Scottish Diesel and Electric Group (SDEG)

gridwatcher

We are in a position to announce the formation of a new group based in Central Scotland. Mainly guys who were involved in Stirling Club for a few years who have left to pursue a more focussed interest in diesel era finer scale and DCC modelling. We are owners of some notable layouts "Hazelbank" 4mm (going to DEMU Burton 2015) 'Airthrey Park" 4mm 'Harlyn Road" 7mm Dalnottar Riverside" 7mm "Cement Quay" 4mm "Brewhouse Quay" 4mm 'Waddon Marsh' 4mm Campo De Leste 3.5mm Portuguese HO amongst others. We are in position to offer the above and several others for exhibition and would hope to do 2 or 3 English shows per year. We are already invited to Festival Of British Railway modelling 2016 with Hazelbank. The group is entirely a DCC operation (and almost exclusively a DCC sound organisation too!) We have layouts at several locations in Scottish Central belt at present and would hope to have a formal club room and meeting night organised very soon. Please ping me a PM if you are interested in speaking to us/joining. We will be at Burton as mentioned and hope to see a number of you there?! We model in 2mm 4mm and 7mm and are generally 'Blue Diesel' modellers though we stray into the 90s and even the Noughties on occasion. Also modelling US/Canadian HO and Portuguese HO. Currently membership numbers around 20 like minded guys 'of a certain age'. We will keep you informed of any developments in premises and show invites. Website is www.sdeg.co.uk (Photos by Chris Nevard and Nigel Burkin)

post-657-0-15434100-1431255101_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-90163000-1431255187_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-20299000-1431255257_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-59407000-1431255277_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-92064200-1431255287_thumb.jpg

A great group of people who have a superb standard of modelling skills and abilities. Realism of loco's and stock is phenomenal, weathering, sound and the ability of members to sctratch build the 'weird & wonderful' seen on the rail network. Layout wise, the group can provide any exhibition with a layout which are some of the best around as well as,well known around the circuit, which would attract visitors alone. For those who are familiar with the likes of Hazelbank, Airthrey Park and Kinlochewe to name but a few, will know the standard SDEG is operating at.

Exciting times ahead in Central Scotland indeed with this new group

Hi guys,

Best wishes for the future, I have seen Hazelbank and Airthey Park which are both great layouts. Try Merseyside MRS for a booking in their show in the Wirral (Wallasey) usually end of October each year. I was at one time exhibition manager but I only do my own now, decent club now in their 64 year!

I am visiting the Trossachs (Strathyre) in early July, do you have any local shows planned for that period, would love to see something while I'm up there.

Busy getting the diesel fleet fettled for Burton DEMU Showcase. The lads should also be suitably attired by then?? Come and have a chat with us. We are at The National Brewery Centre (yes really!!) all weekend and prefer talking to drinking..... (ahem!)

I am currently building up a large collection of N gauge DCC for Glasgow Queen Street
Sadly the layout won't be portable, but wouldn't mind supplying my rolling stock for a local club
Just can't find one with a Scottish theme in DCC

• 3 weeks later...

Delighted to let Guy (lyneux) Molyneux have his ARC etc wagons stretch their legs on Sunday at DEMU. Sad that we couldn't find more suitable traction but they ran very well and looked superb. A long story that involved the late and dear Andy Elliott's commission from Rob Jakob at Yeoman to build the ARC hoppers which were only part done when he died. Suspect it was Hugh Searle who may have actually built the bodies? Can anyone confirm? Guy has done a splendid job finishing them off and delighted that they are OO so we could run them. No 'strange sect and weird handshakes' required here then!! 

post-657-0-86775100-1433143319_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-22890100-1433143332_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-79189600-1433143342_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-79214000-1433143358_thumb.jpg

Very nice seeing Hazelbank at Burton over the weekend. It has a very convincing 'feel' to it and there is obviously a great deal of effort goes into getting the trains right with both the locos and (more importantly for me) stock being well weathered and in appropriate formations.

Keep up the good work chaps.

Cheers

David

Very nice seeing Hazelbank at Burton over the weekend. It has a very convincing 'feel' to it and there is obviously a great deal of effort goes into getting the trains right with both the locos and (more importantly for me) stock being well weathered and in appropriate formations.

Keep up the good work chaps.

Cheers

David

Thanks very much David. Glad you appear to have had as much fun as we did. We played a bit fast a loose with history and scrapping dates in the early bit of Saturday but who could resist a pair of Claytons one blue/one green chuntering along on the front of a large mixed vac braked freight on 'The Waverley'?? Mark in our group died and went to heaven when he met Kit (Dr Tilt) for the first time later that day too. The Derby RTC connection is now firmly made and more oddities will appear in due course!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on progress of the group. Had a very successful first show foray at DEMU and we are now kitted out and ready for show 2 which will be Airthrey Park at Ayr Show in September. We have now (thanks to Stephen and Graeme) taken safe delivery of Chris Nevard's Cement Quay and Brewhouse Quay as Chris's wife decided she wanted her spare room back! The layouts will be wired for DCC (as you might expect) and will be available in the near future for shows. I have already played at dressing them up and putting some of our stock on them to give you a flavour of what to expect. Cement Quay will mainly run as Western Region 1970s/80s and Hydraulics will feature large! Brewhouse might have an 03 or 08 footling around but we are keen for a Heljan 05 or Judith Edge kit built industrial too? Please PM me if you would be keen to have either of Chris's great layouts at a show. We also have Dalnottar Riverside O Gauge DCC Blue diesel era which is featuring in Model Rail magazine at the moment now delivered from Nevard Towers. 

post-657-0-86433900-1434903648_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-93725700-1434903747_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-08053200-1434903785_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-67680800-1434903825_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

First 'Scottish' outing this weekend at Ayr Show went really well. We have plenty of SDEG branding! New T Shirts, metal club badges, SDEG nameplates on the layout and plenty of friendly banter from punters and other exhibitors. Had a great time and as usual 'Airthrey Park' performed perfectly with no loco casualties other than a recalcitrant 'Haymarket' which is now in the works.. 

post-657-0-96827800-1442818261_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-43143500-1442818275_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-94054800-1442818286_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-45678700-1442818368_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-78329400-1442818383_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that we have been accepted into the fold at AMRSS (Assoc of Model Railway Societies of Scotland) at their last meeting. To that end and because of our late entry we have been Invited as guests to MODELRAIL Scotland show 2016 in February. We have been asked to bring 'Cement Quay' Chris Nevard's iconic layout which is being rebuilt and will feature DCC/Sound and will generally be a 1970s Western Region Hydraulics layout (however we reserve the right to 'Mix it up' a bit!!) See you there.

• 1 month later...

Happy to report that we will be at Falkirk on 28/29 Nov 2015with two layouts. Harlyn Road O gauge. Cliff Williams' sound fitted preserved railway where anything (and most things usually) goes and goes noisily! Also debuting will be Mark Pearson's Welby Lane.  RTC layout also sound fitted but OO. Based on Old Dalby Test Track and featuring loads of ODD BALLS! Show details are here...... http://www.falkirkmrc.co.uk/falkirk-model-railway-exhibitionand the layout details are at    www.sdeg.co.uk

Also HAZELBANK will be at RAILEX NORTHEAST running in 1990-93 Sector mode. The dates for that are 12th13th Dec

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We will be heading south for Fetsival Of BRM at Doncaster where our guest operator on Hazelbank will be Ben Jones no less!! The layout will run in a distictively mid 70s guise on day one thanks largley to SLW 24s having arrived, a Prototype HST set being on hand and the 'vain hope' that Rapido will cough the APT before we get there!.... and early mid 80s on day two. See you there... Simon Graeme Jim and crew!

• 1 month later...

Cement Quay is ready to go to Glasgow at the end of the week. This is a completely rebuilt layout. Jim Reid has rewired the layout and built a structure and legs which it never had to make it into a proper exhibition layout. DCC wired now and a stable of sound fitted Hymeks Warships, Westerns and 33s ready to roill... We also have member Bill Wood debuting his new layout Glenfinnan which is DCC sound fitted rendition of the famous Glenfinnan station on the Mallaig extension of the West Highland line. Looks very fine indeed. See you in Glasgow people! The West Coast Mainline looks like it will be open as normal too! 

Archived