Greenwood cutting

StuartM

• RMweb Premium

Because I build in an organic fashion (in other words I make it up as I go along) I start with an idea in my head and then try to replicate in model form, however the drawback of this is that sometimes what I can imagine can't be squeezed into the available area, so I then have to play around with ideas until I like what I see.

The land behind the depot was going to be woodland/bushes etc rather like you would see when looking out the window while passing through Wandsworth common, but as you will see from the imagines below, that didn't really work, so today I knocked up a prototype building to see what that would look like instead.

I think it works better, although I might rebuild with darker brick and alter a lot of the grassy hill.

Urban looks good, Stuart, in fact urban always looks good to me :sungum:

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice choice of motive power there, Stuart. Two of my favourites. Biscuit tins indeed . . . we could have a serious falling out Mr Watt!

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just discovered this thread after seeing it linked in another.  Very enjoyable - thanks for posting.

Since the look of the scenics is relatively timeless, do you plan on running stock from other eras, or just BR Blue?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Well my main enjoyment is from construction, so the plan was, when this is complete, to write it up and take some decent photos and then then sell the article to one of the model rail magazines; after that I was either going to scrap it and start a new project or perhaps donate it to the 2mm association who were after a small layout for promotional purposes on the exhibition circuit, it just depends on whether I feel it's good enough when I've finished.

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-93739000-1441735545_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

About half way through any project I work on, one of two things tends to happen, I either get bored and want to go and do something else, or I hit a road block and need to spend some time learning some aspect of model making that I'm not experience at, and with Greenwood cutting, its buildings.

I'm not very good at buildings, so I've taken a small diversion and spent some time learning buildings, and I have to say, the more I use Scalescene products the more and more I like them.
The goods depot/loco works below is built entirely from Scalescenes brick sheets, with the exception of the downpipes, oil drums, pallets and grass clumps.

I might rebuilt Greenwood cutting to incorporate this building or it might become part of another layout.

post-10866-0-61298400-1443263775_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-25005200-1443263784_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-79961800-1443263802_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-89140500-1443264339_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm struggling to bring into existence what I'm imagining in my head.

The idea was, that this was a fuelling point in a tree lined cutting, but my skills weren't good good enough to create what I was visualising, so I decided to use buildings as the backdrop, but this just wasn't working for me, so I've had another go at the original idea, with better results, but still not as I'd like it.

A work in progress me thinks.

post-10866-0-52532800-1453329040_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-40522800-1453329048_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-49343800-1453329056_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart

Looks good mabe try using sea foam trees spray with hairspray and dip or sprinkle on scatter

I used them on the last layout after messing with a few ideas and they were the best looking

Brian

Hi Stuart

Looks good mabe try using sea foam trees spray with hairspray and dip or sprinkle on scatter

I used them on the last layout after messing with a few ideas and they were the best looking

Brian

Thank you for the advice,

I'd never heard of Seafoam, however a quick search on the www came up with this very instructional video, and ebay is sending me a box of 25 trees for £12, so we shall see

• RMweb Gold

In the most recent MRJ 244, Jerry has written about the extension he's made for Tucking Mill, William Smith's Wharf. Both that and Tucking Mill feature a very convincing backdrop of woods, so maybe Jerry can explain how it was done.

Seafoam can work very well but the plants do tend to go brittle if they are not thoroughly soaked in glycerine solution.

Mark

I have used Seafoam trees on Cotstart East for a number of years. At the end of a show I remove them from the layout and pack them carefully in a "humidifier". ( a plastic box lined with dampened sponge or tissue).  I poke a matchstick in the resultant ground-hole so I can find where to replant them (not necessarily the same tree in the original hole - life's too short to label everything). I found when setting up at shows that trying to locate unmarked holes is quite a pain unless viewed  directly from above and then the fascia can get knocked.

However the sprigs don't last forever and do go dull. When needed,  I buy replacement fresh stocks at shows as they're not too expensive.

If I can't get the scenic section how I want it, then I may well return to an industrial version, as the whole scenic section is a plug in module, as is the scenic section above the tunnel.
I've already planned for failure or a change of mind (pre-cognitive hindsight is a wonderful thing :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Another day another attempt at a back scene, this time using sea moss and various buildings made from Scale scenes bits and pieces.

The sea moss has just been planted straight from the box to get an idea of how it would look, but I think on the strength of these photos I'll now paint hem and add the static grass

post-10866-0-14890300-1455302304_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-30266700-1455302328_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-88361000-1455302371_thumb.jpg

Archived