Coach roof handrails

DavidK71

So, I'm currently working on a couple of Collett era Great Western coaches (a C62 corridor third and a K40 full brake). Both these coaches have roof handrails and I am wondering how, and indeed if, to do them.

I happened to recently be at Toddington on the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway, and had a look at the roof of their K41 full brake. The handrails on that coach looked to come up about a third of the height of a ventilator, and are pretty thin, but are also quite noticeable.

So, in 2mm, I could leave them off, try to vaguely represent them by just attaching a length of thin plasticard rod to the roof at the right point, or find some thin enough wire, bend it and secure it through holes drilled in the roof. Has anyone modelled a coach with roof handrails and added them? If so, how did it turn out? I'm reluctant to just go for plasticard rod as the rails stick up more than they are wide, so just attaching them directly to the roof won't look very good, so it's either leave them off or use wire, I think.

...... Both these coaches have roof handrails and I am wondering how, and indeed if, to do them.

i have successfully made coach roof handrails from fine copper wire, bending them round a suitable piece of n/s or brass, or around a styrene former and then soldering or gluing them into holes drilled in the roof.   It helps to make the two 'legs', which you are inserting into the holes, slightly different lengths.  that way you are not trying to get both of them into their respective holes at the same time.

This photo shows the result on a CR 4w 3rd http://www.2mm.org.uk/galleries/agm-1999/image48.jpg.  The handrail is on the right hand end of the roof.

Jim

Hi David,

I also have some Colletts to do, so when you've figured it out, please tell me ;)

Albion Alloys do 0.2 and 0.1mm N/S wire (which they call rod, not wire). I've used the 0.2mm stuff for loco handrails but have not so far been brave enough to take the 0.1mm out of its tube. The 0.2mm stuff is rather stiffer than you might expect if you are used to the 0.3mm stuff that comes in a coil. It's also nice and straight which is also handy.

Of course the snag with N/S on a roof is that paint doesn't stick to it too well. Blackening might be an option.

Regards, Andy

This talk of stiffness and bending is interesting, as I hadn't considered the question of how robust the resulting handrail will be - if a carelessly placed thumb is likely to bend it, then it won't survive very long. Time for some experiments with 0.2mm N/S wire and guitar string.

The wire from Rioja or similar wine bottles can be a good source (empties scrounged from your friendly local wine bar but one bottle goes a long way).  The twisting needs straightening out first  but unravelling it can be rather theraputic (where's the spell checker?).  The thin brass wire can be hardened and straightened by clamping one end of a length in a vice and pulling on the other end with pliers. This will also reduce the diameter slightly. If you've drunk the wine first make sure you don't go flying when the wire snaps but you can usually feel it give just before it does snap!..

ps Are we refering actually to hand rails ..or gas/electric conduit?

ps Are we refering actually to hand rails ..or gas/electric conduit?

Hand rails - you can see them on this coach, on the roof line, above the coach destination board brackets: https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/6901714686/in/album-72157629012335309/

Now I look at this photograph I'm struck that they are much shorter than usually shown on model instructions, suggesting there was some (a lot?) of variation. Sigh. Am drifting back to leaving them off as too much trouble ...

....... Am drifting back to leaving them off as too much trouble ...

I'd definitely put them on. They are a significant detail, which I define as being something which would be conspicuous by its absence.  But then i have serious masochistic tendences!   :O

Archived