CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

On 27/11/2019 at 11:05, cornish trains jez said:

Count me in for one of these when you have the final version ready!!!!

Awesome!!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks for the order! In the meantime, I have managed to get the next swiss project through the works...

stadler-cabins-updated-changes-lights.jpg

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

ICN - I am planning on using the power bogie from a farish 150 for mine, I am trying to make a chassis that can use the parts from a tomytec chassis but this is still at a prototype stage.

The Stadlers, TBC... They should be able to use a more readily available chassis. A consistent problem with Swiss high speed stock is that they use different bodyshell lengths compared to ICEs etc.

Right... 4 months on in this crazy world and I have not been able to make as much progress as I'd like on projects both 3d and on my workbench. However, I was able to use some internet time to do some research and I am now in possession of my initial batch of 4 sets worth of 00 gauge 387 bodyshells.

So what does this mean? Well for now, it means I can order another batch and I will be able to sell for a limited time 00 gauge bodyshells of one of the scales missing links! What doesn't it mean - a full scale kit, that still remains too expensive. If people would be interested in buying these shells for £120 plus postage let me know and I will run up another batch. If not, these'll go on ebay and this'll be the end of the experiment!

Now the next question I know I will get again is... what about the Aventras, 172, 180, 175, 185, 700, soon to be released 444, 378, 380, 334? Well of those, some need more detail to be worthwhile "upscales", some are big units with lots of intermediate coaches that I would need a steer on what people want before ordering a load and one, the 334, I have sold the model and the rights to print in 00 so it is off the table.

Now the important question in my head is where do I see this going? Well, I know this will bring a lot of smiles to modellers faces because so many have asked for these. I also know that this will take a lot of time, which I am short of, and as such I am not about to launch a huge range covering every train under the sun. What is more likely is that I will do limited batches in a manner that I can control and as long as the prices are sensible - it has taken 4 years to get to this point and market forces may make it a brief experiment.

Oh ans yes that is a Monty's Humber on the left and yes it is a prototype NR 950 print onto of the tamiya spray can. And what do I keep in the golden syrup tin? Nothing.

00 387.jpg

DSC_0800_(2).JPG

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

Good lord that Electrostar is a work of art! Really beautiful bit of work that. Not surprised a certain Mr Makin has liked it :lol:

Absolutely, it looks superb! They deserve to be good sellers, I can’t believe here we are in 2020 otherwise without any models of Electrostars when they’re about the most numerous EMU on the network today, crazy stuff!!

In terms of future models, the Alstom First Great Western Class 180 ‘Adelante’ would be my pick if any future models got upscaled to 4mm!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, James Makin said:

Absolutely, it looks superb! They deserve to be good sellers, I can’t believe here we are in 2020 otherwise without any models of Electrostars when they’re about the most numerous EMU on the network today, crazy stuff!!

In terms of future models, the Alstom First Great Western Class 180 ‘Adelante’ would be my pick if any future models got upscaled to 4mm!

Thanks for the kind words, the first 3 have all gone and I have a much bigger batch on order (which I need to chase up) right now. In that batch has a number of trial prints including a 180, 175 and 378... they are the driving ends only, which makes the 175 a full unit but the 180 and 378 will need some centre cars ordered eventually.

In an unwelcome twist, shapeways seem to have changed the parameters for printing and rejected a load of N gauge designs recently. I will have a few models which may disappear for a while whilst they get sorted out, particularly the class 87 bodyshells.

Edited by m0rris
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some 00 gauge trial prints for the next stock. It does appear that the complex curves on the 175 and 180 fronts need a bit more work - although the ridges arent the same from print to print which is a little strange.

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0805 (2).JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the posts - I will definitely see what can be done with casting the models as I would much rather trim my "supply chain" back to the UK only.

The latest batch came in white instead of grey. I have received much more interest in the 175s than I was expecting so I will likely be ordering another run before too long - still have a handful of 180s and 378s available though.

DSC_0135 (2).JPG

DSC_0136 (2).JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm interested in the Electrostar, Mike.  I see from Ebay it is still available although this thread is quite old.  Is there a newer thread I have missed?

Did you ever do the 5 car class 377 - DMOC, MOSL, PTSOL, MOS, DMOS?

I'd also be interested if there is  a thread anywhere covering the building of one, motorising, finishing etc.

And can anyone tell me how I can view all the pictures in this thread?  They just come up blank here

• RMweb Premium

Not the OP, so maybe slightly cheeky, but I’m doing a 5-car 377, initially in N, but I’ll likely size it up. Put it on hold a bit with Revolution announcing theirs, but I don’t believe they’re doing a 5-car 377/7. 

Test print of an N gauge body shell:

image.jpeg.c8024d753f482567fc4a7abb46129d27.jpeg

As for the pictures in the thread, you’ll have to get the authors to repost them all individually. The pictures were lost when the website changed hosts a while ago. 

Edited by njee20
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks njee20.  If Mike is still around and actively supplying and supporting his, and if he can do the 5 car 377, I'd tend to go with that as it has been around for a while, so presumably I'd be less of a guinea pig!  🙂

But if not, I'm definitely interested in what you are doing.

Are there any threads anywhere with somebody describing the build of such a model, based on these or similar bodyshells?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by PeteB