Dirt path way

Help please,I want to model a gravel dirt path,The sort of walkway you see cutting across a field ,It is in o gauge,I have done a fairly good job of the grass,but i cannot get the pathway looking realistic,So any tips please or pointers to other threads on it, Thankyou Garry

Personally I would use real dried soil, sieved into different grades (sizes) and sprinkled onto PVA, fine stuff in the middle with the coarser size to the edges then once dry possibly a bit of dry brush painting and a few weeds.

• RMweb Premium

If you mean the sort of path where the farmer ploughs either side each year then a layer of DAS clay would perhaps work, slightly raised from the surrounding field as the soil is ploughed away from the path every year. Of course paths across field always have puddles or muddy bits depending on the season.

It's well worth getting hold of a copy of 'Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing' by Gordon Gravett, it has a section on muddy trackways, there's stuff in there that I still have difficulty in believing is not real!

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly a path, but I did this farm track in 00 by painting a thick layer of neat Burnt Umber artist's acrylic onto the piece before I static-grassed it, and then once grassed, I used a broad brush to gather up the static fibres where I wanted the track, to leave the paint underneath, and then chucked some small "N" gauge gravel at it.

post-17302-0-77505700-1431435313_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-14763300-1431435328_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Just found some better photos of the process:

Static grass applied over the top of the paint:

post-17302-0-02340500-1431435736_thumb.jpg

and then the fibres brushed away whilst the paint is still wet:

post-17302-0-50407700-1431435756_thumb.jpg

Absolutely, real sieved and ground soil - as in photo below - also use ash from bonfires.... Comes in a wide variety of colours, and is extremely useful for paths, tracks, roads, 'soil' etc.... I use it a lot!

IMG_9640.jpg

And ash....

IMG_9635.jpg

• 9 months later...

These paths are on the tops of the embankments on the (in build) 7mm model of Heaton Lodge Junction. I used earth from the garden, sieved it after baking it dry for 10 mins in a warm oven. Thin layer of glue first then sprinkle it on..

post-25007-0-31612400-1456841120_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-47627600-1456841200_thumb.jpg

Archived