DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

• 2 months later...

Having had a pair of these join my fleet in recent times I thought I’d offer my own take.

After loosening the motor bracket slightly and a good run in on DC, I’ve added Bachmann 6-pin decoders, given both a light oiling and fine tuned the CVs. CV2 to 0. CV3/4 to 10 and CV9 to 77

They both run really well now. There’s an occasional low-speed stall but any new/newish model will still do that.

I’m now giving both a good run on the rollers under DCC which will hopefully ease that stalling habit out.

I guess there is still the chance that the lube grease maybe contributing to the stall but I’ll cross that bridge when I reach it.

All in all, I really like this model and though it needs a bit of prep and running in, you do end up with running to match the good looks of it.

D.

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dave

I have a question for you (Not about arrival dates of the next batch of engines)

Have you put any thought into doing a few more Military liveried J94's? (LMR/WD)

Or a photographic Grey WD one?wd75267-L.jpg

Thats lovely isnt it?

i have a list of around 100 liveries that i really want to do, but more keep coming in, such as this one.

i'll add it to the list, and thanks

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, my first, and only, J94 has released realistic smoke about 3 minutes after coming out of the box.

Stalled on a bit of track, wouldn't move and a nice little smoke ring came out of the top. Wasn't even running fast. Just a length of flexi to test it moved before running in. Turned the power off and it sat there steaming away.

Dave - I assume a standard DC Gaugemaster Combi unit is fine for these models?

Not sure what to do now, don't know if any of the circuitry is damaged as I've not yet chipped it. It still moves - so it's not like I can exactly return it as 'non-working'.

So, my first, and only, J94 has released realistic smoke about 3 minutes after coming out of the box.

Stalled on a bit of track, wouldn't move and a nice little smoke ring came out of the top. Wasn't even running fast. Just a length of flexi to test it moved before running in. Turned the power off and it sat there steaming away.

Not sure what to do now, don't know if any of the circuitry is damaged as I've not yet chipped it. It still moves - so it's not like I can exactly return it as 'non-working'.

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having problems. Which J94 was it and from whom?

As for the controller. As long as you used a controller that throws out straight power to the track with feedback or and electrical gimmickry, and your not using an electronic track cleaner then you should have been fine.

If it's still running, then it might be anything really, from pcb to plug in 'blanking plug' but unless it stops dead, as a complete failure it might be worth taking the smokebox door off, pulling out the pcb board and running it, looking closely at the board to see if it is overheating at all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear your having problems. Which J94 was it and from whom?

As for the controller. As long as you used a controller that throws out straight power to the track with feedback or and electrical gimmickry, and your not using an electronic track cleaner then you should have been fine.

If it's still running, then it might be anything really, from pcb to plug in 'blanking plug' but unless it stops dead, as a complete failure it might be worth taking the smokebox door off, pulling out the pcb board and running it, looking closely at the board to see if it is overheating at all.

Hi Dave, 

It was just a standard Gaugemaster Combi connected to a two lengths of flexi, no fancy gubbins like cleaners. The model itself is the Hatton's limited edition Hurricane. I'll try looking at the board when it's on the rolling road.

Edited by maq1988

I had a 6 pin plug blow on one of mine.

• RMweb Premium
I'll take a guess that the realistic smoke action is meant to live in here?

post-9866-0-49080500-1537036246.png

What is the possibility of securing a replacement blanking chip? The PCB it was connected too looks fine so I'm going to assume this is the culprit.

I'll take a guess that the realistic smoke action is meant to live in here?

What is the possibility of securing a replacement blanking chip? The PCB it was connected too looks fine so I'm going to assume this is the culprit.

It is a standard 6-pin plug and an easy replacement.  Hattons should be able to send one out - it is cheaper for them to do that than to send out a replacement loco.  

Les

• RMweb Premium

After receiving a replacement blanking plug from Dave my J94 is happier - seems to be a little hesitant when the left hand rods are at the top of the wheel on slow speeds but I'm hoping that will work itself out.

Thanks Dave for sending the replacement plug.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got one of the hurricane Hatton limited editions. Fitted it with the Hatton decoder.back emf turned off. Quite simply the worst running loco I have ever bought. Runs ok -not great - at high speed, but terrible at anything less than about step 50 on a powercab. Brand new track, no points, cleaned the track cleaned the wheels, still awful. It stops and stutters and stops for no apparent reason, only to restart without needing a push. What do I do? Close to getting a refund. Unhappy.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Just got one of the hurricane Hatton limited editions. Fitted it with the Hatton decoder.back emf turned off. Quite simply the worst running loco I have ever bought. Runs ok -not great - at high speed, but terrible at anything less than about step 50 on a powercab. Brand new track, no points, cleaned the track cleaned the wheels, still awful. It stops and stutters and stops for no apparent reason, only to restart without needing a push. What do I do? Close to getting a refund. Unhappy.

Looking at the 14xx thread, maybe you could try a Gaugemaster decoder first.

I gave up and went for the RT Models chassis kit

Looking at the 14xx thread, maybe you could try a Gaugemaster decoder first.

Tried the Hatton decoder in a couple of other loco's, they all run like cr#p, so the decoder is at least partly (maybe totally) to blame. I'll be changing it for a gaugemaster this weekend. Hoping like mad that fixes the issues. I really want a reliable j94.

None of mine have a Hattons decoder in.  Four are Zimo sound and two are Gaugemasters.  The seventh is the only poor runner and it has a LaisDCC chip in it which I might swap for a Gaugemaster or Dapol to see if it gets better.  OTOH this one was a Hattons return fixed and sold as an NQP/refurbished through Digitrains.  The six good runners were all new.

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Just to make people aware, Dave is currently only running out of his website, discussion on this is elsewhere.

The N gauge J94 expressions of interest have opened, it looks like most of the options offered in OO are available, including NCB 65 which had been an RMWeb exclusive before. I've put an order in for Wilbert