DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...

If we are looking nearer the year end  I might be able to afford a third one, and maybe even sound-fit 71515 when it arrives.

Just a case of deciding which....... 

Any news on how well/easily (and where) a Zimo sound chip and speaker will go inside?

Les

Edited by Les1952

If we are looking nearer the year end  I might be able to afford a third one, and maybe even sound-fit 71515 when it arrives.

Just a case of deciding which....... 

Any news on how well/easily (and where) a Zimo sound chip and speaker will go inside?

Les

Good luck in getting an answer about the sound chip. I have posted the same question to DJM twice and had no response!

Even though I am unhappy about that, I am still looking forward to getting my pre-ordered model (even more now seeing these closeups).

From the look of the model and open boiler space there will be some room for speaker, zimo and - I hope - capacitor.

David

Edited by meltonpieman

Good luck in getting an answer about the sound chip. I have posted the same question to DJM twice and had no response!

Even though I am unhappy about that, I am still looking forward to getting my pre-ordered model (even more now seeing these closeups).

From the look of the model and open boiler space there will be some room for speaker, zimo and - I hope - capacitor.

David

Hi chaps,

Apologies for letting this slip under the radar.

The space available for the decoder is as follows in length as there is plenty of height........32.198mm 

The speaker space is created by removing a screw in block sized as follows in the bunker...........Block W7.4mm x L29.55mm x H12.15mm

I hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

This is looking like a very impressive model.... with real attention to detail, excellent action on feedback, and striving for a product to be as good as it can be.

Well done Dave, your approach and product is to be highly commended!

And do I see all axles powered directly from the motor?

Edited by G-BOAF

That'll shut the doubters up.

You think I will accept photos of a physical product as evidence that this is not vapourware?

Never, I say!  :crazy:

I won't believe it until Dave hits me over the head with one. 

In all seriousness, this looks to be coming along very well indeed. I hope this sells like hot cakes so Dave can crack on with the GWR Mogul.  :clapping:

• RMweb Premium

Well done Dave. Hopefully people will stop Naysaying and just look forward to this release. As you say, they aren't exactly helping out finance wise. Very much looking forward to any King updates that are to come.

This is looking like a very impressive model.... with real attention to detail, excellent action on feedback, and striving for a product to be as good as it can be.

Well done Dave, your approach and product is to be highly commended!

And do I see all axles powered directly from the motor?

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yes all axles are powered from the coreless motor.

Oh and don't forget there's more news tomorrow coming too!  :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• Like 8

Well, I'm highly impressed!

What does it for me is the detail on the metal chassis, that looks excellent indeed so a big "well done" from me on that one.

This is perfect for a couple of little projects I've been dreaming of, thanks for making it possible.

Cheers,

John E.

Dave, this is looking very impressive. Normally, close photography of models, like the images that Andy has taken in his usual excellent quality, can be very cruel, highlighting minor flaws, but in this case they only allow us to see all the additional detail. For me the cab floor was a knockout, with the planking and 'rough' finish effect, the inside metalwork for the circular cab windows and the buffer beam supports from the chassis, the saddle tank supports under the tank to the cab front and smokebox collar, all sublime. The close up photo of the cab, taken side on, makes you think you could step into it in 1:1. This will be a superb model, correction - is a superb model and I'm looking forward to my BR livery versions from the standard range and the Hattons special. You say in the video that you've added the Giesl ejector option, that's going to extend the options for this model, as the Giesl versions have had to be after purchase conversions up till now.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yes all axles are powered from the coreless motor.

Oh and don't forget there's more news tomorrow coming too!  :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Good to hear - it is incredable how 'slack' in coupling rods can impact smooth slow running when only one axle is driven.

On another note, I presume there is no way that more of an undercut can be given to the rear of the injector overflows, they look a little 'square' at the back?

Also the interface between the smokebox front and sides - the sides seem to be protruding a little round the edge of the front, and consequenitially there seems a little too much of a 'gap between smokebox front an tank fronts. This said, I'm probably only noticing this because of the black/grey contrast. Very clear in the first picture Andy posted.

Edited by G-BOAF

Dave - that's not at all bad for a bloke who we are repeatedly told 'can't deliver' and only produces vapourware.  Nice job and well done - your third piece of vapourware looks to be as good as the other two.

Trying to give balace and a alternative view for those waiting - The problem is.. it still is vapourware because we can't buy it yet!

For those that have waited, it must be noted that back in January it was officially announced that the loco was going to be out in 5/6 months.

Here we are - 6 months later - and we are being told that it wont be out for another 6 months!

I'm not knocking the product but why cant these companies be a bit more truthful with dates (or less optimistic). I know Bachmann and Hornby (less so lately) have had this problem but DJM is supposed be a 'new broom'.

With the weather like it is today a phrase comes to mind: One swallow does not make a summer.

It must be remembered that the delay to this model means that every other of the numerous DJM products that rely on the sales of this model to finance them have also now been pushed back by the same six months...

Trying to give balace and a alternative view for those waiting - The problem is.. it still is vapourware because we can't buy it yet!

For those that have waited, it must be noted that back in January it was officially announced that the loco was going to be out in 5/6 months.

Here we are - 6 months later - and we are being told that it wont be out for another 6 months!

I'm not knocking the product but why cant these companies be a bit more truthful with dates (or less optimistic). I know Bachmann and Hornby (less so lately) have had this problem but DJM is supposed be a 'new broom'.

With the weather like it is today a phrase comes to mind: One swallow does not make a summer.

It must be remembered that the delay to this model means that every other of the numerous DJM products that rely on the sales of this model to finance them have also now been pushed back by the same six months...

I disagree. There is a tangible product of a lot of money invested right the there on the page above.

Vapourware might be a pertinent word to apply to something you've only been told about, but not seen proof of, but surely in this instance is an inappropriate or even misleading word, if not a tad sensationalist.

I have never said I was a new broom, but I have always tried to be honest and open. I know this approach isn't liked by some of the haters out there, but really?

So it's delayed? What's it cost you personally? I'm betting nothing at all! What's it cost me? Try the cost of 2 houses here in Liverpool that I could buy outright ( and not ruins either, before someone says it) with the money sunk into the J94 at this time.

And that's before I buy the stock from China!

Yes things have slipped, but mostly down to my requirement to change certain aspects of a model before release.

If that's so wrong, then guilty as charged m'lud!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 15