Model Bus Repaints

crompton 33

• 4 weeks later...

That PD3 could look good in Top Deck Travel livery. I know they were keen on Lodekkas which could run anywhere in Europe without bashing overbridges, but you could focus on a UK usage. If you do not want to remodel the interior for sleeping and feeding there are lots of windows you could blank out crudely, but otherwise a straightforward repaint.

https://cms.topdeck.travel/images/images/media/Topdeck-Old-Buses.jpg

http://www.indiaoverland.biz/overland/operators/images/TopDeck/topdeck-bus1.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2255/2239812852_835009bd6e_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some current repaint WiP's, all to eventually become London Country SNB vehicles, at least they have a good coat of NBC Leaf Green, hopefully they wont take too long to finish!

post-2544-0-95254200-1533471143_thumb.jpg

Edited by wamwig
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have done a roof chop on a southdown Guy before as somebody wanted one .  I used a Dremel to cut the roof off . Yes the Fleetline is a good one to do as i've got one spare.  Transfers are easy to get .  Was  go'ing to do a Alexander Y in Eastbourne Livery as they had one in the 1980's.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

The NBC colours were rather bland, red or green. There were other colours that companies within the NBC empire could use but only one did so. The Notts and Derby chose blue but it didn't last long as they were soon absorbed into a red or green company.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, fodenway said:

East Yorkshire (EYMS) were also blue. Didn't Northern retain yellow for a while, or am I mistaken?

East Yorkshire like Notts and Derby also disappeared into another group. In both instances before the entire fleet was repainted. The Northern 'Yellow' fleet were painted that colour for routes that were shared with Newcastle Corporation,  the original Northern colour was red.

The four blue NBC subsidiaries were Midland General, East Yorkshire, Sunderland District and Jones of Aberbeeg (all adopted slightly different shades). Northern General and its subsidiaries adopted yellow for services within the Tyneside (later Tyne & Wear) PTE area prior to adopting the full PTE yellow and white livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/5776098357/in/album-72157628652705215/

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

With apologies for going slightly O/T, reading the above I have always wondered: why did most NBC companies choose red or green when blue or yellow were options? OK, yellow might be a bit left-field, but blue was a common bus colour as well as red and green, yet most chose those two. Was it do do with deliveries of new buses? Ease of tansferring between fleets? But in those cases, it's just as likely to be red instead of green as blue or yellow. Or was it just a case of "it was how it was"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The NBC was formed from two separate bus companies. The nationalised Tilling Group and the privately owned BET group. The Tilling group had two basic liveries, red and green but there was many variations in how colours were distributed even within individual companies. Principally the amount of cream applied and where on the bus. The BET group had a variety of colours and shades but they were required to comply with the corporate image which meant that the distinctive liveries of some companies such as Southdown green disappeared. The vast majority of the BET companies had various shades of green or red but in that there was an enormous variation in shades of colour, red for example varied from an almost orange colour to a deep reddish brown. There was also the problem that blue  did not weather all that well.

• Like 2

The only real choice was between red and green. Blue wasn't a freely available option and was only used with special dispensation, possibly where existing paint stocks were exceptionally large. This is why there was no standard NBC blue, just a range of pre-NBC blues (East Yorkshire and Sunderland District being noticeably darker than the other two). Jones may have received preferential treatment, given that it was maintained as a small autonomous unit for NBC management training. Yellow was a colour imposed upon the NBC under its operating agreement with the Tyneside PTE.

Edited by northernblue109
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

48 minutes ago, divibandit said:

Evening everyone,

I'm enjoying this thread but I have a question.

Does anyone know of a match for Ulsterbus blue? It's a mid blue, not dissimilar to Jones of Aberbeeg.

I know the cream/ivory is a Cherry/Precision colour.

Steve

This is the obviously the colour you are looking for.....

00-847a.JPG.3fb08532ee159d1aa427c5bc341e8525.JPG

I've looked at the Humbrol paint chart and nothing their really matches, and I expect Revell to be the same. None of the Revell blues I have match it.

It may pay you to think of other sources of paint, as when I was trying to match a blue for some G-Scale models I was kitbashing/scratchbuilding, I actually ended up using a B&Q domestic paint which was called "Moody Blue" that wasn't that far off the shade I wanted. It looks nearer to the Ulsterbus blue than what is on the Humbrol paint chart as well!!

G193.jpg.a9892d611814da3e07ca6b60bc7d2b20.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/12/2020 at 14:21, Johann Marsbar said:

This is the obviously the colour you are looking for.....

00-847a.JPG.3fb08532ee159d1aa427c5bc341e8525.JPG

I've looked at the Humbrol paint chart and nothing their really matches, and I expect Revell to be the same. None of the Revell blues I have match it.

It may pay you to think of other sources of paint, as when I was trying to match a blue for some G-Scale models I was kitbashing/scratchbuilding, I actually ended up using a B&Q domestic paint which was called "Moody Blue" that wasn't that far off the shade I wanted. It looks nearer to the Ulsterbus blue than what is on the Humbrol paint chart as well!!

G193.jpg.a9892d611814da3e07ca6b60bc7d2b20.jpg

Thanks Johann, that's very useful, I'd better get on to their website but I might have to wait a while to pick it up.

Steve

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 23:03, northernblue109 said:

The four blue NBC subsidiaries were Midland General, East Yorkshire, Sunderland District and Jones of Aberbeeg (all adopted slightly different shades). Northern General and its subsidiaries adopted yellow for services within the Tyneside (later Tyne & Wear) PTE area prior to adopting the full PTE yellow and white livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/5776098357/in/album-72157628652705215/

Just for fun someone has done a Northern Olympian in cobalt blue NBC style...

C653LJR 3653 Derry Hill

• Like 4