Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

18 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Bit of progress on the freightliner front, i now have 2 outers and 1 inner pretty much completed:

The SKits bits are pretty good but i did add a bit of plasticard to deepen the buffer beam as i like the chamfered look of them.

20191106_230214.jpg.4796379369fc8215d735c4b2897eb38b.jpg20191106_230146.jpg.d14afdfd92985e3151adae4139222104.jpg

20191106_230232.jpg.3ed4441284bd9103fac4041dda75e506.jpg

Whilst i have been doing other non modelling stuff my dad took it upon himself to have a go at the 4 car prototype shorty rake, hes already done both outers and an inner and they look great. Another inner is just about done tonight and just need some final bits to finish the rake off, looks like theyll be going through the paint shop together with the 5 car set, weather depending. 

20191106_230458.jpg.399624e640eb471114c82d5c258486ef.jpg

20191106_230504.jpg.63e3d8871f93fcf65fb1d601422886a0.jpg

Not much else to report, got some 30ft containers ready for painting and a few more 20fters on the way from Ebay.

The Janus is just about ready for transfers so may get these done this weekend.

Cheers for looking in

James

Hi James,

Do you have anything to use for the intermediate buckeyes ? If not I have some spares form Dapol kits should you require them.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Do you have anything to use for the intermediate buckeyes ? If not I have some spares form Dapol kits should you require them.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, im just about to head up to me Dads so will have a word and see what his plans are for the shorty buck eyes, keep you posted.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Gibbo.

Evening @Gibbo675 me Dad says yes please if you have some spare, also he says to say thanks for your instructions on the short set, hes very much enjoyed the build!

Cheers

James

46 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Love that blue Kestrel, it's amazing how much the paint scheme changes the shape, as others have said.

Thanks Corbs, i am quite proud of it its come up pretty well, cant wait to have it pulling the freightliners around soon.

Cheers

James

Had a bit of an afternoon and evening session on the flats today and now have all 5 done complete with couplings, even managed a test run with a rake of 4 and im pleased to all is well. We had run out if serviceable bogies to do a full 5 car but this will be corrected this week once we have chopped another down.

20191110_224936.jpg.79173c7b4428d6512c40d3cbd63cd4f4.jpg

Bar couplings are provided in the kit so i have fixed them to the right hand end of the wagons and made up some removable pins so that its not coupled permanently, they seem to work very well, i was a little worried the couplings would snag or lock up but a proppeling showed they work just fine forward and reverse.

Also knocked up a caboose this aft from gibbos drawings so this had an outing on the back, still plenty to do on it but im pleased its come together ok.

20191110_224926.jpg.6b62eaed2799fb857caeb2153eeaab71.jpg20191110_224918.jpg.8ff5b00f3a7da0f2f10fb09cae03d276.jpg20191110_224929.jpg.7d42b2d02ab3ce5e28158f2433f77104.jpg

Shopping list for A LOT of new wheels being drawn up now, next stop will the paint shop for primer coats to show any bits to attend to on the flats. My Dads 4 car short rake is slightly ahead of mine as this is already in primer. 

All in all a good days work, day off tomorrow for a Northern day ranger trip to Nottingham for a beer or two and then back home for Harrogate Portsmouth FA cup game with a few mates, should be good if its not raining!

Cheers for looking

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well times moving on and i seem to have been tinkering with things every other evening but little in the way of 'big progress'. Iv been concentrating on the the caboose for the last week and i think its about ready for painting. Tonight saw me get the end railings and the finer details stuck on ready for another primer coat and then on with the rail grey.

The railings are a bit fragile being glued together wire which is off some ancient coil but its done the job and now seems more solid now its glued on. 

20191121_224253.jpg.6a06a1f2aa295b35c743758087216d55.jpg

The air pipes are from a Heljan sprue which i drilled out and mounted on some swan necked wire, these are pretty solid which im surprised about.

20191121_222415.jpg.f5f0ae72ecb4bdc653425c0fbf60f139.jpg

One feature i like is the 'safety bars' which block off the verandah, iv mounted one in the 'stowed' position across the railings and the other blocking access, which handily covers the fact id mounted the hand rail a bit too low on that side, not sure how i managed it as im sure they were level before primer went on!

The body side air vents are chopped down etched grilles from a 37/4 detailing etch i had and should look ok after painting.

20191121_222315.jpg.428523db096c8ed01220b6d229f5246d.jpg

Painting shouldnt take too long on this so hopefully itl be nearly complete next week, plus i have a plan to sort some transfers for this.

Next job is to finish the flats properly and get them painted up, just could do with some warmer weather for spraying....

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

19 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Well times moving on and i seem to have been tinkering with things every other evening but little in the way of 'big progress'. Iv been concentrating on the the caboose for the last week and i think its about ready for painting. Tonight saw me get the end railings and the finer details stuck on ready for another primer coat and then on with the rail grey.

The railings are a bit fragile being glued together wire which is off some ancient coil but its done the job and now seems more solid now its glued on. 

The air pipes are from a Heljan sprue which i drilled out and mounted on some swan necked wire, these are pretty solid which im surprised about.

One feature i like is the 'safety bars' which block off the verandah, iv mounted one in the 'stowed' position across the railings and the other blocking access, which handily covers the fact id mounted the hand rail a bit too low on that side, not sure how i managed it as im sure they were level before primer went on!

The body side air vents are chopped down etched grilles from a 37/4 detailing etch i had and should look ok after painting.

Painting shouldnt take too long on this so hopefully itl be nearly complete next week, plus i have a plan to sort some transfers for this.

Next job is to finish the flats properly and get them painted up, just could do with some warmer weather for spraying....

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I'm impressed that you seem to have made a better model than I managed from drawings developed from the model I made in the first place !!!

You asked recently if I wanted anything for bits and bobs, a set of transfers would be nice.

Looking good.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I'm impressed that you seem to have made a better model than I managed from drawings developed from the model I made in the first place !!!

You asked recently if I wanted anything for bits and bobs, a set of transfers would be nice.

Looking good.

Gibbo.

Cheers Gibbo, couldnt have done it without your drawings though! Really enjoying the build, looking at pictures and adding the little details from scrap fret and sprues brings it to life a little.

As for transfers for the caboose, we were discussing the numbers tonight, look very non standard and hand painted, my dad went through the box of 'non railway' transfers i.e. remains of the many aeroplane kit transfer sheets i keep 'just in case' i think iv struck it lucky, on the bottom of an airfix sheet for a Vulcan there is some red numbers with letter which look about right. They arnt for the Vulcan model, more like a reference number for the kit/transfer sheet, but being printed on the transfer they should be of use. I probably only have enough to make just to make 3 number sets, however, my fall back plan was going to be to produce some on some transfer paper. Ill see how i get on and keep you posted.

If you have any airfix kits or know of any body building some itl be worth checking the transfer sheets for these code/ref numbers, ill post a pic of them next time im up at the bench

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers Gibbo, couldnt have done it without your drawings though! Really enjoying the build, looking at pictures and adding the little details from scrap fret and sprues brings it to life a little.

As for transfers for the caboose, we were discussing the numbers tonight, look very non standard and hand painted, my dad went through the box of 'non railway' transfers i.e. remains of the many aeroplane kit transfer sheets i keep 'just in case' i think iv struck it lucky, on the bottom of an airfix sheet for a Vulcan there is some red numbers with letter which look about right. They arnt for the Vulcan model, more like a reference number for the kit/transfer sheet, but being printed on the transfer they should be of use. I probably only have enough to make just to make 3 number sets, however, my fall back plan was going to be to produce some on some transfer paper. Ill see how i get on and keep you posted.

If you have any airfix kits or know of any body building some itl be worth checking the transfer sheets for these code/ref numbers, ill post a pic of them next time im up at the bench

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I thought perhaps you were printing some up especially.

Gibbo.

22 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers

James

That’s looking good. Although not my modelling era it does bring back childhood memories....I had a Triang Freightliner wagon in the 1960’s or 70’s. I do like the scratch built caboose - looks the part.

I tend to think that a small amount of modelling each evening is a great way to move things along....and isa good way to relax.

As for the weather and spraying, I think that you need to ask Santa for one of these:rolleyes:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_407_33&products_id=20707

Although you’d get the same effect by having a big cardboard box, an old extractor fan and a tumble dryer hose!

Jon

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

That’s looking good. Although not my modelling era it does bring back childhood memories....I had a Triang Freightliner wagon in the 1960’s or 70’s. I do like the scratch built caboose - looks the part.

I tend to think that a small amount of modelling each evening is a great way to move things along....and isa good way to relax.

As for the weather and spraying, I think that you need to ask Santa for one of these:rolleyes:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_407_33&products_id=20707

Although you’d get the same effect by having a big cardboard box, an old extractor fan and a tumble dryer hose!

Jon

Thanks Jon, i do try get in at least 3 modelling sessions in a week but as we all know life gets in the a little! Wouldnt be so bad but all modelling is based at my Dads 5 mins walk away so it means i cant just start doing something at 10pm if i wished, plus side though it does make a relaxing escape from my house!

Im using up my remaining leave before Christmas so have got a full modelling day booked on Monday, should get a few things progressed, might have to stick a booth on my christmas list as it looks like rain is set in for a few days, again.

Cheers for looking

James

Evening all, bit of an update, had Monday off to try and pull a fee bits together but the rain has scuppered any chance of spraying so have got a few things up to the priming stage and the Janus just about ready for varnish after doing the transfers, ill add Yorkshire plates from Narrow Planet to finish off. We chose D2800 as in an alternate reality the North British shunters in that sequence never got ordered and Janus's were ordered when the 02's were also ordered. If i get another one im itching to have a rail blue one now- note to self chevron transfers will be easier to apply if i take the handrails off!

20191128_223648.jpg.9d90b9b84ff1c93acfe211c6f8b6d280.jpg20191128_223701.jpg.29d01ebdc241ab71b0a5744b7de50dc0.jpg

My freightliner 5 set is ready for primer after detailing the ends up and adding end ladders from some left over TTA etched ladders, my Dads 4 set is in primer and should be nearly done, however, the couplings Gibbo very kindly sent to me seem to have gone walkies in the post along with another 3 containers i won off ebay... very frustrating. The caboose has had a few coats of rail grey and im dead chuffed with it, next up will be the red stripe.

20191128_223606.jpg.96d89d0346d489b59d9b3d407e3a66ed.jpg

20191128_223616.jpg.e9ff7a673763f8368e43ec60e49dbaa3.jpg

4 more TTAs now are ready for priming after fitting some A1 roof walks. Lets hope the weather holds for the weekend!

20191128_223517.jpg.6abbb91ec578d333e2599628f18835e5.jpg

Cheers for looking in

James

Edited by jessy1692
More pics and more words
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

How easy is it to get the body off the Janus and remove the glazing?

I’ve also got one of the horrible BP liveried ones which I bought at a bargain price thinking  I might want to use the chassis for a 0-16.5 narrow gauge loco.  I’ve also got plenty of BR blue paint.  I could be tempted to try repainting it if I can dismantle it easily.

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Really love the green "what if" Janus, looks very convincing.

I couldn't see the point in buying one when they came out, but might have to reconsider!

John.

Do it! Mine was a hattons 50quid special which i thought was a steal last christmas, i think... excellent model all round to me, needs sound fitting though i think

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

How easy is it to get the body off the Janus and remove the glazing?

I’ve also got one of the horrible BP liveried ones which I bought at a bargain price thinking  I might want to use the chassis for a 0-16.5 narrow gauge loco.  I’ve also got plenty of BR blue paint.  I could be tempted to try repainting it if I can dismantle it easily.

Getting the body off is easy , i left the glazing in and maskoled it up the windows because i didnt fancy fully dismantaling the body. I think the cab is a different moulding to the bonnets and i didnt fancy probing further so thought masking the windows would be easiest, i couldnt see how the cab/glazing would come away easily as a section. Other ppl may have better info. Still worth investigating for a repaint

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2019 at 23:07, jessy1692 said:

Do it! If/when i get another mines going blue, be good to see how it looks if you do one before me

To avoid hijacking this topic, I’ve started a new one ‘What number should my Janus have?’  Encouraged by this topic I have painted my Janus BR blue.

• Like 1