DJ Models - J94 Update

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

I've attached the latest decorations for the remaining J94's for your comments. 

If there's nothing glaringly obvious (buffer beam numbers?) these will start being painted on Monday (loco's chassis and bodies are already waiting just for the final go)

Please feel free to comment accordingly.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-72824400-1470215335_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-96125000-1470215369_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-13982700-1470215393_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-09471700-1470215425_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I've attached the latest decorations for the remaining J94's for your comments. 

If there's nothing glaringly obvious (buffer beam numbers?) these will start being painted on Monday (loco's chassis and bodies are already waiting just for the final go)

Please feel free to comment accordingly.

cheers

Dave

Now you have done it, 68068 ordered, and it is not even suitable for my railways. I am afraid Dave, my wife is going to be very angry with you!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Yup, three were at Bidston in 1958. Anyone know their numbers just in case one found its way to Wrexham, then Gobowen, then Oswestry! Purely out of interest, when did BR start fitting a third set of steps between the existing steps?

Edited by coachmann

Yup, three were at Bidston in 1958. Anyone know their numbers just in case one found its way to Wrexham, then Gobowen, then Oswestry! Purely out of interest, when did BR start fitting a third set of steps between the existing steps?

Any help?

JF

• RMweb Gold

Ive done my Trainset trials.

verdict is in.

Being a family guy I don't have time to do the scenery, so excuse the lack of it (and the heath robinson construction), I like to just "play" trains.

Some day I will join my local club and learn to do it better :-) All images done from the iPad.

Anyway to the models..

I'm not going to bore about the box, except to say the fittings are straight forwards:.. 2x coupling, 2x vac pipes, 2x steam pipes all push fit, plus 1 business card from Dave, all ribbon wrapped.

Onto the model.

The paint job is spot on, indeed its excellent. The colour rendition of both models is very good, indeed it's excellent !

post-20773-0-01673100-1470231677_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-50407100-1470231678_thumb.jpg

I used to think my "Whiston" from Hornby was a nice rendition, but the colours on Robert are much more as I remember them.

post-20773-0-51672500-1470232130_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-84898200-1470232134_thumb.jpg

very nice cab detail, the footplate on Mech Navvies is noticeably a shade darker than the brighter cab of Robert. Both detailed and painted exceptional.

post-20773-0-02448400-1470231674_thumb.jpg

Running:

Very smooth, and a nice realistic speed. I think the all wheel gearing makes for a smoother ride.

I did notice a J94 style wobble on points, which is what I recall seeing the real thing do.

Very nice at slow speed.

Then was the surprise.

I have some silly gradients and figured I'd do a haulage test.

I should point out both videos my Gaugemaster Q was at speed 70 ! (you can noticeably see the difference in speed between the Hornby and DJ models.

The number of wagons was a load based on what it would take with a standing start on that gradient.

1. First Robert

I figured the all wheel gearing would give it some umpth...

unfortunately not, I reduced the load and tried again... and again... final tally 9 Wagons.

2. Then Whiston

Whist ran up it ok and with some speed and took 4 more wagons with it than the DJM J94, final tally 13 wagons

That said it hardly looked glamourous.

see the comparison videos between Whiston and Robert, I was slightly disappointed that Whiston pulls more up the gradient (4 extra wagons) than Robert..

However flip side is Robert by far pulls its wagons more elegantly up that gradient than Whiston.

My opinion:

Looks: The paint job takes it to DJM

Detail: The Hornby J94 isn't bad, but the buffer beam detail, smoke box darts and the high standard of the cab detail takes it for DJM.

(note the more accurate chimney and the correct profile of the forward cab windows).

Haulage: Have to give it to Hornby it pulls more

Smoothness: DJM.. it looks like a J94 runs, smooth starting, very slow detail and more accurate scale speed.

post-20773-0-90826100-1470231675_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist putting all 3 J94s on that gradient with 26 wagons..

Lets face it, this engine won't be racing round my track, on a level for slow speed control and smoothness the DJ J94 will do fine.

Lastly..whoops..  

Robert came to grief on an insulfrog point during my first slow speed take (hence the race approach to the videos)... one thing to keep an eye on, as it happened on a few different points, not that I consider my track to be perfect by any measure !

I'll step aside for the experts to do their reviews.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

The DJ J94s look great....but I can't find a photo of 'Royal Engineer' anywhere with the separately fitted etched nameplates attached....has anyone got one??

Is the DJM model the same as the Isle of Wight loco? If it is then it is missing the 1 at the start of its number. I could not find any info that this loco ran as 98 prior to being 198.

Hi,

Please note that the Royal Engineers j94 is a Hattons exclusive and is covered with its own info in the Hattons section of this site.

But to cover the missing '1', yes indeed it did not have a '1' for a portion of its life, and there are pictures I've seen either online or via Hattons showing it without.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

Please note that the Royal Engineers j94 is a Hattons exclusive and is covered with its own info in the Hattons section of this site.

But to cover the missing '1', yes indeed it did not have a '1' for a portion of its life, and there are pictures I've seen either online or via Hattons showing it without.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, I did look online a lot but found nothing. Anyway, it is good to know it is the same loco

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I finally got around to running my 2 examples of the DJ/Hattons 18" Austerities (only the BR ones were J94's) Spot on job. Looks the part. I suspect the sympathetic rendition of the wheels helps enormously. Good job on the weathering of NCB No8. My only observation is that the Mech Navvies model lacks a kit of parts to upgrade to the preserved look. I guess I can buy these bits from DJ, if I really need to.

Both run a treat. Just right for my shunting plank. Very responsive and controllable.

Well done Dave & team. If your proposed 14xx turns out anything like these, I'll be well impressed, and probably skint as well.

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

I just received my austerity as no. 15 in wemyss private railway brown and it looks amazing however i noticed that it did not come with any couplings (not even in the detail pack of fire irons etc.) Am I missing the extra detail pack and if so how do i get hold of one?

Other than that it is a stunning model and if it runs as good as it looks then I'll be very happy.

I just received my austerity as no. 15 in wemyss private railway brown and it looks amazing however i noticed that it did not come with any couplings (not even in the detail pack of fire irons etc.) Am I missing the extra detail pack and if so how do i get hold of one?

Other than that it is a stunning model and if it runs as good as it looks then I'll be very happy.

Ring Hattons and they should send you one (or exchange the loco).

Les

This week I had to return a DJ Models main range J94 in early BR livery, to the supplier, Kernow Models, as it was completely dead. I hadn't run it since I received it in mid September, due to decorating making the layout unusable. When I tried to run it for the first time last week, there was no response in either direction and no response from any wheels to the current being applied directly from the controller. So cautionary experience to try and test these models in addition to the DJ Models testing certificate. I have received a replacement this morning, which runs superbly.

Ive done my Trainset trials.

verdict is in.

Being a family guy I don't have time to do the scenery, so excuse the lack of it (and the heath robinson construction), I like to just "play" trains.

Some day I will join my local club and learn to do it better :-) All images done from the iPad.

Anyway to the models..

I'm not going to bore about the box, except to say the fittings are straight forwards:.. 2x coupling, 2x vac pipes, 2x steam pipes all push fit, plus 1 business card from Dave, all ribbon wrapped.

Onto the model.

The paint job is spot on, indeed its excellent. The colour rendition of both models is very good, indeed it's excellent !

attachicon.gifIMG_0341.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0340.jpg

I used to think my "Whiston" from Hornby was a nice rendition, but the colours on Robert are much more as I remember them.

attachicon.gifIMG_0333.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0344.jpg

very nice cab detail, the footplate on Mech Navvies is noticeably a shade darker than the brighter cab of Robert. Both detailed and painted exceptional.

attachicon.gifIMG_0350.jpg

Running:

Very smooth, and a nice realistic speed. I think the all wheel gearing makes for a smoother ride.

I did notice a J94 style wobble on points, which is what I recall seeing the real thing do.

Very nice at slow speed.

Then was the surprise.

I have some silly gradients and figured I'd do a haulage test.

I should point out both videos my Gaugemaster Q was at speed 70 ! (you can noticeably see the difference in speed between the Hornby and DJ models.

The number of wagons was a load based on what it would take with a standing start on that gradient.

1. First Robert

I figured the all wheel gearing would give it some umpth...

unfortunately not, I reduced the load and tried again... and again... final tally 9 Wagons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cl1f_W40wA

2. Then Whiston

Whist ran up it ok and with some speed and took 4 more wagons with it than the DJM J94, final tally 13 wagons

That said it hardly looked glamourous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5k0rSR9iuo

see the comparison videos between Whiston and Robert, I was slightly disappointed that Whiston pulls more up the gradient (4 extra wagons) than Robert..

However flip side is Robert by far pulls its wagons more elegantly up that gradient than Whiston.

My opinion:

Looks: The paint job takes it to DJM

Detail: The Hornby J94 isn't bad, but the buffer beam detail, smoke box darts and the high standard of the cab detail takes it for DJM.

(note the more accurate chimney and the correct profile of the forward cab windows).

Haulage: Have to give it to Hornby it pulls more

Smoothness: DJM.. it looks like a J94 runs, smooth starting, very slow detail and more accurate scale speed.

attachicon.gifIMG_0342.jpg

I couldn't resist putting all 3 J94s on that gradient with 26 wagons..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPn8j5qMwag

Lets face it, this engine won't be racing round my track, on a level for slow speed control and smoothness the DJ J94 will do fine.

Lastly..whoops..

Robert came to grief on an insulfrog point during my first slow speed take (hence the race approach to the videos)... one thing to keep an eye on, as it happened on a few different points, not that I consider my track to be perfect by any measure !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzBlZuRbEQ&feature=youtu.be

I'll step aside for the experts to do their reviews.

I finally got a Royal Engineer. My dream is to run this with Hattons Warwells someday..... and agree with what you say above.

First off, finish looks great. Nice etched plates etc. Now, I have a Dapol J94 from the early 90s. It was part of the small loco fleet replacing an equal older number of Hornby & Mainline machines, the 90s fleet being the J94, Bachmann J72, Dapol Terrier, Bachmann 03, Bachmann 04. From that motly crew, the Dapol J94 was the best performer and has been constantly used as first choice when either building a new layout or running on the Chatham club layout. It was/is a practical model matched only in haulage power by the J72 and generally better than the other 3.

My expectation was the new model to exceed that.

Last year I also took delivery of 3 USA tanks (its real world rival), and these have been successful and excellent machines all running fine from day one.

The USA tanks beat the Dapol J94 every where except for haulage where the Dapol J94 is just stronger. None the less the old Dapol model is starting to show its age and will not lend itself easily to sound conversion that the DJM will. As I have fond memories of these on the KESR, having a sound version would be great.

I also order Wilbert at the same time which should be delivered as we speak. Money from this goes to help the real loco and the kids can put it next to Thomas!

Royal Engineer was also chosen as its located in the south (albeit somewhat modified on an island) and could fit in with my DCC sound fitted southern stuff.

So Royal Engineer arrived, looked the part for sure. Once out the box, I was surprised by the weight. It is lighter than the older Dapol one and lighter than the USA tank.

Straight onto the track... by DJM standards (O2, Well tank for example), I found this model to be noisy (more noisy than the open framed well run in Dapol one, but not as noisy as a new Hornby KESR Terrier) in both directions, in reverse it was not great at all running like a loco with dirty wheels in jerky fits and starts.

A good few hours on the rolling road and a drop of oil on the gear trains reduced the noise and got running condition into great order.

Despite being a compact loco with a short chassis, it despised the tight curves (1st radius - edit 2, actually it's second radius it does not like, especially the joins) around the dock areas. The loco has side play but the rods are rigid (they can flex with fingers and would probably flex if the model was twice the weight) which cause the leading pair of drivers to pop off the line. So definitely not for tight track work. Note, the modern USA tank copes with these easily.

As others have noted, it can also hesitate over point work (especially sharp chunky points), maybe due to its lightness and rigid rods. To be honest, Dapol cheated here by having a sprung axle (so does the well tank, although that axle is not coupled), so a stay alive capacitor will be required for DCC conversion I feel.

Pulling power. On dead flat track 7 modern lighted Hornby pullmans is easy. However slight inclines (simply because there is no such thing as a perfectly level layout when it is modular and reaches a certain size) reduces that to 5 so it should cope with 5 Warwells and a few other MOD wagons I have. However being lighter than the USA and old Dapol J94, it is not as strong as either of those.

I don't take the bad running at the start as being typical of DJM, far from it (I was concerned that it would not smooth out, but it did eventually). But I do feel split coupling rods and more weight would improve this model's running greatly. However before concluding that, I will see how Wilbert performs when it arrives.

Edit: just noticed the sprung buffers on this model. They are a bit stiff for my taste. I find Heljan stiffness to be about right IMHO.

Edited by JSpencer

I now have my second DJM Austerity, this timed Wilbert. Out of the box, it's running characteristics is worse than the first, so it too will spend much of Monday on a rolling road being run in.

That said, this second model has no problems on second radius curves. So why does the first always lift off the front pair of drivers while Wilbert does not?

Checked the back to backs, Royal Engineer is between 14.6 and 14.7 mm apart. Wilbert is 14.5 to 14.45. Could it be this ?

I,ll try and push a Royal Enginner closer.

One thing, the front handrail makes taking the front off for chip fitting a bit of a challenge.

Want to help the Dean Forest? Buy a Wilbert.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know the 4 remaining decorated decorated J94 releases are arriving in the U.K. On the 1st of March, so will probably filter into your DJModels stockists (UK) around the 8 - 10th March. 2 x LNER and 2 x BR)

Overseas stockists will get them around 5-7 days later I would think.

Direct expressions of interest customers will be invoiced around the 3rd of March

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I now have my second DJM Austerity, this timed Wilbert. Out of the box, it's running characteristics is worse than the first, so it too will spend much of Monday on a rolling road being run in.

That said, this second model has no problems on second radius curves. So why does the first always lift off the front pair of drivers while Wilbert does not?

Checked the back to backs, Royal Engineer is between 14.6 and 14.7 mm apart. Wilbert is 14.5 to 14.45. Could it be this ?

I,ll try and push a Royal Enginner closer.

One thing, the front handrail makes taking the front off for chip fitting a bit of a challenge.

Want to help the Dean Forest? Buy a Wilbert.

After that review?  :scratchhead:

After that review?  :scratchhead:

Not good, I'm afraid. Wilbert started to issue smoke around the 4th hour of trying to run it in and it's gone back since. Still waiting for its replacement to arrive.

I have 5 DJM models so far, so will not take this as typical, the Well tank and O2s have performed faultlessly since being in service for a year now.

Royal Engineer is settling  in but it has a blower pipe on one side which currently prevents me from taking the body apart so I can add crew, weight etc. It does not seem to pull off very easily. I feel the rest of the body and cab would probably un-clip easily once I get the blower off. It just needs to be unclipped from either the smokebox side or the cab, so far it seems stuck fast.

Anyone else unclipped their blower???

• 2 weeks later...

The second Wilbert arrived yesterday, runs perfectly from the box. But a fussy engine going forwards on set track points and not overly mad on 2nd radius in that direction either like the others. The latter must be 100% perfectly joined (no gaps ) and dead flat. Running backwards through them, there is no problem. There is big weight in the bunker meaning in terms of weight distribution balance, most of the weight is on the rear axle compounded with the fact that this is light model compared with say a USA tank.

EDIT: I will add though, no issues on streamline points and larger curves.

Wilbert will remain as is. But Royal engineer will be taken apart to add crew, DCC sound and weight forwards. This is made slightly awkward by the external ejector exhaust pipe attached at the smokebox saddle, I have not yet succeeded to pull it out. Once done the body should come off easily.

The removable front is a no go as that is blocked by the lamp irons and front handrail.

Edited by JSpencer

The second Wilbert arrived yesterday, runs perfectly from the box. But a fussy engine going forwards on set track points and not overly mad on 2nd radius in that direction either like the others. The latter must be 100% perfectly joined (no gaps ) and dead flat. Running backwards through them, there is no problem. There is big weight in the bunker meaning in terms of weight distribution balance, most of the weight is on the rear axle compounded with the fact that this is light model compared with say a USA tank.

Wilbert will remain as is. But Royal engineer will be taken apart to add crew, DCC sound and weight forwards. This is made slightly awkward by the external ejector exhaust pipe attached at the smokebox saddle, I have not yet succeeded to pull it out. Once done the body should come off easily.

The removable front is a no go as that is blocked by the lamp irons and front handrail.

Although it's not a perfect bit of video, there is a clip I took on my web site under maintenance of the removal of the smokebox door.

You gently slide it sideways not pull out and off the front as there are clearance problems.

It's tight skiding it, but much easier.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Both my Q1 and T9 derail running forwards but run perfectly in reverse, it's curious.

No problem with the Q1s (I have 3, 2 Hornby, 1 Kit) running in either direction. The T9 (I have 3 of those) can loose traction if change of incline going up is too sharp as the front drivers with traction tyres will lift off but otherwise no issue there really.

Edited by JSpencer