CMAC's Big news in little trains... 00 Electrostar

Your efforts continue to be impressive, well done :) As I've previously said, N isn't my scale/gauge, but I have an interest in the technology being used here (3D printing) and am impressed by the outcomes so far. Hopefully one day it'll be more suitable (and cost effective) to consider 4mm, but I suspect that is a long way off, until then I'm going to look to try my hand at new bogies/cabs etc for what I need, as that is likely doable at least.

A few more steps.

Its amazing how many thin coats it takes to get a solid yellow.

The yellow area is oversize as there is a common masking line over the yellow and blue and to attempt to pre-mask it and hope to get it straight would be almost impossible.

3761-190616173055.jpeg

3761-190616173124.jpeg

3761-190616173200.jpeg

• Like 3

Last draft of the transfer set arrived this morning.  Once I have checked them I will be committing to have them printed.  I will put a post up soon on the final cost per set of 5 coached made up of two ends and three middle coaches.  There are enough spares and duplicates to give everyone a good chance of getting a very good result and there are variations as the originals have changed over time.  The Hull logos are substitutions for the sides and all the Hull numbers are included.  (This print is degraded to avoid copying)

3761-220616110854.jpeg

• Like 4

Now for the tricky bit.

I have painted the roofs and the top of the nose.  As you will see I have still a millimeter or two of the yellow to cover, however, I will not paint this until I have fitted the front windows.

The windows will need to be back painted transparency as they are like modern car windows glued in place with a black border.  You will see there are molding lines to the full extent of the windows as the windows are much wider that the openings.

Just to complicate matters the windows are curved in two dimensions.

3761-230616004128.jpeg

3761-230616004158.jpeg

• Like 4

If I go down the etch route I will make my own.  Almost all commercial etches are far too thick as "to true scale" the wipers arms will be the thickness of a human hair.    0.12mm

Rotring Etch ink can be drawn with a 0.1 or 0.2 tip and you don't have the problem of them catching and breaking off later.

The windows are quite complicated and need quite a few stages to make.  the idea is that the last thing I will do is curl them slightly, however, before that I have to fully detail them and prepare the opening so they just drop in clean and they are done.

The wipers are scribe lines and then washed with paint.  This has the effect and wont get damaged in the future.

3761-230616115826.jpeg

3761-230616115903.jpeg

3761-230616115929.jpeg

3761-230616115958.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

This is looking very good. Fitting glazing can be a pain when it needs to represent a curved screen. Excess glue can be a real problem whether PVA (messy) or cyano (fogging), so keeping adhesive use to a minimum can be advantageous.

One technique I have found useful is to slightly over-bend the glazing material, then only glue the centre of the side frames. The natural spring of the material will keep the top and bottom edges in position without requiring glue.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Non Fuming Cyano is best as it dries hard and leaves no trace.  Its' also thin enough to feed by capillary action.  I have also used cockpit adhesive which is a PVA variant.

The best way to get a curve is to roll it on a soft surface, just as you do with brass.  But I have a lot of work to do before I get to that stage.

96 windows later, they are all in.  I now need to let the glue cure.  I ended up using the canopy glue "Glue 'n' Glaze by Deluxe Materials.

The advantage of this glue is that on the acrylic windows any smudges, when dry, can be removed with a sharp cocktail stick.

A few more areas to paint and I will be ready for transfers, which are being printed next week.

3761-250616224819.jpeg

• Like 1

The updates on the 180 look fantastic (and a damn sight better than the progress I have made on mine since printing!).

00 Gauge cabs are in the works - one quick question I need answered though is what width the Bachmann Turbostar bodyshell is as it would be good to ensure the cab is as close a fit as possible (It'd be good to know the same for their 350 as well).

I realise that they might not all be of use but I will be making the 380/378/Electrostar/185/360 available. Due to the larger cab area the 175 and 180 will also be made available but you get a much larger "chunk" of train with those.

• 3 weeks later...