Freightliner MJA twins & HIA hopper

newbryford

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody hear when the MJA wagons will be out? Hattons still saying in stock on or after 03/03/07?? Cheers

Nothing yet. Gaugemaster have posted a new model release listing from Dapol for March/April and the MJAs are not on it:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/news/Dapol-Annoucements-March-and-April-2017

This probably means they are here awaiting distribution. Interestingly they are showing the IDA low floor container flats as an April release, although on recent form will probably be May.

Edit: Just noticed Hattons now saying in stock on or after 13th March.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

Have had an update from Hattons putting back the release until April/May, so the reason they aren't on the latest Dapol expected list must be due to a delay in China.

edit: another e-mail from Hattons on 13/03/2017 advising arrival on or after the 14th March, so anybody's guess. Soon find out.

Edited by rembrow

I'm sure Dapol have these in their plan, but I couldn't resist:

post-1261-0-87116500-1489735683_thumb.jpg

The logo panel is luckily easily enough to remove (they've not used super glue type adhesive)

I eventually emery papered off the (beautifully applied Freightliner printing) then primed in white. Crafty computer paper was used for the logo.

Some further replacement transfers ... then some weathering required.

• Like 9

Thank you Dapol for some more very nice Freightliner wagons, well finished and free running. Plenty of weight though I reckon they're a tad lighter than the IOA and JNA.

You get two coupler bars per set, I got four with one pair! Careful with the wheels as a few of mine dropped out, they may have been dislodged in transit but the bogie frames had spread slightly.

The only silly fault is the tail lamp brackets are on the inner ends! Shame as they are really neatly done. Bodyside buffer beam fillets are too short as are the buffer heads and I don't think those little hoops on the buffer beams should be on the inner ends, not there in my 2005 photos, but easily removed. Dapol fit CCMs but for some strange reason continue to set the couplers as if they weren't.

9.5 out of 10 and good value.

Graham

I did a comparison this afternoon between the IOAs and the MJAs models and the buffers and

shanks just don't look right on the MJAs.

They maybe correct in scale but the IOAs look more realistic in size to the rest of the model.

Shame as it's quite a nice wagon otherwise.

Compare them against the buffers on the 68s !!

Edited by martin_l_jones

Hattons have just hiked the price up to full retail!!!! :O  Absolutely gutted! Was saving up to get all 4 sets and went on today to order but now changed my mind. Seems like they have a virtual monopoly on these wagons and are exploiting that! :nono:  Not very happy. :cry:

Hattons have just hiked the price up to full retail!!!! :O  Absolutely gutted! Was saving up to get all 4 sets and went on today to order but now changed my mind. Seems like they have a virtual monopoly on these wagons and are exploiting that! :nono:  Not very happy. :cry:

Panic (and disappointment) over! Manged to track down stock of these at Kernow - with free postage over £150 it ended up just £3 more expensive than Hattons would have been originally. Happy bunny again  :yahoo:  , looking forward to seeing them on the tracks. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Dapol have these in their plan, but I couldn't resist:

The logo panel is luckily easily enough to remove (they've not used super glue type adhesive)

I eventually emery papered off the (beautifully applied Freightliner printing) then primed in white. Crafty computer paper was used for the logo.

Some further replacement transfers ... then some weathering required.

Lovely job. It seems as if you only removed the bogies to paint the superstructure (post 283). It looks to me as if the box superstructure is separate from the underframe and that both sides of the box are identical. If that is the case, then the lamp irons are on the inner ends just because the box has been fitted the wrong way round. The big question is, can the box portion be separated, turned round and refitted?

• Like 1

Lovely job. It seems as if you only removed the bogies to paint the superstructure (post 283). It looks to me as if the box superstructure is separate from the underframe and that both sides of the box are identical. If that is the case, then the lamp irons are on the inner ends just because the box has been fitted the wrong way round. The big question is, can the box portion be separated, turned round and refitted?

I’m now digging around to see if I have shorter coupling bars somewhere. Using a NEM socket is a much better idea than the screw used on the container flats.

The body moulding includes the buffer beams so not an option.

I've had a rummage through my spares box and all the NEM coupler bars I have are too short. I investigated cutting those supplied and fitting shortened halves together in a brass tube but they would then be too large in diameter, they look correct as they come. Telescopic coupler bars?

Graham

Edited by emdpowerrules