Naive Queries Concerning LSWR Locomotives

Forgive me, so far I have relatively few books relating to the LSWR, and I would be particularly grateful for a recommendation for (a) a tome that will help me get a firm grasp on the South Western's locomotive liveries, and (b) any source of locomotive drawings.

In the meantime, I would be grateful for any help with the following:

(i) Does anyone know if it is practicable to back-date the Hornby T9 to its pre-grouping appearance?  Clearly the model features an extended smoke-box, but I wondered whether there are other changes to be made, e.g different boiler or higher pitch.  I would hope to identify at least one locomotive at least one period in her history that could be rendered from the Hornby model. I have in mind the narrow cab version, but would consider the wider cab version too.  

(ii) Is it too much to hope that a Hornby T9 Chassis might form the basis of a T3 or X6?  I don't know what the respective driving wheel centres were spaced at for the 3 classes, or whether a Hornby chassis would fit a T3 or X6 profile.  It would seem too good to be true, but someone else has I expect, considered the point. 

(iii) It is no doubt too early to tell, but I wonder if either the Oxford or Hornby Adams Radial tank might form the basis of a 4-4-0 'Steamroller'?

Sorry if these are rather basic questions.

Forgive me, so far I have relatively few books relating to the LSWR, and I would be particularly grateful for a recommendation for (a) a tome that will help me get a firm grasp on the South Western's locomotive liveries, and ( B) any source of locomotive drawings.

In the meantime, I would be grateful for any help with the following:

(i) Does anyone know if it is practicable to back-date the Hornby T9 to its pre-grouping appearance?  Clearly the model features an extended smoke-box, but I wondered whether there are other changes to be made, e.g different boiler or higher pitch.  I would hope to identify at least one locomotive at least one period in her history that could be rendered from the Hornby model. I have in mind the narrow cab version, but would consider the wider cab version too.  

(ii) Is it too much to hope that a Hornby T9 Chassis might form the basis of a T3 or X6?  I don't know what the respective driving wheel centres were spaced at for the 3 classes, or whether a Hornby chassis would fit a T3 or X6 profile.  It would seem too good to be true, but someone else has I expect, considered the point. 

(iii) It is no doubt too early to tell, but I wonder if either the Oxford or Hornby Adams Radial tank might form the basis of a 4-4-0 'Steamroller'?

Sorry if these are rather basic questions.

Top of head responses.  1. The LSWR only superheated the narrow cab T9s, probably no more than a matter of general repair timings.  They retained the sandboxes in the splashers and had the Eastleigh superheater so no snifting valves.

2. No

3. Pretty certain no, especially as the Radials will be in SR / BR versions with Drummond chimney and double slide valves.

Livery book.  The HMRS had just published a new LSWR livery register by John Harvey.  You may wish considering membership of the South Western Circle.

Bill

Wild Swan publishers produce three volumes on LSWR locos

Early  engines and the Beattie classes

The Adams classes

The Drummond classes

They will give you all the info you require

Michael dJS

Four volumes, Urie as well

Bill

Thanks, so far.  'Out of print' - will make life a little more difficult.

In the meantime, would I be correct in saying that one could take a Hornby T9 with narrow cab and produce a pre-grouping variant by (1) adding sandboxes on the front splasher, (2) removing snifter valves, (3) adding rectangular casings for the water tube firebox, and, of course, (4) replacing the smokebox.  If so, would any have run in Urie post-war sage green, or am I better off choosing the earlier livery?

The wide cab would seem to require different arrangement for snifter valve pipe and new smoke box.  Again, which livery would be appropriate?

Pre-grouping = LSWR.   T9s were only superheated after WW1, which means Urie livery.  Superheating = extended smokebox and no water tube firebox.  Think about it, one of the benefits of superheating was to do away with heating the water slightly before it was pumped into the boiler.  One thing I forgot to mention was the chimney capuchon.

Bill

Thanks all. 

Well I plumped for Russell's book in the end, as it seems to have all the line drawings and measurements I needed and is great value second hand. The considerable bonus is that it covers the Brighton and SE types that interest me as well.

I can now see how a T9 chassis will not suit a T3 or X6, as the driver spacings are 12 and 6' too short.

I can, however, see no good reason why an RTR Adams Radial chassis should not be potentially suitable for a Steamroller.  Of course, I do not know if either the Hornby or Oxford innards will intrude into the side tanks.  If not, I would imagine that they would fit into a Steamroller body; the tender engine's boiler is a slightly higher pitch and is of a slightly greater diameter.  The drivers are the same size and at the same spacing for both locomotives. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I was looking forward to the introduction of the Hornby Adams Radial (I hadn't hard of the Oxford one until I saw this thread) as a possible route to getting a 46 class (as converted to a 4-4-2T). The chimney, safety valves, tanks, valance, bunker and frames will all have to be changed (along with the wheels, but as I model in S4 I take that as a given anyway). Have I missed anything? It might just be easier than starting from scratch!

Archived