How to detail Marcway Points?

I've bought a ready made Marcway points set, but I'm disappointed with the lack of detail, it'll look silly mated up to my C&L track. I'll be building my own from now on but I can't lose these points.

I can't add chairs to them without unsoldering the sleepers and I'm not sure i'll be able to do that without damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to add detail to make them look presentable?

cheers

Kev

Kev,

You could try cutting C&L chairs in half and stick either side of the track. I've not tried, having seen the Markway points on the club layout I decided to go for C&L same as you. You will also need to put cork under the Markway to get the track to the same hight as the copper clad sleepers are thinner than the plastic ones in the C&L track.

Hope that is of some use.

DaveC

Hi Kev

I'm afraid you've just learnt a lesson I learned 20 odd years ago! Cutting chairs in half won't work because they will be too high and foul the flanges on the inside. You don't say which scale you're modelling in. If it's 7mm using 4mm chairs might work but is not a very satisfactory solution. But I'm afraid the short answer is that there is no answer - apart from unsoldering the whole thing, reassembling with brass spacers on each sleeper and cutting cosmetic chairs in half. Hope you're still quite young cos it would take for ever!! Put it down to experience and stick the point in an unobtrusive place or flog it.

Bill

Thanks for the responses, I guess the only thing to do then is to cut the chairs in half then cut them down on height then glue them in position :icon_cry: That'll take for ever as its a 3 way and the key point on the station throat.

Ill try overfilling with ballast and painting that area pretty dark to try to disguise it.

What a way to learn a lesson

Kev

Archived