about to light their cutting torches!! Mum told him to stop working and rang Richard Gibbon at the nrm who then called the scrapman straight back.

Rob

• Like 2

After looking at your shots on the P-Train web site I'll retract some of the things I said earlier about the NRM. 49006 looked to be in pretty bad shape even before it left Crewe! I didn't realise it had had been part of the Crew P-Train set at all, so you learn something new every day.

Here's a couple of other shots of 49006 at the ERM after the guys there had got at it with a square mile of wet-and-dry paper, half a ton of filler and a few gallons of primer. It's not so easy to get pics of the west side of it unless you're filly kitted out in jungle gear!

RWluPB.jpg

EtkAHQ.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

The paint and bodywork on 49006 wasn't touched at all since it left BR until it arrived at the ERM so it was just the environment that caused the deterioration.

The sunny side heated up so much it expanded then cooled, in winter water got behind the cracks in the paint, froze and made it worse.

Rob

www.apt-p.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...