Signalling on the GWR/GCR Joint

• RMweb Gold

I agree with David - all seemed to be GWR originally judging from every photo I have seen and that fits with the initial ownership (effectively the Wycombe Railway could be regarded as GWR in that respect).  However what happened once the line was under joint control was that each company took it in turns to run it for, I think, a year, and seem during their year to have done everything, for exampe if you joined in year A you were on GWR employment conditions, in Year B you would be on GCR/LNER conditions.  I presume - and it is a presumption - that signal engineering followed the same practice.

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling it was every five years that the responsibility changed, As built it was all GWR lower quadrants, I think it was only in LNER days that upper quadrants started to appear on the line.

You might be right about the 5 years David although it was definitely a much shorter period than that for staff.   And yes - only LNER upper quadrant signals  were used, definitely no GW upper quadrant signals appeared on the Joint line as far as I know from what I saw and from photos  (mind you the nearest GW upper quadrants to the Joint Line weren't all that far away as it happens).

If I have it right when I finally build my layout (scheduled for the end of this year) I should use GWR lower quadrant signals for pre 1914.

Next question then is what sort of construction, does anyone make 4mm kits for this period? Are any of the Ration kits suitable, most appear to be for a later peiod.

• RMweb Gold

If I have it right when I finally build my layout (scheduled for the end of this year) I should use GWR lower quadrant signals for pre 1914.

Next question then is what sort of construction, does anyone make 4mm kits for this period? Are any of the Ration kits suitable, most appear to be for a later peiod.

Definitely GWR signals.  The Ratio square post kits will be suitable for that period as it happens but as Micnich has suggested MSE should also offer the right bits.

Archived