Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

I'm guessing that label is 1970's - and also that it's a summer extension (to Weymouth) of a Poole service?

I know many of the 'via Cudworth' services operated from the old Leeds City North (Wellington) station, but that closed in 1967, not to say that trains weren't still routed that way though.

Afternoon all, bobbed into work this morning and found the work i had planned on doing hadnt arrived so had chance to sort the Manchester Liner transfers. I messed up the 1st couple of sheets as i forgot to change the paper settings and the black ran a little. Bonus though as i have some spares to test out!

20200222_114253.jpg.63b2503c7f939f34cbf036fc7bcb9693.jpg

So, to the work bench and my 30ft container thats is to be an ML one. I cut out the container side after i had sprayed the sheet with varnish to try stop the colours chipping when cutting. Probably should have used a sharp new knife but as its a test i wasnt too fussed. Application went well, however i feel the colour looks a little washed out probably due to being applied to the grey painted background. I did the same with an OCL one and decided i think it may be best to paint the sides white before putting the transfers on.20200222_145434.jpg.0e99495241a24cd8544c29ce212964e3.jpg

Iv just painted the other sides white so will do another check test tomorrow but i think i know it will be better.

More soon

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

27 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Afternoon all, bobbed into work this morning and found the work i had planned on doing hadnt arrived so had chance to sort the Manchester Liner transfers. I messed up the 1st couple of sheets as i forgot to change the paper settings and the black ran a little. Bonus though as i have some spares to test out!

20200222_114253.jpg.63b2503c7f939f34cbf036fc7bcb9693.jpg

So, to the work bench and my 30ft container thats is to be an ML one. I cut out the container side after i had sprayed the sheet with varnish to try stop the colours chipping when cutting. Probably should have used a sharp new knife but as its a test i wasnt too fussed. Application went well, however i feel the colour looks a little washed out probably due to being applied to the grey painted background. I did the same with an OCL one and decided i think it may be best to paint the sides white before putting the transfers on.20200222_145434.jpg.0e99495241a24cd8544c29ce212964e3.jpg

Iv just painted the other sides white so will do another check test tomorrow but i think i know it will be better.

More soon

James

Hi James,

What white are you using for the doors of the OCL container ?

I think you said Humbrol 70 for the Manchester Liners boxes with Humbrol 40 for the framing and roofs.

Gibbo.

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

What white are you using for the doors of the OCL container ?

I think you said Humbrol 70 for the Manchester Liners boxes with Humbrol 40 for the framing and roofs.

Gibbo.

Hi Hibbo the white is just humbrol gloss white, i forget the number. Humbrol 40 is the grey framing and its humbrol 60 for the red off top of my head. 

Having a night in tonight enjoying the peace but will be back the bench tomorrow.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Evening all, spent most of the afternoon cracking on trying to pull together a lot of my loose ends.

The ML and OCl containers are still pending as the white has now had 2 coats but probably needs at least one more, as its enamel gloss i can only get one coat on a day annoyingly. Spray paint is being aquired this week to speed things up.

I finished off the 2 new blue stripe containers, i didnt paint the stripe blue and applied the transfer direct to the rail grey which has made the white writing brighter (bottom two). This goes to prove painting the panels white for the OCL &ML transfers iv done will help bring out the colour hopefully.

20200223_182007.jpg.6af4bfbee1215d64dfdf18c164ccd25e.jpg

20200222_145518.jpg.de0b0734270f5e977687f18af19ec017.jpg

I have finally lettered up my 2 fgas and 3 ffas with fox transfers so these are now nearly done baring weathering and mounting the bogies and new wheels.

Annoyingly i noticed today that the SKits kit i used didnt/doesnt have all the twist locks for the sides of the flats, thus each flat is 4 short (second set of twist locks from each end) im pretty sure the instructions didnt show these. Ill leave it for now but its likely to bug me now i know they should be there i think.

20200223_182101.jpg.70472e670d405ec62e8a6c578291d7be.jpg

Finally i had a go re creating the old triang Hornby scotch beef container, think it looks pretty smart!

20200223_182046.jpg.0ed17f560482c328a8dc8fe889108664.jpg

Thats about it for today, got ironing to do now! This week should see some more Hornby blank boxes purchased to chop about and get painted up ready for transfers. 

The end of the container saga is in sight! It has been one of them projects where the more you look, the more you find and want to model... 

Ill be glad to get these on the rails and onto something new, they have become a slight obsession! Fingers squarely pointed @Gibbo675 hahaa!

All the best

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2020 at 07:18, leopardml2341 said:

I'm guessing that label is 1970's - and also that it's a summer extension (to Weymouth) of a Poole service?

I know many of the 'via Cudworth' services operated from the old Leeds City North (Wellington) station, but that closed in 1967, not to say that trains weren't still routed that way though.

Evening Leopard, forgot to say had a chat with Dad about the sign and he cant remember exactly where it came from but most likely Leeds and probably from around 72, thought hed know exactly the train but gey ho

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening all, spent most of the afternoon cracking on trying to pull together a lot of my loose ends.

The ML and OCl containers are still pending as the white has now had 2 coats but probably needs at least one more, as its enamel gloss i can only get one coat on a day annoyingly. Spray paint is being aquired this week to speed things up.

I finished off the 2 new blue stripe containers, i didnt paint the stripe blue and applied the transfer direct to the rail grey which has made the white writing brighter (bottom two). This goes to prove painting the panels white for the OCL &ML transfers iv done will help bring out the colour hopefully.

20200223_182007.jpg.6af4bfbee1215d64dfdf18c164ccd25e.jpg

20200222_145518.jpg.de0b0734270f5e977687f18af19ec017.jpg

I have finally lettered up my 2 fgas and 3 ffas with fox transfers so these are now nearly done baring weathering and mounting the bogies and new wheels.

Annoyingly i noticed today that the SKits kit i used didnt/doesnt have all the twist locks for the sides of the flats, thus each flat is 4 short (second set of twist locks from each end) im pretty sure the instructions didnt show these. Ill leave it for now but its likely to bug me now i know they should be there i think.

20200223_182101.jpg.70472e670d405ec62e8a6c578291d7be.jpg

Finally i had a go re creating the old triang Hornby scotch beef container, think it looks pretty smart!

20200223_182046.jpg.0ed17f560482c328a8dc8fe889108664.jpg

Thats about it for today, got ironing to do now! This week should see some more Hornby blank boxes purchased to chop about and get painted up ready for transfers. 

The end of the container saga is in sight! It has been one of them projects where the more you look, the more you find and want to model... 

Ill be glad to get these on the rails and onto something new, they have become a slight obsession! Fingers squarely pointed @Gibbo675 hahaa!

All the best

James

Hi James,

With regard twist-locks  the set 10' in from the ends was dropped in later batches of wagons as 10' boxes were not widely used latterly and the combination of 20', 30' and 40' boxes didn't require them.

All else looks good !

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

With regard twist-locks  the set 10' in from the ends was dropped in later batches of wagons as 10' boxes were not widely used latterly and the combination of 20', 30' and 40' boxes didn't require them.

All else looks good !

Gibbo.

Cheers Gibbo, thought that may be reason with the demise of 10ft boxes, slightly annoyed at myself for only noticing now!

Cheers

James

• 4 weeks later...

Wow nearly a month without a decent update! Well theres not much to update, things have slowed to a crawl. Time for modelling seems to have vanished recently what with one thing or another, i have done some bits and pieces. Honest! 

With this virus hitting home now, the other half has decamped to her mothers because im still at work and she could be at risk with her arthritis meds so this has left me home alone.. lovely! Lots more modelling time i thought, however, all my stuff is at my Dads up the road and with this social distancing i didnt think it right to risk anything, even though he probably comes into more contact with people than i do!

Anyway i have a box full of bits and pieces i can do at my house so heres to the start of hopefully productive spell of modelling.

20200323_203115.jpg.71e4d6428fc6b7086c4e1a7bd8cc17b7.jpg

On the go tonight are my cut down 20ft containers, sanding and filing the last bits of filler before priming, the doors are made from miliput pressed into a mould of of 'blue stuff' cast from original triang doors. 3 of these will be Manchester Liners, 2 OCL's and the last will be a Sainsburys Beef. 

My 30ft 10ft ones are here ready to transfer up and if i get really bored iv got a cambrian Walrus, Turbot and Dogfish to build.

Hope everyone is ok in these worrying times, im so glad i have this hobby to escape for a few hours.

Cheers

James

• Like 3

Hi James,

Looks like I shall be at home tomorrow and that the weather will be fine so I shall be able to paint my Ford Boxes and that will be it with containers for now !

I may have overdone it with containers, I shall have to get on with my class 82 soon enough instead.

Gibbo.

54 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Looks like I shall be at home tomorrow and that the weather will be fine so I shall be able to paint my Ford Boxes and that will be it with containers for now !

I may have overdone it with containers, I shall have to get on with my class 82 soon enough instead.

Gibbo.

Evening Gibbo, the weather is perfect for painting, alas i didnt get to the shop for primer at lunch and i doubt ill get any for a while, iv ordered some online so theres still hope to get these damned boxes finished! I think iv got enough but still got 5 mint Hornby 30ft ones off ebay at the weekend... just glad i have some wagon kits with me as well!

Be good to see your 82 come om again.

Cheers

James

Evening all, little update on things in the temporary bench. Last 6 containers ready for primer that will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Iv added all the missing borders from where the 30ft ones were chopped down à la Gibbo. Also added little rectangles and carefully drilled out to represent the twist lock things at the corners.

20200326_220644.jpg.0680d9fb264a026c48dfe3dca78354e1.jpg

The 3 that will be Manchester Liner ones have had the forklift holes very carefully cut out 5mm from the centre line as per the prototype, should add for a nice bit of variety.

20200326_220620.jpg.d252c2399bd0971f83b5058b1861d98e.jpg

Also in the works this week is an ancient cambrian Dogfish, the plastic had gone very brittle but its come out ok.

20200326_220705.jpg.af4adeb6a6f598d85a53bbd051854d90.jpg

Tonights fun has been a Cambrian Walrus, as you can spot bits in the pics, heavy going but coming on well.

Some how im still needed in my office as part of the skeleton crew doing not a lot so have had some success on ebay this week and have 2 Cambrian Sturgeons on the way to build that cost just over 20 quid with postage, looks like a good deal and will keep me out of bother and my mind off the real world!

Hope everyone reading is well and modelling is providing a good distraction. Hopefully my work will see sense soon n shut our office as its weighing heavy on my mind being there in the day.

Take care

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon4470 said:

James

Nice to see the detail and variation on the containers. Hope your primer turn up tomorrow.

Keep up the good work!

Jon

Thanks Jon, them boxes despatetely need a coat of primer now, looking quite tatty!

Cheers for looking in, ill try get down the railway for some snaps this weekend for you.

All the best 

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

20200329_224415.jpg.9b13bcec1a82f6e91e10ed9e53f6591a.jpgEvening all, quite a productive day today, finally finishing off some of the remaining containers. 40ft OCL and a 30ft one completed, and a 30ft Manchester Liner. A 30ft Freightliner box also finished apart from changing the L to a D.

20200329_224346.jpg.e7e0e6f61adab4160b4e4e6348ad2860.jpg

20200329_224434.jpg.6b8b93688ab7fec899a7ad1c3a2aada7.jpg

20200329_224420.jpg.073204561be8fcfe54cc595bbeab6b11.jpg

The 20ft boxes are coming on, all in white primer with a 1st coat of the grey borders. The transfers really benefit for having a white background to bring the red out and keeping the white white.

The Walrus is now also in primer and one of the Sturgeons has been started. Going to have to ask for a supplies drop from Dads this week, need more paints and bigger double arrows for my 10ft box.

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

32 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening all, quite a productive day today, finally finishing off some of the remaining containers. 40ft OCL and a 30ft one completed, and a 30ft Manchester Liner. A 30ft Freightliner box also finished apart from changing the L to a D.

20200329_224434.jpg.6b8b93688ab7fec899a7ad1c3a2aada7.jpg

The 20ft boxes are coming on, all in white primer with a 1st coat of the grey borders. The transfers really benefit for having a white background to bring the red out and keeping the white white.

The Walrus is now also in primer and one of the Sturgeons has been started. Going to have to ask for a supplies drop from Dads this week, need more paints and bigger double arrows for my 10ft box.

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Is the 40' box in the third photo left in the edit a Knightwing box ?

Gibbo.

5 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Is the 40' box in the third photo left in the edit a Knightwing box ?

Gibbo.

Evening Gibbo, i think it is, it was picked up from last years Wakefiled show in bits in a bag, no instructions are anything, it had some weird mouldings on the roof that looked like they were intended for others to stack on top, easily filed away.

Evening all, bit of a milestone tonight, iv very nearly come to the end of the container projects, finally! 

Three ML and 2 OCL 20fters just about finished tonight, last one is a Sainsburys beef 20ft that has had the last coat of grey applied and should be ready to transfer tomorrow, once thats done all will get a nice coat of satin varnish.

20200401_232515.jpg.d2ba4882963ffe1da7e0df413eacf33c.jpg

Iv ordered a big batch of wheels which should arrive tomorrow which means i / dad can wheel up the flats. Still got a couple of flats spare so may end up doing a twin set as iv now got far too many containers...

Next up will be adding transfers to BP tanktainers thanks to Darius swapping me his artwork for them.

Nearly there, and onto something not too box shaped!

Cheers

James

• Like 4

16 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening all, bit of a milestone tonight, iv very nearly come to the end of the container projects, finally!

Nearly there, and onto something not too box shaped!

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I know that feeling, not sure I've recovered yet as I've hardly been near the modelling bench for two weeks.

I have some Pullmans to line out but I'm not in the right frame of mind for that fiddly job yet.

Gibbo.

34 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I know that feeling, not sure I've recovered yet as I've hardly been near the modelling bench for two weeks.

I have some Pullmans to line out but I'm not in the right frame of mind for that fiddly job yet.

Gibbo.

Afternoon Gibbo, can certainly say ill be glad to get the varnish on, wheels in and them trundling about, well i cant do tht at mo but at least they will be good to go when i can get back to the the layout. 

Just a couple to go and the tanktainers so should be finished over the weekend all being well, final push.

I think ill revert back to my big blue diesels for a while, couple of deltics awaiting shawplan bits, be a nice change. 

I feel for you with all that fine lining, deffo a job to be in the right mind for... good luck!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all, this weekend i managed to get all the boxes at my house finished and varnished and safely left in my Dads front garden for him to store/run on the flats.

Hes just emailed me with some pics as hes clearly playing trains today, just to rub it in that i cant at the mo!

The rake of 5 flats now have been wheeled and bogies mounted, my Dads proto 4 set has also been wheeled. (I got 50 liliput wheelsets from Peters Spares last week)

A few pics from the layout, final few things to do- varnish the containers still needing it, probably 15 or so and finish the BP tanktainers which i now have at my house for this weeks entertainment on an evening.

P1160975.JPG.077b1b998107a2843219bb575e52f8b1.JPGP1160972.JPG.9dd20d49736305d839ad532eb1d21bcf.JPGP1160970.JPG.0ca53246f1260efc1078259c53a735ea.JPGP1160964(1).JPG.ceae342eb47d74c160828f6f951b6aed.JPG

So close to the end of the boxes! Im pretty chuffed with how my homespun transfers came out, definately worth the effort.

A new project is on the way as i type, ferry van as per Darius and others on another thread, should be pretty straight forward....

Cheers

James

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

22 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Have I missed the '74'?

Not yet, the plan was to do it concurrently with the freightliner set but that sort of snowballed and pretty much became all consuming. As Gibbo says, its taken a long time to clear the section!

The 74 body is sat on a shelf at my Dads and will probably be there for a little while, im going to start doing some research on here for bits required and chassis options etc and start gathering materials. As to when i start it proper, who knows.

Im trying to clear the decks of all my half done projects and kits so currently on the go with a load of Cambrian stuff thats getting built painted and transferred and the final containers as i can easily do these from my house rather than the usual bench at my Dads.

Hopefully it wont be too far away.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1