CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

• RMweb Gold

The windows for N gauge will not present too much of an issue as they are being done "solid" anyway, with indentations in on the side to allow painting/surface affects which I will be using in the build thread.

Hi Charlie

Having solid windows seems a shame (and potentially unnecessary) - is there a particular reason for doing that? I can't help feeling that you automatically limit your market immediately.

You might have seen the thread on the NGF which Claude refers to as it is something that Ben and I would consider as a very sensible RTR project for the future - it contains lots of useful detail information.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Re. getting the 377/2 done, as I now know about the different windows I can get that sorted. The windows for N gauge will not present too much of an issue as they are being done "solid" anyway, with indentations in on the side to allow painting/surface affects which I will be using in the build thread. If/when I get round to doing an 00 377/2 it might cause a few more headaches as it will have to have holes in the windows to allow people to glaze them and to keep the costs down but I am slightly wary of making something "fitted for but not with windows" without having a good idea what will go there so I might have to appeal to the community to see what would be best to use for the windows, I have seen that James Makin used cut up Bachmann 170 windows in his thread - a luxury many might not be able to afford.

Thanks Charlie,

As it happens, the Bachmann conversion wasn't too pricey  - with my conversions although I'd initially resin cast sides, they just didn't work for me and I'd ended up cutting up complete Turbostars, so it ended up the glazing came free! It would be a really cheap like-for-like conversion if you model the 3-car formations, the challenges were in the 4-car sets and procuring additional centre cars - had to do some hybrid bashing of cheap 2-car sets to build new centre cars for my project but if you're lucky enough to some centre cars already, it's reasonably inexpensive! I still making my cabs for a little while longer if anyone is interested (PM me for details, apologies for brief plug!) - I think there's some etched windows I saw BigJim of this forum using on a '172' conversion project which could be worth a look as well?

During my research I'd also noted differences in the just-below-cantrail-height grilles on the vehicle bodysides - some sub-classes had different arrangements and some both/one side of each vehicle, and vertical/horizontal louvres - definitely between the original batches of the Connex vs the Southern fleets I'd seen. I've not researched the most recent batches but doubtless there are more subtle differences there too! Roof sections are also different as well, different roof 'NRN' pods (or whatever they're called!), cab antennae, roof ventilators at the sides etc - bit of a minefield choosing between batches! I couldn't do it very well on my models but if taking a fresh look it would be great to model some of the metal weld seams on the roof of each vehicle as well, be very subtle though! Good luck with the project Charlie, very exciting!

Afternoon Gents, a quick update on the electrostar project is that we have made good progress and I am hoping to have the 3d models with me this afternoon so that I can put together a test print order and have something "physical" to show the world within the next fortnight.

The model is of a class 377 but I am struggling to find the external differences between 377/379/387, apart from those 377 without  pantographs. Any help would be much appreciated. Of note is that once the initial electrostar has been finished, I plan to do 376 and 378s as well. Unfortunately, unless there is a massive wav of interest I have no intentions of doing the 357s and again the 375s are not in my immediate plans.

With regards to releases, the current plan is to relase the full range in N gauge with releases in 00 if there is sufficient interest. As a word of warning to 00 guys, the prices are going to be steep but seeing as it is not much trouble to have the models  converted to 00 it is currently my plan to offer them in 00 as well, first as bodyshell only but later on I will include chassis if there is sufficient interest. Using imaterialise I can get a quote for the bodyshells alone circa £60 per carriage, which is going to be pushing on the limits of some people's modelling budgets and is for the basic white polyamide prints with no finishing affects. Again, depending on the levels of interest, I am prepared to investigate resin casting of finished bodyshells to bring down the unit costs for 00 but all of these take time and money and my current focus is on getting the N gauge range up and running.

The models will be made available on both shapeways and imaterialise to purchase, as well as complete kits (with wheels provided but no powered chassis - yet) on ebay. If anybody is after them, I can easily make available complete "dead" sets kits with all vehicles unpowered for those looking for something different to haul behind a loco or static display. I am working on a range of transfers but at the moment Steve at Railtec is very busy, so it looks like they will get done as and when he has the time. If there is sufficient interest from those who would like them I am more than happy to investigate vinyls.

Thanks for all of your kind words,

Charlie

Google this magazine,purchase a back number.

Modern Locomotives Illustrated. No. 194.

The Electrostar Family - Classes 357, 375-379

Having solid windows seems a shame (and potentially unnecessary) - is there a particular reason for doing that? I can't help feeling that you automatically limit your market immediately.

You might have seen the thread on the NGF which Claude refers to as it is something that Ben and I would consider as a very sensible RTR project for the future - it contains lots of useful detail information.

The reason  I have opted for solid, recessed windows is after following BigP's 16x Networker models. The initial batch was made with "holed" windows but following a few of the build threads revealed that quite a few people had issues filling the windows on such small scale items leading to the subsequent batch having filled windows and so I decided to start where he had finished so to speak. At the end of the day it is really horses for courses, and if the horses want a different course I am willing to listen and modify the models. They joy of 3D printing is that you are only tied to a 3D model and not to a mould/master that is difficult and expensive to change and seeing as any potential 00 release will be made suitable for glazing, it reduces the workload for N significantly if we get round to it.

Importantly, if people really want different types or modifications to the models let me know and I am more than happy to take on everybody's feedback. As it stands I have no plans to do the earlier cab headlight arrangement for 375/377 shown in Claude's post but if there is a real demand for it I am willing to try and squeeze it in etc.

Thanks guys for all of your help and kind words, now back to the big push!

Charlie

• RMweb Premium

Re: solid n gauge windows, my immediate thought is "not sure about that", but in reality I suspect it would look absolutely fine, and I, for one, would be interested in an Electrostar!

Quick little update, it is on the home straight and I hope to have final previews shortly, input into the final preview will be much appreciated and hopefully I can satisfy as many as possible by getting the 3D prints available in different scales. I am hoping to have the first printed examples in roughly a fortnight to show to the world!

Re. 00 model, a trial model is being done using the late model shell, which is how this first model has been finished (i.e. non-ribbon glass, large light front cab etc) and I will see where it can go from there. As it stands, the late model is the first model to be completed and earlier models are likely to be done in N first and if there is enough interest and this prototype works out I am more than happy to 00 gauge them.

Re: solid n gauge windows, my immediate thought is "not sure about that", but in reality I suspect it would look absolutely fine, and I, for one, would be interested in an Electrostar!

For N gauge, it is something that I am willing to stick my neck out and say I believe is the best option whilst 3D printing offers what it does, so my mission is to prove why I believe that when I am painting the prototype units!

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For N gauge, it is something that I am willing to stick my neck out and say I believe is the best option whilst 3D printing offers what it does, so my mission is to prove why I believe that when I am painting the prototype units!

I fear it will be a big turn off for people (it certainly is for me). A possible alternative (given that you already have the relevant artwork) would be to offer a non-solid window version and either get some windows laser cut or give purchasers the artwork for the windows so that they can get some laser cut.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

How about printing in a transluscent material so the windows can then be tinted by the builder as most modern units have windows you can barely see through in daylight (or is that the plan anyway and I have missed that bit)?

• Like 1

Those available on shapeways will be printed in frosted ultra detail will have a semi translucent material, as per bigp's networkers, if ordering in a cheaper material on imaterialise it will be solid grey but cheaper.

• RMweb Gold

I can't help thinking that these projects would be ideal for Electra vinyls. They are produced on clear-backed self-adhesive vinyl, so you could have cut-out windows on the bodyshell and would work well on these smooth-sided units.

I have already produced vinyls for N-Trains Class 313 and 325 units, which are moulded in WSF with the vinyls providing the high-quality finish.

More than happy to do these, particularly as I have loads of Electrostar artwork already drawn up :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with people on the filled in windows looking horrible even in n gauge, the old style Electra Railway Graphics used to look quite bad when they used printed on windows before switching to clear windows.

And I think you would make some savings by having holes for the windows as less material would be used in the 3d printing process.

Hi,

Having read through this thread thoroughly, I would defiantly be interested in an Electrostar in 'OO', or two, or three! :)

Would you be interest in doing a 378 Overground Model, if there was a enough interest?

Simon

Hi,

Having read through this thread thoroughly, I would defiantly be interested in an Electrostar in 'OO', or two, or three! :)

Would you be interest in doing a 378 Overground Model, if there was a enough interest?

Simon

Hi Simon,

As it stands I plan to do a class 378 in N gauge anyway, so rescaling should not be too much of an issue. The problem  have at the moment is that the N gauge electrostar has a couple of bugs that need to be ironed out and I am swamped with work at the moment. There is there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel, I just need to check whether it is some torch bearing b*gger with more work or the end of the tunnel first before I can say I will get this sorted! I hope to get this locked down and finished within the next fortnight but I can't promise anything yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on project to date... After an inordinate amount of time faffing around with print files* and distracted by the day job I have finally been able to get test prints for everything to date ordered and they should be with me soon. Hopefully they'll highlight any areas to work on (and have already highlighted the need to reorganise/group the files to make ordering easier for everyone and not the hour long epic I performed tonight!).

Areas of further progress are the 378 project is now starting as well as the upscaled Electrostar model for 00 gauge. It is worth noting that as it stands, I will have the bufferbeam light added for the scale up and this model features the non-ribbon glazing and aircon units suitable for the later units. I would like to do an earlier Electrostar with ribbon glazing etc, as plenty of you out there want one, however, this is dependent on time and resources. I have been increasingly short of the former recently which has massively slowed things up since, even though I don't do the 3D modelling myself embarking on these projects has been a massive eye-opener into the sheer volume of work that is involved for Hornby et al just to manage it all. I will listen and act upon feedback but the day job pays my bills and does like to get in the way very often which does limit how quickly I can do so! I am quite keen to get the Electrostars sorted as I have a few more projects I would like to get done soon as well.

I will make the individual files available on shapeways to order now but please, please note I have not received the test prints yet so I do not know of any print issues, so they must be ordered with the caveat of buyer beware.

*To cut a long story short, shapeways is more expensive than i.materialise but i.materialise does not like the dimensions and has a nasty habit of rescaling everything and as of yet their support haven't got back to me about it and I have to manual rescale the models to the correct length for each order which is far from ideal.

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I am still awaiting the test prints from i.materialise, there has been progress elsewhere. I have got the bodyshells listed on shapeways and they are now available for purchase (link below), I am looking at streamlining the kits so that all parts are grouped appropriately and you only need to purchase 1/2 sets from shapeways as opposed to the current set up where each part is individual. Chassis and bogies will follow in due coruse but there are a couple of printability issues to iron out first. Unfortunately, due to the rescaling issue and a total lack of support from i.materialise, I cannot publicly sell models through their site.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/c_macginnis_122

Work on the next stage of Electrostars is now well underway, the progress to date has focused on the new class 378 cab.

post-7229-0-47687300-1443521708.jpg

This will be released in 00 and N at the same time as the scaled up late model electrostar (no ribbon glazing, suitable aircon units, camera suitable for 379/387 etc). I have decided that I will offer my basic underframe and the fantastic bogies my guy has created in 00 separate for those that might want them. Following feedback, I will also offer a windowless N gauge electrostar.

Once I have cleared the electostar projects, I will investigate the following - modern double decker bus for N gauge, class 158 high spec n gauge bodyshell to directly replace the farish ones and class 180. If anyone would like it, I am willing to scale up the class 380 to 00 gauge for scratchbuilders but I would require pre-orders.

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

- modern double decker bus for N gauge -

Hello Morris,

Very nice work on the Electrostar cab.

For the double decker bus, could it be designed to fit over one of the various Tomytec working bus chassis?

The dimensions are on the DM toys website, but the wheelbases available are 32mm, 35mm or an adjustable version 38-44mm - see here: http://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Tomytec-253365.html

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I will have a look, the plan was to have it as a bus with a detachable chassis anyway, so I could not see it being a massive issue. I am not sure how proactive (on a scale of MG to Ferrari) bus builders are at protecting their shapes so for now I won't mention the exact model but needless to say it will be a miniature version of a type of bus built in the last 10 years and found in every major bus operators fleet but it didn't need a ferry to start work in England...

I can't help thinking that these projects would be ideal for Electra vinyls. They are produced on clear-backed self-adhesive vinyl, so you could have cut-out windows on the bodyshell and would work well on these smooth-sided units.

Vinyls also have the advantage of covering the fine ridges that tend to be an artefact of the 3D printing process.

Like the idea of a modern double deck,bus, and the possibilty of motorising would be very exciting. Just one issue might get in the way of using the Tomytec chassis - the very long rear overhang.

Some of the recent buses are the subject of exclusive licences issued to Corgi. I am aware of a 00 bus kit which is described as "a modern single deck bus", and a 3D printed N one with a similar description.

Edited by mikeharvey22

Like the idea of a modern double deck,bus, and the possibilty of motorising would be very exciting. Just one issue might get in the way of using the Tomytec chassis - the very long rear overhang.

Some of the recent buses are the subject of exclusive licences issued to Corgi. I am aware of a 00 bus kit which is described as "a modern single deck bus", and a 3D printed N one with a similar description.

Interesting that Oxford Diecast have just announced a New Bus for London (Borismaster) in N, which would make a good companion for whatever you are planning.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a long time coming but finally my 3D models have progressed from vapourware to something more solid, so here are some "straight out of the box" shots

The first prints of the electrostar have gone well and will see how well they scrub up over the weekend.

post-7229-0-48254300-1444673771.jpg

post-7229-0-14348000-1444673809.jpg

The 380 has a couple of tweaks but in general the detail has come out very well. The second DMSO has a problem with its snow plough so that will be altered.

post-7229-0-95640500-1444673854.jpg

post-7229-0-35673300-1444673860.jpg

Chassis and bogies will follow in the nxt couple of weeks after a few important tweaks before ordering were identified.

• Like 3