CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

Next project, before I go back and tidy up some printability/scaling issues on the older projects is this sneaky little number:

post-7229-0-01184400-1453146976_thumb.jpg

Trial prints should be ordered by the weekend and first shots in a fortnight or so.... As long as it prints fine, it'll be on shapeways as a complete kit within the month.

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 6

Hi Paul,

That's a very good point, the 185 was on the hit list and slid down the pecking order but would actually be very achievable (it requires a more in depth analysis but it appears that there are quite a few similarities with the 380 behind the cab), if the interest is there I'd be more then happy to give it a go but it is slightly marginal as I haven't a particular interest in them.* I'm slightly wary as a result of the class 378 project where I've managed to get a nice model ready but I've no real interest in the prototype...

At the moment I am looking at taking on my remaining "personal interest" model units - decent spec 158 shell for Grafar Chassis, S Stock, 1967 stock and 334. There's a few more out there that are on the edge of my radar but I really need to get my first models into saleable listings with a couple of tweaks to the models themselves as that has been my biggest problem to date.

*(185s are similar to 175s at the mo, I have alot of the work done in the 180 but 175s aren't really my bag so the case would have t be made for me to take it on).

A point I'd like to end on is that I've sunk alot of time and money into this side of my hobby to the expense of my physical bashing/glueing/painting side and I am very keen to get back to that soon (but not at the total expense of 3D modellng). I am determined to get more 3D models done but I see a point in the next year where I will pause them so I can fill my workbench thread up at the expense of this one.

Thanks

Charlie

Edited by m0rris

Hi Gang,

I did try to order a set of the 380 body shells before Christmas when Shapeways had a free postage offer on, but they go back to me to say that they wouldn't print the driving trailer due to thickness issues.....but the centre pantograph car was ok!!?, instead of having one useless vehicle! I reluctantly cancelled the order pending Shapeways contacting you with the problem.

I would still like to have a bash at the 380.....it would be even better with window cut outs too.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Quick update...

180 test prints have been ordered from i.materialise (which means they'll be about £40 cheaper but take a week longer). Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't make i.materialise prints available for general release as they still disagree with my measurements and their ordering process means that only I can rescale the models.

380/Electrostar/378/ADL bus are all going into the works to have a few tweaks done and generally make them easier to buy. Next project is still TBD, but will follow the form of the 180 project with information forthcoming once it is on the final straight and I know it'll get finished.

Hi M0rris,

Good news that you have tweaked the 380....I'm now torn between the revised bodies with windows inlaid...or the revised bodies with the windows removed.....choices choices.

More power to your elbow producing these bodies...hopefully Shapeways won't price these out of the market.

Not used I materialise, so can't comment on their quality yet.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Its arrived and I am a very happy bunny!

post-7229-0-88519800-1454957809.jpg

And alongside a Farish 350...

post-7229-0-59778300-1454957814.jpg

I am a pretty poor photographer, so I will have to have another crack later as my photos of the centre cars were rubbish. Overall though I am very pleased with how it has turned out, unfortunately the model is sitting on a Farish 170 bogie set whilst I order a new set of improved bogies.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi M0rris,

The 180 looks like a cracking model...even for a first stab. Look forward to seeing this one develop....it's a possible for me to sit beside the FGW HST....

Have your 380s been taken down....was looking for them this morning as Shapeways have free shipping this week....

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the heads up, I am not sure why the 380 has disappeared, I will look into it for you it. I should be able to get them back up tomorrow morning.

158 replacements shells will be at the first teaser photo stage within the next week or so, the model will cover the mix and match of different versions - Original front valance, lights, air con intakes progressing through the different variations to Scotrail style snowplough, air con, lights.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

180 certainly looks the part - will do one in black and orange for the office N gaugers! Hopefully available soonish - no pressure !!!

158 sounds good as well, having teased or is that eased them into service with Reg Rail Central too many years ago.

Cheers

Robert 

Quick update, there'll be a 24 hour delay getting them listed on shapeways but they are coming. One word of warning, I will list the bogies but I have struggling to get them durable enough for running and I will need to redesign them in the near future.

Hi M0rris,

Thanks for putting the 380 back up.....I have ordered the necessary bits plus one driving car and chassis of the 180 to have a play with......great minds think alike Rob??

Looking forward to receiving these sometime soon....

Update....Shapeways have rejected the 380 bogie pack for some reason.....I'll probably use Sprinter bogies in the short term...

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Thanks to everyone who has made orders of late, I hope you are all happy with your models. Stu, I have just got an email from them about that, its the second issue I've had this week with shapeways rejecting models that I have had previously printed with no issues - I am working on it as we speak.

post-7229-0-99300100-1457781383_thumb.jpg

So an update, 180 has emerged from the works. The bogies might need a couple of tweaks but I am very happy with the bodyshell. The next two projects are moving towards completion, with the 158 going to be ready for test prints within the next week and the class 185 being another three weeks behind that (I might investigate doing a 360 cab at the same time). Any tweaks needed to current models will be done then.

158 versions - I think I have covered most of them but it won't hurt to go over what I am releasing.

Original Version - As delivered - headlights, aircon vents, obstacle deflector.

Phase 1 - Air con mods - original headlights, revised aircon vents, original obstacle deflector.

Phase 2 - Air con & valance mods - original headlights, revised aircon vents, scotrail style snow plough.

Scotrail - Revised headlights, aircon vents and snowplough.

At the moment the 158 fleet is very varied, a look at what is out there for Scotrail, GWR, EMT, Arriva, Northern and SWT reveals that unsurprisingly there has not been a consistent program of modifications since BR so it will be worth checking exactly what you want before you order as there are some siginficant variations within fleets (Scotrail and GWR in particular). The model is designed as a simple replacement for the farish bodyshell.

00 Gauge models - unfortunately I have had little joy with the complete kits ideas, the level of money I'd need to invest is simply too much for me at this current time and I can only print electrostars at the current time due to size restrictions. However, in the next month or so I aim to get some 00 Gauge cabs available for the electostars, capitalstars, 380s, 180s and 185s for people do as they please with them.

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well 180 driving car ordered along with chassis and middle car chassis and bogie bits - plan to sort a farish 220 into submission for powering but want to work on close coupling with Dapol buckeyes.  When some more wages creep  I hope to buy rest.

158s look the part and yes after the great railway sell off crime they did spawn all sorts of devils children mods ! Air con roof vents most common changes and then the great headlight/ LED marker game - the only standard being not standard. Liveries competed for how much yellow you could apply on the front which ruined the unit face for me so many times.       

Shapeways  sent e-mither to say designs on way to printer so fingers crossed no hitches

Thanks for work done and time taken

Robert 

post-7229-0-97791400-1457911858_thumb.jpg

More photos of 158s whilst I am at it, this shows the variations I have covered better, although the "as delivered" version isn't in the lineup. The only standard being non-standard sounds about right, despite being such an obvious choice for RTR, they are a minefield for manufacturers.

Thanks for the kind words Robert, I hope you are pleased when the parcel arrives!

Hi M0rris;

Probably not going to punt on a set of bogies on their own with the postage on top...so no hurry for them for now.

Depending on how I get on with the initial 380/180 build, then I might splash out for some more and then add the missing items on to that order...

Later;

STU from EGDL

Some great units on offer there. Personally I model in OO, so not for me sadly. It is a shame that 3D printing remains uneconomical for OO at this time really, for things like bogies and cabs it is perhaps viable and maybe offering these parts would be useful?