DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

4 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

On the subject of J94's, are the magnetic smokebox doors available separately? I would like one with out the smokebox numberplate on it.

As far as I know yes.  You need to Contact Dave (address on his website).

Les

• Thanks 1

My J94 runs like a dog, like it's not collecting current properly. Stops, has to be pushed, starts, stops again... I've sent Dave a message to see what he recommends. It's been in a box for a year since purchase, now coming out for use on layout. Runs ok-ish on rolling road, but real (straight / level / single piece) track and the movement is killing it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2019 at 17:00, Crepello said:

In case other readers (like me until now) have missed Dave's advert on page 127 of the March BRM, you can pre-order or express an interest. I've pre-ordered through my preferred supplier. 

From the above you can see I was confused!

Can this thread be re-named OO gauge J94 and a new one created for the N-gauge version?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Crepello said:

Thanks Mike--must be more observant in future!

Don't worry, I get confused as well.

Some people use the term J94, when very few will have an actual J94 in their collection.

I must be very lucky therefore, as I own several Hunslet 18" austerities, which is their correct title.

It's rather humorous to have people who will comment on a handrail  knob being out, when they will use the term 'J94' with abandon.

Having taken my anti-pedant medicine (full strength) I'll now climb back on my perch.

happy modelling,

Jay Ninetyfaw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Some people use the term J94, when very few will have an actual J94 in their collection.

I must be very lucky therefore, as I own several Hunslet 18" austerities, which is their correct title.

It's rather humorous to have people who will comment on a handrail  knob being out, when they will use the term 'J94' with abandon.

Having taken my anti-pedant medicine (full strength) I'll now climb back on my perch.

happy modelling,

Jay Ninetyfaw.

....... and then there are lots of people who seem to think the Fowler 3F Tank locomotive was named after a girls magazine ( or worse ) ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:18, tomparryharry said:

happy modelling,

Jay Ninetyfaw.

When they were announced DJM were only doing the J94s. LNER and BR versions.

The Austerities were all commissions from Hattons, Kernow and RMWeb. Plus whoever did Wilbur. And they all had separate threads.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess that Dave Jones jumped on the ''J94' tag as a purely commercial decision.  I can't blame him really; after all £'s count. I just wish that producers would make an attempt to accurately portray what they intend to sell. It's not just a DJ problem, it's a whole industry -wide concern. When you consider that a great part of the hobby is tied up with historical intent, you stand to lose some of it when you partially mis-name it.

What happens when someone brings out a model of a 15, 16, or 18" Hunslet? (Not I add, the Austerity, but the correct name). Would you lump them all in the same name?

Hey, here's a good idea! I'll start calling them Swindon pacifics! After all, the Western cured the big-end problems on the LNER! No? I don't thing that'll catch on either.....

I wish Dave well, and hope he resolves things, such as we get to buy the other J94 18" Hunslet Austerities he's promised. The cheque is still there.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I wish Dave well, and hope he resolves things, such as we get to buy the other J94 18" Hunslet Austerities he's promised. The cheque is still there.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

I hope so too. I think I am right in saying it is around 6 years sinceit was announced that the Austerity would be produced, in three different scales, so I can understand why people have been frustrated (although personally I feel life is too short to get worked up about such trivial matters as toy trains).

The initial run of 4mm scale models would appear to have sold quite well; the N gauge version seems to be very slowly progressing; I am extremely patient but, though it pains me to say it, I doubt we will ever see the 7mm scale model.

I know Dave needs funds from one model to finance the next and I wish him all the best for the future. The Austerity is a great choice as it is a popular, versatile prototype and will undoubtedly sell well in all three afforementioned scales. I for one hope that his initial plans will eventually come to fruition. I know Dave no longer contributes to the forum but I still offer him the best of luck for the future. 

13 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

What happens when someone brings out a model of a 15, 16, or 18" Hunslet? (Not I add, the Austerity, but the correct name). Would you lump them all in the same name?

Yes, because everyone knows which shape loco he means by 'J94'. Even if that isn't a J94. The detail differences are lost on 99% of the potential customer base.

Edited by Wheatley

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Yes, because everyone knows which shape loco he means by 'J94'. Even if that isn't a J94. The detail differences are lost on 99% of the potential customer base.

I fully agree with you. We've had 50+ years of calling the type incorrectly,; little wonder its 'stuck' to the type.  I just feel we're rather incumbent to educate the masses, even in model form.  There is a direct comparison between skills, knowledge & application.  he easiest way to lose these faculties is to stop using them.  Once they're gone, it's blessed hard to get them back. I probably know I'll be called pedantic, but in my little 'fortress of solitude' I'll still know the difference, and point that out in (hopefully) the friendliest of terms.

Have a good weekend folks,

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I hope so too. I think I am right in saying it is around 6 years sinceit was announced that the Austerity would be produced, in three different scales, so I can understand why people have been frustrated (although personally I feel life is too short to get worked up about such trivial matters as toy trains).

The initial run of 4mm scale models would appear to have sold quite well; the N gauge version seems to be very slowly progressing; I am extremely patient but, though it pains me to say it, I doubt we will ever see the 7mm scale model.

I know Dave needs funds from one model to finance the next and I wish him all the best for the future. The Austerity is a great choice as it is a popular, versatile prototype and will undoubtedly sell well in all three afforementioned scales. I for one hope that his initial plans will eventually come to fruition. I know Dave no longer contributes to the forum but I still offer him the best of luck for the future. 

Some of the contributors on here know that Dave does look into the forum, albeit on an inconspicuous basis.  He does keep a low profile as he gets more work done that way. He did let slip that he owns substantial artwork files for the 4mm  Austerity model(s), to keep it going for a lot of highly authentic re-runs.  I seem to remember that the Hattons  NCB no8 model sold out very quickly indeed. If its sister, no2 'Haulwen' gets the same treatment, I'd predict just the same.

I've never met Dave, but I've e-mailed him a couple of times. He comes across as a pretty amiable person, just like the 99.9% of the rest of us.

Ian.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

No, because they are totally different classes. A bit like saying a Jubilee, Black Five and Royal Scot are the same.

What do you mean by an 18"?

Do you mean the 50550, 48150 or the Austerity? Which is the correct term for the class as it was the one actually used by the WD.

BTW there are already decent models of 15 and 16 inch Hunslets available. With a 14 inch being a possibility at a later date. :)

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

No, because they are totally different classes. A bit like saying a Jubilee, Black Five and Royal Scot are the same.

What do you mean by an 18"?

Do you mean the 50550, 48150 or the Austerity? Which is the correct term for the class as it was the one actually used by the WD.

BTW there are already decent models of 15 and 16 inch Hunslets available. With a 14 inch being a possibility at a later date. :)

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Jason

Your post from earlier rather proves my point. Sure, I 'know' the differences, but when some people (including manufacturers) start just calling them J94, where will it end?  "Oh it sort of 'looks' like a J94, so it must be a J94".   If we won't put them right, who will?

As far as I know, Hunslets produced the 14, 15, 16 & 18" industrial based locomotive. A close cousin gave us the 50550 & 48150 classes. The Ministry of Supply introduced us to the 18" Hunslet Austerity, which is the basis for the J94 moniker we know & love. I own an DJ (94, and I own 2 18" Hunslet Austerities. In the middle of the night, on top of a mountain, at 2 miles distance (and it's raining) you wouldn't tell them apart.

Pedantic? Yes;  I'm guilty as charged M'lud. I'll be hauled to the Pedant Penal Colony, where I'll live out my days counting rivets.... "eere! That 'aint right!" And it's the wrong shade of maroon!"

Question. Can you tell the difference between the words maroon & macaroon? Get it right, and you might win a coconut.....

have a good weekend folks,

Ian.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Your post from earlier rather proves my point. Sure, I 'know' the differences, but when some people (including manufacturers) start just calling them J94, where will it end?  "Oh it sort of 'looks' like a J94, so it must be a J94".   If we won't put them right, who will?

As far as I know, Hunslets produced the 14, 15, 16 & 18" industrial based locomotive. A close cousin gave us the 50550 & 48150 classes. The Ministry of Supply introduced us to the 18" Hunslet Austerity, which is the basis for the J94 moniker we know & love. I own an DJ (94, and I own 2 18" Hunslet Austerities. In the middle of the night, on top of a mountain, at 2 miles distance (and it's raining) you wouldn't tell them apart.

Pedantic? Yes;  I'm guilty as charged M'lud. I'll be hauled to the Pedant Penal Colony, where I'll live out my days counting rivets.... "eere! That 'aint right!" And it's the wrong shade of maroon!"

Question. Can you tell the difference between the words maroon & macaroon? Get it right, and you might win a coconut.....

have a good weekend folks,

Ian.

Ian,

I understand the point but fear it's something that will never be fully recognised. J94 is a generic tag to cover all these locos and to the average lay person will probably suffice. I personally prefer the term Austerity tank, and always use this, but I certainly do not profess to being any kind of expert and certainly not as knowledgeable as you obviously are. 

Thanks for sharing your expertise and, rest assured, there is nothing wrong with pedantry when it is useful and helps to inform others. I for one am grateful for the information you have posted :good_mini:

Anyway, personally I am keeping my fingers crossed for the appearance of DJM's 7mm scale version one day!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2019 at 00:57, south_tyne said:

Anyway, personally I am keeping my fingers crossed for the appearance of DJM's 7mm scale version one day!! 

So am I, it would be nice to have a good ready to run Austerity tank

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

A short running session featuring the DJmodels RMweb Limited Edition - Austerity 0-6-0st, in Eye-Catching smart NCB Yellow Livery, edited with Real Sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of preserved class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/vmYoe6Bwy_U

2019-05-11_17-37-31.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:57, south_tyne said:

Ian,

I understand the point but fear it's something that will never be fully recognised. J94 is a generic tag to cover all these locos and to the average lay person will probably suffice. I personally prefer the term Austerity tank, and always use this, but I certainly do not profess to being any kind of expert and certainly not as knowledgeable as you obviously are. 

Thanks for sharing your expertise and, rest assured, there is nothing wrong with pedantry when it is useful and helps to inform others. I for one am grateful for the information you have posted :good_mini:

When preservation groups dress up industrial WD saddletanks as faux J94s, sometimes using a real J94 identity and at other times inventing a new number to extend the range, what chance has the layman of knowing that J94 isn't the descriptor for the whole class?

Les

(who remembers at school being shown pictures of the Lambton members of the class described as "a J94 with a coal board cab")

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

When preservation groups dress up industrial WD saddletanks as faux J94s, sometimes using a real J94 identity and at other times inventing a new number to extend the range, what chance has the layman of knowing that J94 isn't the descriptor for the whole class?

Les

(who remembers at school being shown pictures of the Lambton members of the class described as "a J94 with a coal board cab")

True. But we all know what folk mean when they say "it's a J94" so it doesn't do any harm. I always think those Lambton tanks look great with the modified cabs. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's one quick way to offend a railway modeller, where someone described an exhibition layout as an "00 toy train set...." You get the picture.

I'd guess some of the greatest research into historical railways emanates from railway modellers, regardless of scale. However, I hold that if the research isn't up to the mark, then we will drift back to T****y T***s as used by a short-trousered snotty whom really should know better.

I'll leave you with a bit of intrigue...

All of the development work is/has been done for the 18" austerity. Dave Jones reckons there could  be about 100+ new authentic, bona-fide liveries. Dave 'could' recover his tooling, and possibly go into production, with a ready made  order book to snap up the new releases.  (The Hattons/DJM NCB no8 model was the fastest-selling model at that time). So, my question is this: why not? Are/is someone deliberately keeping this off the shelves? There's nothing like selling product to improve your bank balance, and your standing as a producer.

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Sorry folks, I posted out of context. Oops!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From what I have read else where, I am not sure Dave can recover the tooling.

I have 4 on pre-order that were annouced in August 17. (3x NCB and 1xMSC)

I think if Dave could produce them he would as i am sure he would have been hoping these would be a steady income over the coming years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hippo said:

From what I have read else where, I am not sure Dave can recover the tooling.

I have 4 on pre-order that were annouced in August 17. (3x NCB and 1xMSC)

I think if Dave could produce them he would as i am sure he would have been hoping these would be a steady income over the coming years.

Preaching to the choir, old chap. Like you, I'm awaiting the MSC version as well. I nominated Haulwen No2, a Mountain Ash resident to partner no8. Should it be produced, I'll rip DJM's arm off. Then, just down the road at the DFR is RENNES, now restored to Longmoor Railway livery (It could be the Woolmer instructional Railway). In short, there are about 20-odd bona-fide locomotive liveries in a 20 mile radius from Mountain Ash. Nantgarw colliery had 3 of them....

I just hope Dave can resolve this, both for Dave's sake, and the general modelling community at large.

Ian.

• Like 1

• AY Mod locked this topic