APT-P - lobbying and modelling

Anthony566

18 minutes ago, UP 4000 said:

Yes.

There has been a lot of talk about it in the Hornby section since it was announced yesterday.

For Hornby's sake, I hope it sells well. I certainly want one too.

On 11/05/2015 at 14:57, Igor said:

I think this is a must for Rapido considering the interest in the APT-e.

Just think, this one actually ran in passenger service and shouldn't have the clearance problems.

With six half sets built I think there is plenty of milage for a short and a full set. If the one off experimental train can command 1600 sales then this has to be a magnitude above. More than triple that figure?

And yes, I'd would have one or two of these to run alongside 85s etc.

Given the hype and the Forum talk about the APT P I mean that in a good way.
Make s you wonder if Rapido will consider looking a the APT E again. Going by the second hand prices a lot of models wish they had one. I for one would love one so thats only 1599 to find LOL
john

1 hour ago, oleander said:

Given the hype and the Forum talk about the APT P I mean that in a good way.
Make s you wonder if Rapido will consider looking a the APT E again. Going by the second hand prices a lot of models wish they had one. I for one would love one so thats only 1599 to find LOL
john

Suggest you (and anyone else interested) use the contact information on the Rapido website to make your interest known - Rapido does not on a regular basis check the various forums so comments on here could be missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mdvle said:

Suggest you (and anyone else interested) use the contact information on the Rapido website to make your interest known - Rapido does not on a regular basis check the various forums so comments on here could be missed.

Like most manufacturing companies, they will make it if they believe (not just hope) they will sell enough to make money from it.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Like most manufacturing companies, they will make it if they believe (not just hope) they will sell enough to make money from it.

Yep, and one of the ways they base the decision on is feedback - like the guy who sent them a lot of postcards asking for the MLW M420 and has thus been immortalized on the product page - https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/diesel-locomotives/ho-scale-mlw-m420

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Yep, and one of the ways they base the decision on is feedback - like the guy who sent them a lot of postcards asking for the MLW M420 and has thus been immortalized on the product page - https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/diesel-locomotives/ho-scale-mlw-m420

That is some desperation for a model! Maybe postage stamps are cheaper over there - i'm sure if we did the same to a UK manufacturer let alone to Canada, i'm sure we could perhaps have covered the cost of tooling in postage stamps :D

17 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I was speaking to Gareth at the York mre I think 2018 they'd just launched the Turbo in N scale and was asking if there was any plans to re-release it in HO/OO. as things went on got talking about the APT-e and a possible re-release of that too. He did say they could be a 2nd run coming so they have thought about it, At the moment I don't think they want to commit to anything the way the brexit crap is going on and current economic situation.

Don't forget the HSDT is still on the backburner for the same reason.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UP 4000 said:

I was speaking to Gareth at the York mre I think 2018 they'd just launched the Turbo in N scale and was asking if there was any plans to re-release it in HO

Jason has hinted in various places about the HO Turbo being redesigned/redone to allow it to be done again, so it is likely more a question of when rather than if.

25 minutes ago, UP 4000 said:

talking about the APT-e and a possible re-release of that too. He did say they could be a 2nd run coming so they have thought about it, At the moment I don't think they want to commit to anything the way the brexit crap is going on and current economic situation.

Don't forget the HSDT is still on the backburner for the same reason.

While there are issues which impact the risk of undertaking new tooling given the amount of money involved and the time lag, those don't apply in the same way to re-using existing tooling.

So a second run of the APT-E is potentially more likely if Rapido feels the demand is there, or if say a partner in essence commissioned the second run from Rapido if some different thinking is taken.

The APT was a rapido model and all theirs.

The HSDT is somebody else's initiative that Rapido were originally going to produce for them on their behalf.

A Locomotion chap intimated to me at Warley that Rapido may not necessarily produce it if it does eventually go ahead (after somebody on the Rapido stand told me to go and gee Locomotion up to get it going!).

Edited by Holmesfeldian

25 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

The APT was a rapido model and all theirs.

The HSDT is somebody else's initiative that Rapido were originally going to produce for them on their behalf.

A Locomotion chap intimated to me at Warley that Rapido may not necessarily produce it if it does eventually go ahead (after somebody on the Rapido stand told me to go and gee Locomotion up to get it going!).

The APT-e is a partnership with Rapido and Locomotion Models so is the HSDT, The HSDT was announced to follow up on the APT-e and after the Stirling but they were forced to announce it early as the was speculation that another manufacturer was going to jump on it.

Reasons it's currently on the backburner are economic situation http://www.rapidouk.com/oo-br-prototype-hst/ the APT-e took a lot out of them and the single Stirling took longer than anticipated due to design issues. At the same time while speaking to Gareth at York 2018 another issue was the MK3 coaches, Oxford Rail had announced them at a £30 - £35 price tag, Rapido couldn't touch this, there's would have been £80 - £90, one thing Rapido can't do is skimp on detail, they pride themselves that most of there detail can't be seen.

A lot of obstacles seemed to have hit the HSDT all at once, In time I hope it does happen, Dapol is doing the HSDT in N scale, that should be here back end of 2020 early 2021.

Speculation on my part.

The tooling for the APT-E (and likely Stirling Single) is likely Rapido's, and thus they can do additional runs either with or without Locomotion.  It was a useful partnership for both, but like most/all Locomotion exclusives the tooling is used for non-Locomotion releases as well.  The stumbling block is both whether there is sufficient demand for another run, and the lack of an official Rapido UK office to handle it.

Regardless, the only way to put another run on Rapido's radar is by giving them direct feedback or for someone to approach them about doing a deal.

The Gunpowder Van, Rapido have hinted somebody else will likely do (and it doesn't take a lot to guess).

The HSDT is essentially abandoned at this point, and if someone else wanted to approach Locomotion about doing it I suspect a deal could be made.  The obvious choice is Dapol, who have done research, but it may be that without the corresponding Mk3 models that it isn't attractive to anyone.  Alternately at some point in the future Rapido may revisit it.  Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2020 at 22:09, mdvle said:

The obvious choice is Dapol, who have done research, but it may be that without the corresponding Mk3 models that it isn't attractive to anyone.  Alternately at some point in the future Rapido may revisit it.  Time will tell.

Unless you go with the standard preserved mk3 vehicles 41001 has been rolling about with until the NRM repo’d it.

Edited by adb968008