CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

I'm using short neck Rapido couplings at the moment.  I may change this and use three pin electrical connectors later to feed the front and tail lights if I decide to fit them.  These short couplings give a good spacing for demonstration purposes.  You will note I have ground back the underside to ensure the couplings do not scrape but this does not affect the sides.

Please excuse the lens distortion.

3761-020616144310.jpeg

3761-020616144339.jpeg

3761-020616144448.jpeg

3761-020616144614.jpeg

3761-020616144516.jpeg

Edited by Snowwolflair
  • Like 1

A bit of an experiment.

I want to implement directional lights and to do this I need to distribute the power to the end coaches from the center car.  I will be using DCC and also the class 170 bogies on the coaches have no electrical pickup.

Those of you who are familiar with the Hornby Brighton Bell model will be familiar with the idea of using 3 pin plugs to hook together coaches.  Its fragile but worth the effort.

The trick is to get the plugs and sockets to move a little but not be loose enough to stress the wires, and to achieve this I am using silicone rubber (blue compound) to hold the plugs.

3761-040616203851.jpeg

• Like 2

The seating units are BR Lines MK3 1st and 2nd class seating modules cut up to give the correct seating configuration (or as close as I can get).

BR Lines are always very helpful and you would be amazed at what they have squirreled away.

Here is the Great Central seating layout which is almost identical, and with photos a good idea of layout can be worked out.

I still need to paint the tables and the edges to the seats, however, once I have wired the plugs for the head and tail lights the chassis set will be substantially complete.

My next task will be to surface the body shells for painting, not an easy task with a FUD print.

3761-100616103255.jpeg

• Like 1

After a lot of burnishing with a fiberglass pen and more than a few layers of primer the top coat has a nice shine.

These now need the paint to cure and that can take several weeks, before any further paint is applied.

I will need to mask the end panels and paint them white then yellow.  I could have done this before the blue was applied, however the sprayed blue paint surface gives a better under surface for the yellow panels.

3761-120616010937.jpeg

• Like 9

After a lot of burnishing with a fiberglass pen and more than a few layers of primer the top coat has a nice shine.

These now need the paint to cure and that can take several weeks, before any further paint is applied.

I will need to mask the end panels and paint them white then yellow.  I could have done this before the blue was applied, however the sprayed blue paint surface gives a better under surface for the yellow panels.

3761-120616010937.jpeg

I've got half a mind to steal those....but then again I've got half a mind.  (full stop)  :jester:

• Like 1

This next stage just takes time a patience.  I'm blocking in white where I will need to paint bright colors, Yellow and Barbie Pink.  

There is still a bit of tidying up to do which I do with a cocktail stick dipped in Polycell brush cleaner.  Again this paint will need to cure before the next stage as I will need to use masking tape and I cannot risk the tape damaging the paint below it.

One advantage of having the side CAD profile is I have been able to cut a very accurate curve template.

3761-140616105626.jpeg

3761-140616105652.jpeg

3761-140616105720.jpeg

3761-140616105749.jpeg

3761-140616105816.jpeg

• Like 2

There are three sizes of windows, Side. doors and cab front.  There are also small drivers windows but they are solid and will be gloss black paint.

I am planning to cut all the windows from 1mm perspex using a laser.

It helps that the 3D printing is very accurate so I only have to get three templates correct and the laser will make as many as I want.

I may make window sets available with the transfers I am getting printed to anyone who is interested.  Im making a list of interested members who should PM me.

Ideally I will fit the windows with non fuming cyanoacrylate for strength.  the alternative is model aircraft cockpit glue that dries transparent.

The Grand Central livery does not need a transfer set as the black and Orange are better painted and the logos and detail transfer are available already as transfer sets from the usual suppliers.

The transfer set i'm getting made will do a complete train for either First Great Western or First Hull.

I live in Windsor and see the FGW Adelantes at Slough and Paddington station most days.