DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

Despite all the variants being produced, there's only really one that stands out for me. (Although isn't that the point, as all the variants being produced means at least 1 of them will appeal to most people, and it's easier on my wallet.)

Although, given I'm forcing myself to save up for more long term items (a car etc), I'm struggling to find the funds currently, especially as the one that appeals to me is one of the Ltd Eds.

Ah, the material pursuits of life...

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

I think there are about seventy WD saddletanks still in existence out of the 484 or 485 built (must count them and work out which of the two quoted numbers is right).

One version not covered and left for the aftermarket is this one-

post-13358-0-42393100-1434230053_thumb.jpg

I have a Hornby loco in bits waiting for me to pluck up the courage to anneal the cab kit so I can bend the roof.  The kit is a single part that bends to mahe the cab roof, sides and bunker with other bits to solder onto it.  It is in the shed at the moment and I can't remember who the kit is by.   At least if I bog it up I don't lose the engine- you only fit the cab AFTER you've made it.

Les

• Like 1

It is in the shed at the moment and I can't remember who the kit is by.   At least if I bog it up I don't lose the engine- you only fit the cab AFTER you've made it.

Les

Sounds like the same as mine by RT models.

There is one or two out there who do seem to be in on some sort of vapour-war, let alone vapour ware 

They act like spoiled obnoxious kids and then accuse others of being the same thing :D

One often sees in others the characteristics one dislikes most in oneself 

I'd not name names cos they mite gang up and beat me up - or summat   :D hahaha 

Be interesting to go over to the very silent world of  weblog7  or whatever name it is generally ignored by, and see how Mr Angry's latest P4 EM cos P4 dont work trainset is getting along

I only found the above mentioned rantathon cos I googled "Vapourwear DJM"  - talk about hell hath no fury.... :D

A benefit of being an old f*rt is a long memory and, if you are lucky, some useful back issues of railway magazines. Now I think my googling skills are good enough to identify Mr. Angry, and my magazine collection happens to include a 1993 Railway Modeller where this gentleman described a railway layout built for exhibition where he admits that half the stock was out of the box. Some of the rest simply received a swipe of a paintbrush to weather it.

I will credit him with having made some progress in the intervening years, but he really should pause a moment to see where he came from before launching forth on a tirade aimed at those who buy RTR products.

His literary style at the time is perhaps described as "cringeworthy", the progress of time has moved him on to "abrasive and rude".

The recent photos, and thanks for keeping us well up to date, have persuaded me to get an order in. I was on the fence as to whether I wanted one, now it seems that I medically need one!

I don't mind waiting, heck, I've got a Q6 ordered too and that's way off, so I think I can cope! It'll give me time to ferret some pennies away for it!

Cheers

J

Edited for autocorrect nonsense!

Edited by JaymzHatstand

• RMweb Premium

Great work Dave, I'm sure the results will be worth the extra wait and the recent updates indicate that it will. It's a shame I no longer model in OO but these are very tempting for a small industrial layout. I hope the N and O gauge versions get the same amount of attention, those two will make cracking models as well (those are the ones I'm looking forward to!)

• RMweb Premium

Looking through the limited editions on the Hattons website, I see that they are all available with DCC sound fitted. Does anyone know any more about this? It looks like it will be a Locosound v4, but doesn't say who has provided the sound for it.

I'm trying to decide whether to pre-order one fitted with sound, or get one without sound and retrofit sound later.

Any info or advice appreciated.

The previous models I have purchased sound fitted from Hattons have been Olivia's sound.

Ah, that is useful. I had brought a Heljan class 35 from them pre-fitted with sound and wondered who sound it was.

Thought I would post a picture from the Legends of Steam event at Tanfield Railway today. On tomorrow as well if you are free. The pending Hattons J94!

post-6914-0-46687200-1434820097.jpg

Edited by DLPG
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

When the RMweb austerity was announced, I asked how good it would be as a basis for 3883, the loco tested on the WR in 1963. The most obvious difference there is the ladder, not present on 3883. With all the other  versions announced, is there a better match? Or even any rumours of a model of 3883...

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought I would post a picture from the Legends of Steam event at Tanfield Railway today. On tomorrow as well if you are free. The pending Hattons J94!

Please, please, it's not a J94...

It's a Hunslet 18" Austerity.

Still a nice loco though........

Ian

A benefit of being an old f*rt is a long memory and, if you are lucky, some useful back issues of railway magazines. Now I think my googling skills are good enough to identify Mr. Angry, and my magazine collection happens to include a 1993 Railway Modeller where this gentleman described a railway layout built for exhibition where he admits that half the stock was out of the box. Some of the rest simply received a swipe of a paintbrush to weather it.

I will credit him with having made some progress in the intervening years, but he really should pause a moment to see where he came from before launching forth on a tirade aimed at those who buy RTR products.

His literary style at the time is perhaps described as "cringeworthy", the progress of time has moved him on to "abrasive and rude".

Couldn't resist googling 'vapourware DJM' after reading the above.  Dear me, don't some people get their knickers in a twist!   Interestingly, following the group 'vapourfests' over 2014, the last comments were in April 2015.  After that they seem to have gone quiet.  I wonder why...............................

• Like 3

Shouldn't the frames be black, not red ?

Back in the day...  Red.

Actually, to be pedantic, maroon (to match the body). The coupling rods were red...

Porcy

Edit: Apologies. Forgot to add the link.

https://flic.kr/p/Zu4tnC

https://flic.kr/p/9PusFq

Edited to add another link as original has been removed.

Further Edit as original has returned.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A cracking shot with loads of lovely atmosphere! ;)

Thanks for posting :D

Cheers,

Mark

• 9 months later...

Many thanks for these – terrific stuff. May we have a Giesl ejector variant, please, Mr. Jones?

If I was unsure about getting one before, after eyeing those videos now I know I must have at least one!

• Like 1