Freightliner MJA twins & HIA hopper

newbryford

How easy is it to add buffers and replacement bogies for the two single with either ELH or Barber easy rider bogies?

Mark Saunders

Would of thought the hardest part is obtaining the correct bogies? Are they available under anything else?

You won't need to remove the lamp irons and grabs on the other end of those. ;)

• RMweb Premium

The body moulding includes the buffer beams so not an option.

I've had a rummage through my spares box and all the NEM coupler bars I have are too short. I investigated cutting those supplied and fitting shortened halves together in a brass tube but they would then be too large in diameter, they look correct as they come. Telescopic coupler bars?

Graham

How about cutting them shorter, but rejoining by carefully drilling out the centre with a 1mm bit and then using a piece of 1mm wire with epoxy glue? You'd probably only need to drill 3-5mm deep.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

4 pairs arrived yesterday. Well impressed!! Great wagons at a reasonable price - gets my vote every time. :yes: !

The lamp irons at the wrong end is an irritation, but I'm prepared to put up with that considering the overall quality and price. Not a 'rivet counter' so can't really find anything else wrong with these wagons - look fantastic to me, a definite 9.5 out of 10.

Be warned though, these wagons are EXCEPTIONALLY free running - if your layout is not exactly level these wagons will roll and roll and roll and roll until they hit the buffers!!

dapol Mja sm10

dapol Mja sm11

dapol Mja sm12

dapol Mja sm13

dapol Mja sm14

dapol Mja sm15

• Like 3

How about cutting them shorter, but rejoining by carefully drilling out the centre with a 1mm bit and then using a piece of 1mm wire with epoxy glue? You'd probably only need to drill 3-5mm deep.

Cheers,

Mick

That would work, I have done similar with model aircraft kits but using steel pins. I've got seven sets, not sure my eyesight or sanity would survive drilling out 14 stub ends though!

Graham

I know they're different wagons, but for anyone weathering their models, here are a few pictures of the interiors of some MWA box wagons at Preston yesterday in the consist of the 6H51 Hardendale Quarry to Guide Bridge Virtual Quarry:

post-21664-0-97352600-1490548124_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-18301200-1490548133_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-68800700-1490548148_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 4

The body moulding includes the buffer beams so not an option.

I've had a rummage through my spares box and all the NEM coupler bars I have are too short. I investigated cutting those supplied and fitting shortened halves together in a brass tube but they would then be too large in diameter, they look correct as they come. Telescopic coupler bars?

Graham

Bachmann “pipe” coupling bars with short Kadees on the outer ends of the MJA twins produce reasonably close coupling on gentle curves. They might not work on tight curves, especially as the buffers aren’t sprung.

One bogie out of the sixteen is badly warped and the wheelset drops out (see Graham’s post 289). It has been suggested that some parts are taken out of the moulds before they have cooled.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm thinking about pre-ordering a rake of the GBRF MJAs for a future project, but first I need to know how many I can fit in my proposed sidings.

So, how long are the twin sets when coupled together?

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kernow newsletter reports another run of the HIAs, due Q3. Good news.

Just got several emails from Hattons saying they are due September / October 2018.

No word on the GBRF MJA's though...

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

As per posts # 289 and # 306 I have the issue of a number (3 on a total of three sets) of bogie frames warping and the wheelsets dropping out.  As a result of this and the fact that the items are sold out pretty much nationwide I contacted Dapol direct by email a couple of weeks ago initially (no response whatsoever) and then by phone today.  Regrettably I drew a complete blank and was told to take them back to the wholesaler and get an exchange but when I pointed out that there were none available the tune changed to OK get a refund.  It appears that Dapol neither carry spare bogies frames or wheel sets nor indeed intend to irrespective of the availability of their competitors on equivalent spare parts.   Sadly and possibly through their own lack of communication with the marketplace they allege that they were unaware of the issue and no one had brought it to their attention. ( I did suggest that for good customer relations that they might read RMweb but they said that they do not see that as a normal means of communication!!! shame they might be a little more in tune with their marketplace.)  Now my issue is not resolved - Dapol were also unable to provide me with the correct details of wheel size and wheel set point to points or indeed a resolution to the problem.  The only minor crumb that there will be a "next batch" and before the next order they will see whether the issue warrants any spares!  That depends on their team at Chirk deciding whether that it is necessary.  As to when it might be - no idea was offered as to time frame save that the unit comes in complete and packaged and they simply receive and dispatch.  A question to the forum however - is there an alternative bogie that is suitable - I appreciate that these are not quite the correct bogies and I guess my alternative is to replace the whole bogie frame pronto to enable use.  Sorry for the long winded whinge but Dapol have proved that they can do a good job but through things like this and their inability to cover off and accept issues (thought that they had learned that long ago with those recurrent issues that they had) I suspect that they will loose market share and slip backwards.

Y25 bogies are available from Bachmann (but not what they describe as on the accessories section of website) best to phone them and ask for BDA bogies.

Cambrian also produce them as a one part moulding.

The HIA's are fitted with ELH built bogies and only have 4 brake blocks per bogie working on the inner face of the wheels. The number of brake blocks depends on the builder.

Mark Saunders

Y25 bogies are available from Bachmann (but not what they describe as on the accessories section of website) best to phone them and ask for BDA bogies.

Cambrian also produce them as a one part moulding.

The HIA's are fitted with ELH built bogies and only have 4 brake blocks per bogie working on the inner face of the wheels. The number of brake blocks depends on the builder.

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark.  Not sure if I made it clear (probably not!) its the MJA twins that I am having issues with - appreciate your very swift and useful response

Thanks Mark.  Not sure if I made it clear (probably not!) its the MJA twins that I am having issues with - appreciate your very swift and useful response

My thoughts for the TF25 bogies are to cut the side frames off them and use an etched brass innerframe, there is one available from A1 models!

I suspect they are also available from Bachmann  but personally they do not seem as good as the Dapol ones or clarity of detail.

Mark Saunders

I’d be careful with Bachmann’s TF25s as they are designed for smaller diameter wheel sets, so putting say 12mm wheels in may foul the brake block mouldings. Genesis do some TF25s in white metal: http://www.genesiskits.co.uk/shop/wagon-bogies/pair-of-tf25-bogies/

Failing that I’d maybe contact George Ansell from S-Kits and see if he does them...I know he does lots of other bogies so he may well do TF25s.

Thanks,

Jack.

Did Dapol put too large a wheel in their TF25 then? Every TF25 I've seen at work has had smaller wheels than a Y25 or NACO Axle Motion (Falcons, Autoballasters etc). They're 920mm so should scale to about 12mm

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

Thanks to all for their advice and guidance.  Interestingly looking at the wheelsets on youtube video in noticed the following comment relating to the issue... 

"After waiting what seemed an eternity for these wagons I made a purchase of sixteen at the Dapol stand Alexander palace. Upon unpacking these wagons I noticed that three bogies wheel sets fell out and a panel in the wagon was missing. Dapol were not interested in helping me and it was a chance meeting with the MD on the Dapol stand at the Loughborough show in June that partially solved my problems. Couple that with the issues I had with the Class 68. I will think long and hard before making a further purchase at Dapol. Bachmann forgive me I will never betray you again. "

My italics - so Dapol do know about the issue or someone does and I cannot help feeling that I agree with the writers sentiments.  Maybe we will get a response from Chirk - or not.  Enough said - on with the rectification work though.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thought you might like to know that I asked on the Dapol Facebook Page about when the GBRF MJAs were due and was told this week.

Simon

My local model shop is expecting his delivery today.

Cheers,

MIck

• Like 1