CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

• RMweb Gold

Hi 180 driving car arrived today along with chassis for a middle car - just love Shapeways !! The body in FUD and chassis WSF and both great.  As happens the box via UPS and took 3 days of shuffling Tamworth to Birmingham  due to my shift pattern before got mitts on  it.  Hopefully I will order rest shortly - next pay period and the bogies sorted by then.

Also great look on 158.  What chance doing a middle car? . I can see a use for the older liveries in 3 car sets . Hopefully the other end cars of use as and when retooled 158 lands from Bachmann to make up hybrids and the 3 cabbed 3 car sets in use following various reforms and messing with fleet cascades. 

Robert 

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

Glad to hear they have got through fine, I hope to have the issues sorted as soon as the 185 is finished within the next fortnight.

Re. the 158, the middle cars are already done, they we're rather boring renders so I decided to just put up the end cars. Shapeways want a few tweaks before I offer them up for general consumption, which will be done with the 180 work. I'll be offering each car individually so people can mix and match as they see fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered some class 180 parts can anyone help with liverys, im the past ive asked probably all the transfer companies to make barbie livery but its too difficult which I found out when I had a go myself the problem being the fading, dynamic lines seems to be difficult which only leaves grand central which appears easy but probably wont be

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, class 185s finally complete and listed on shapeways as well as class 360 cabs.

Now these are out of the way, attention can turn again towards some errant bogie sets that need tweaking and printability issues.

Quick update, class 185s finally complete and listed on shapeways as well as class 360 cabs.

Now these are out of the way, attention can turn again towards some errant bogie sets that need tweaking and printability issues.

Is the 185 just the one car?

Thanks,

John P

Are you still doing the oo gauge cab's ?

Yes, they are just caught up in the backlog of other work at the moment, but they 'll definitely be on the way.

As for the 185, all three different carriages are modelled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the first test prints of the 185, overall the detail and the model are sound but there's a couple of tweaks that need to be made to let them fit a farish 170 chassis. I'll get the cab window sorted at the same time. As per usual, you cant see much of the detail until at least a layer of primer has done its magic but here is a gruesome closeup anyway:

post-7229-0-96453700-1463683730_thumb.jpg

The parcel also provided me with a test print of the 158. I have one small tweak left to do and then it is ready to go at long last. The main advantage of this bodyshell is that it looks like a 158 compared to the Farish version...

The test print was made in Shapeways WSF but I do not believe I will be able to sell it in this material unfortunately, recent changes at Shapeways seem to have resulted in WSF becoming much more unreliable.

post-7229-0-14160900-1463683721_thumb.jpg

post-7229-0-68854600-1463683714_thumb.jpg

Final point re. bogies, they are on the final straight at the moment and a test print of 180 bogies V2.0 should arrive shortly. There's also work being undertaken to tweak the ADL bus to a different version and a very Welsh DMU is in the works. 00 Gauge cabs should come out before too long as well.

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 5

Most of the common versions have been done (with different valances/roof vents/headlights) including the centre cars so a 159* is effectively available from the different versions. (From memory you'd need the version with original headlights/valance, revised roof vents and the centre car with revised roof vents), once one small piece that fouls the farish chassis has been removed they'll be available.

*It doesn't include the CET tanks but it would be very hard to model them and get it to go round curves anyway.

Edited by m0rris

I have ordered some class 180 parts can anyone help with liverys, im the past ive asked probably all the transfer companies to make barbie livery but its too difficult which I found out when I had a go myself the problem being the fading, dynamic lines seems to be difficult which only leaves grand central which appears easy but probably wont be

I'm looking at getting a transfer for the Dynamic lines made up.  It will be done by a company that have previously done other dynamic line transfers so they know what to do.  Not sure of price yet, but it will be cost to make plus 5% of artwork prep cost per five car set.

I will be posting information on  http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32841.msg381738#msg381738

The 158 looks really interesting. Is WSF more amenable to sanding than FUD? I don't find the finish of FUD acceptable, to be honest; and I gather it's very difficult to sand smooth.

Also, have you tested your 158 shells with the Electra vinyls? I know that they're designed to work with the Farish model, but if they are compatible it would certainly help with some of the more complicated liveries.

Jim

The 158 looks really interesting. Is WSF more amenable to sanding than FUD? I don't find the finish of FUD acceptable, to be honest; and I gather it's very difficult to sand smooth.

Also, have you tested your 158 shells with the Electra vinyls? I know that they're designed to work with the Farish model, but if they are compatible it would certainly help with some of the more complicated liveries.

Jim

It is slightly more amenable than FUD, dealing with this 158 has been my first experience of painting it, I will try to get some photos up later. All in painting it has been 100x easier than FUD, I have decided to make the model available on shapeways in WSF but for anyone who wants to buy them please be wary that shapeways may well needlessly reject them... The 158s can now be purchased from my shapeways store at - https://www.shapeways.com/designer/c_macginnis_122/creations

For those buying them I'd recommend that you study your prototypes carefully before purchasing. I have made a number of versions that cover from introduction into present day, there is one variation I know I haven't covered but the models as they stand will cover the following (please note the list is not comprehensive).

Version 1 - As delivered, FGW/GWR fleets and ATW.

Version 2 - Northern, Great Western, East Midlands Trains and South West Trains

Version 3 - Scotrail and GWR/FGW

Version 4 - Abellio/First Scotrail

Re. Electra vinyls, I haven't checked yet and I saw last night that Adam has just gone off on his holidays so I wont be able to get a set for a wee while. What I will do when I get home is measure up my shell against the farish and see if there'll be any issues. They are very close in overall dimensions so I don't think there'll be any major headaches.

I have had to pull the 185s to deal with an issue surrounding them fitting the 170 chassis, once that is finished they'll be back up.

It is slightly more amenable than FUD, dealing with this 158 has been my first experience of painting it, I will try to get some photos up later. All in painting it has been 100x easier than FUD, I have decided to make the model available on shapeways in WSF but for anyone who wants to buy them please be wary that shapeways may well needlessly reject them... The 158s can now be purchased from my shapeways store at - https://www.shapeways.com/designer/c_macginnis_122/creations

For those buying them I'd recommend that you study your prototypes carefully before purchasing. I have made a number of versions that cover from introduction into present day, there is one variation I know I haven't covered but the models as they stand will cover the following (please note the list is not comprehensive).

Version 1 - As delivered, FGW/GWR fleets and ATW.

Version 2 - Northern, Great Western, East Midlands Trains and South West Trains

Version 3 - Scotrail and GWR/FGW

Version 4 - Abellio/First Scotrail

Re. Electra vinyls, I haven't checked yet and I saw last night that Adam has just gone off on his holidays so I wont be able to get a set for a wee while. What I will do when I get home is measure up my shell against the farish and see if there'll be any issues. They are very close in overall dimensions so I don't think there'll be any major headaches.

I have had to pull the 185s to deal with an issue surrounding them fitting the 170 chassis, once that is finished they'll be back up.

The FUD profile is not suitable for a vinyl unless you want to sand off all the detail first.

STOP PRESS

I have just had a quote for the transfers for the class 180.  They will be 5 coach sets in First Great Western dynamic lines with an alternate name and numbers option for First Hull.  The transfers will include if they are printable, all warning signs, coach designations, door entry panels, ATP panels etc. and anything else that can be seen and can be printed.

I have been given the 2D artwork from the 3D Shapeways CAD master so the transfers will be aligned to this

They will be about £15 for a complete 5 car train.  

I will post a photo of them when they are prepared.

If anyone is interested in a set please PM me as this may affect the number of sets I order.

• Like 1

The 5 car 180 lined up looks great, I'm working on getting the correct bogies on their way soon!

post-7229-0-12450700-1464356855_thumb.jpg

In a brief diversion back to 158 land, I had a go at painting up the test print 158 in Regional Railways colours on my day off this week, I think I need to spend a bit more time sharpening my skills but as a proof of concept it isn't too far off.

Edited by m0rris