Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

Hi James,

It's really good to see how you're tackling this build, I'm certainly impressed and looking forward to seeing the end product.

Good luck with it and thanks for the inspiration,

John E.

Thanks John, really enjoying this build so far, things will probably slow a bit now as its time for filling and sanding here and there but its certainly not a clayton any more

cheers for looking

James

This project is certainly not for the feint hearted!

I saw some pictures in one of the periodical magazines recently. This particular one dealt with the Deltic and Falcon etc. but there were a few of the DHP1 and I had never seen it before.

I will see if I can find the magazine concerned.

Thanks.

This project is certainly not for the feint hearted!

I saw some pictures in one of the periodical magazines recently. This particular one dealt with the Deltic and Falcon etc. but there were a few of the DHP1 and I had never seen it before.

I will see if I can find the magazine concerned.

Thanks.

Thanks Baz think i know which one it is is it the prototypes issue of modern motive power or something? if not id be interested to find it for a bit more info

cheers

james

Some excellent work here. I found the comparitive photos against a standard Clayton quite fascinating, and perhaps please you could do a few more when the project is complete.

John.

Thanks John, yeah its interesting to see them side by side looking forward to painting in the red and cream but thats a bit of a way off yet, ill definately get some more comparison shots up probably once the body is in primer and the chassis is cut be a good time to compare the 2.

Ta for looking in

James

That's the one James.

They concentrate on a different class every month or two, but that one focussed on all the prototypes and introduced me to this particular loco. Up until then, I'd never heard of it, let alone seen a picture.

Thanks.

Baz.

That's the one James.

They concentrate on a different class every month or two, but that one focussed on all the prototypes and introduced me to this particular loco. Up until then, I'd never heard of it, let alone seen a picture.

Thanks.

Baz.

Cheers Baz, yeah thats the one that really got me thinking its possible and it wasnt until the May issue of trains illustrated had an article towards the back of it of DHP1 and crucially a scale drawing that i could scan and blow up that it all kicked off.

Been plodding on tonight with a bit more body work and a LOT of filler, i roped my dad in to hack the Heljan chassis block and chop off a fly wheel, looks like it should be able to trundle under its own power eventually.... ill get a proper up date in a few days.

Thanks for the comments and likes, it really does help to keep me going.

All the best

James

Evening, so a bit more work has been done, main body building is about done so its just filling and smoothing for a while before the little bits are added, radiator details, lights, exhaust ports, hand/foot holes etc. So out came the filler the other night and the sandpaper tonight and i even got a bit of primer on to see how it looks.

post-5804-0-63455500-1433977483.jpg

post-5804-0-04754000-1433977486.jpg

post-5804-0-34451200-1433977488.jpg

The chassis has been cut down now ready for gluing back together and im very please to say it still fits on the body so should be a pretty easy job to get it moving eventually..

post-5804-0-34782000-1433977490.jpg

Also couldt resist sitting it on its bogies to see what it looks like against a Clayton, definate family resemblance but a long way from that Heljan body i bought last month!

post-5804-0-19156400-1433977492.jpg

post-5804-0-58395300-1433977494.jpg

post-5804-0-83046300-1433977496.jpg

post-5804-0-43206200-1433977503.jpg

post-5804-0-38813700-1433977505.jpg

post-5804-0-27489300-1433977501.jpg

Cheers for looking

James

post-5804-0-26153400-1433977499.jpg

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a "normal" Clayton after eating a few pies!

There's something about a first coat of primer that shows that the hard work has paid off. Looking very good. 

Cheers,

Mick

Looks like a "normal" Clayton after eating a few pies!

There's something about a first coat of primer that shows that the hard work has paid off. Looking very good.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers Mick, yeah i was a bit wary about doing 1st coat last night thinking it will show a multitude of niggles but all seems well, im very happy with it so far, still loads to do, must make a list before i forget! Thanks for looking in

James

Evening all, managed to get quite a bit of time on this in the last few days, most of it in cylcles of filling and sanding but its coming on steadily. Since the last update iv put in a boiler port on the roof where i think it should be, checking the general arrangement drawing i have i think it looks about right, also some kind of hatch was put on, it was formally a shawplan deltic water filler hatch also added the exhaust ports, it looks odd i know but looking at the general arrangment the exhausts from the 2 engines in each bonnet were fed into one silencer and then up through the pipe on the left (if looking from above) these were taken from a craftsman warship detailing etch and i think the do the job well.

post-5804-0-44109800-1434322238.jpg

Next was cutting out the hand and foot holes for the roof access and the foot steps, just a case of drilling and filing out, then last night another but of filler applied here and there. A job i had been scratching my head over for a while was how to bend some strip to produce the curved top to the bonnet louvres, a bit of trial and error took place but i found by cuting strips of plasticard and then dabbing a bit of liquid poly where the corners needed to start and then a bit of carefull bending into a right angle a decent result was produced, a bit time consuming but im vert pleased with the result. Also added was a couple of grills id saved from teh original Clayton bonnet as at some point they were added to DHP1 after it was built, they are only on one side and perhaps a tad too high but look ok (I only saved one set as when i first started the build i though they were only on one side but upon checking some other pics iv found they seem to be on both sides but in my haste filed away the other set.....lesson learned!)

post-5804-0-25069400-1434322235.jpg

post-5804-0-68588000-1434322232.jpg

Tonight another coat of primer went on all is looking well, iv had to replace a bit of the rad grill frame as it got distorted with the glue and a couple more bits sanded here and there, final job was to get the lights on, there still a bit scrappy from where i cut them off but once they have dried on ill trim them up. Lamp brackets were made up from bronze strip and the final job for tonight was to fit the original bonnet end handrails id saved.

post-5804-0-93633900-1434322229.jpg

Finalls the chassis is now back in one piece, superglued into place on a plasticard brace and then some loveley araldite added for extra strength.

post-5804-0-32427900-1434322242.jpg

post-5804-0-64178600-1434322245.jpg

Think its time to start seriously thinking about paint shades now, me Dads off for a look tomorrow, but in the meantime only a couple of bits left on the body, cab door handrails and smooth off some features on the bufferbeam and i think its just about there. Then its onto the chassis to and to mess about with the bogies, any know if you can buy Hornby class 50 brake actuators as a separate part?

Cheers for looking

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3

Evening all, little bit of progress in the last week, time has been a bit tight so not too much to show.

Main development is my Dad very kindly one day when i was at work re united the chassis with motor and bogies and we were very pleased to see it ran pretty well first time.The chassis is now just running on one powered bogie as the shortening required a flywheel to be lopped off so one bogie has its final drive cogs taken out just to roll. It wont pull as much as it once did but will manage a pretty lengthy goods train, always a bonus as i would have been happy if just pulled itself around. Its still on the original motor so is a bit lumpy and loud but itl do for me!

post-5804-0-78294700-1435013829.jpg

The body was finished off over a couple of evenings, one of them spent solely on bending the handrails for the cab doors, i just couldnt get 2 to match.... the nose end hand rails are the original hand rails and were a doddle to put back.

Finally iv started hacking the tanks up to represent DHP1 a bit more, Iv used the existing tanks and underfloor gubbins as much as i could basically shortning/ or extending them to match the plans, luckily they appear to be the same on both sides so its faily easy the oval inspection covers are blue because iv carved them off a very very old kit master 08 bought for 50p for my dad to make into a snow plough one day, its amazing how many bits of other engines can come in handy!

This weeks job wil be to get the chassis and the body to fit snug, theres a bit filing needs to be done at the ends where the blue pullman grills have been put in. Brake actuators have been 'borrowed' from a couple of my Hornby 50's ill have to try and get some more now. To finish the bogies off i need to get some sand boxes i think iv found a decent match and an order has been placed with mainly trains so ill see how they look when they get here. The bogies under DHP1 arnt exactly the same as Clayton bogies but close enough once painted black i hope.

post-5804-0-76969400-1435013834.jpg

post-5804-0-29122000-1435013838.jpg

post-5804-0-22877600-1435013842.jpg

Painting has started, cream on first and then mask off where the red needs to be under the windows, the red was a bit of a pain to find a colour match and after a couple of false starts i found a very old tin of precsion GWR China Red a test on some paper looks like it will be spot on. Its had 1 very light coat so far and i think itl be about right, the cream had a second coat tonight so a couple more needed i think but is getting there.

post-5804-0-80795300-1435013844.jpg

Anyway thats about it for now, if any one knows where you can buy Hornby brake actuators for class 50's id be very interested

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3

...., if any one knows where you can buy Hornby brake actuators for class 50's id be very interested

I'm not sure that you can.

If you can find spare Class 50 bogies, that may be your only way of removing the bits you need.

Anyway thats about it for now, if any one knows where you can buy Hornby brake actuators for class 50's id be very interested

Have you had a look at Peter's spares advert at the top of this page, on my puter.

OzzyO.

Have you had a look at Peter's spares advert at the top of this page, on my puter.

OzzyO.

Cheers guys, Ozzy im on my phone at the mo so ill check on me laptop later? i know his ebay shop hasnt hot em at mo, just full bogies....

cheers

James

Evening all, not too much progress, most of last weekend was taken up with various things revolving around beer, had a great trip to Leeds for a stag do on Saturday, so many good bars for a casual day time session! This week has been a bit warm to do any thing indoors was much better outside and enjoy the scenery up at Brimham Rocks, (the white blobs on the horizon are thh golf balls at RAF Menwith Hill)

post-5804-0-33285700-1435878078.jpg

Anyway progress since the last update is that 8 sandboxes were filed and sanded out of some thick plasticard, a pretty dull and tricky job but worth while. These were then stuck on the bogie side frames and i managed to salvage the original sand pipes so seem to look ok. A coat of black was applied before i set off to Leeds on Saturday morning. Tuesday night i re assembled the chassis side frames to the bogies to have a see about the tanks and encounteres a bit of a problem....

post-5804-0-14095700-1435878039.jpg

post-5804-0-66319700-1435878062.jpg

I thought it had all been going a bit too well and now i realised id made a bit of an error in chopping the chassis block down, Id measured & cust the chassis after i dismantled it so just cut 9mm out the middle to get the length and shape right but forgot to take into account the bogie pivots. I sat the chassis on the plans and it looked like the one of the bogies was 5mm too far in thus making it impossible to mount the tanks. A few choice words were uttered and i went off in a sulk.

post-5804-0-84942200-1435878118.jpg

Plan A was to cut the chassis again and add 5 mm and cut the ends but this would have meant an awful lot of cutting and filing the chassis back to shape as well as the danger of bending the new and old joints, bit of a non starter.

Plan B as i thought of today at work is to open out the bogie pivot holes 2.5mm towards the front to move the bogies forward, much thinking later and it seemed this was the best option if a bit hard going drilling through the mazak, this option meant i wouldnt have to cut the chassis again and crucuially the body will still sit true and clip to the chassis. I marke up the chassis and set my dad off drilling whilst i did another coat of red on the body.

post-5804-0-29965200-1435878154.jpg

By the end of the night we have drilled and filed out 1 end of the chassis and eraly trials look to be a success so we will proceed, the dog bone to the powered bogie may need extending but there seems to be just enough it to keep contact so hopefully i could have a proper working chassis by the end of the weekend.

post-5804-0-85828700-1435878138.jpg

Thats all for now, thanks for looking

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4

Right then so after a week the chassis block has been drilled and then A LOT of filing and a trip to Bury later I have managed to get it working once again. The bogie pivots are now 2.5 mm further out with the resulting gap being plugged by some cut down cotton bud tubes held in masking tape (quick fix for now).

post-5804-0-25605700-1436223286.jpg

Anyway all seems well and it is running pretty well once again. I have fitted the tanks i made earlier and added some plasticard to the sides to add some depth.

post-5804-0-25388400-1436223288.jpg

post-5804-0-17290000-1436223290.jpg

The body is progressing slowly, plenty of thin coats and tonight i took the masking tape off, its always a bit tense to see if its worked and thankfully there is only one tiny bit of red run through onto the cream. I couldnt resist a couple of laps with the body on.

post-5804-0-66568100-1436223292.jpg

post-5804-0-70736300-1436223294.jpg

Its coming together nicely, last bits of painting to do, cutting is round the windows and cab doorys and the yellow ends to finish, im off away with work to the NEC for the rest of the week but should have a good clear run over the weekend to hopefully get it some where near complete.

Cheers for looking

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4

Right then so after a week the chassis block has been drilled and then A LOT of filing and a trip to Bury later I have managed to get it working once again. The bogie pivots are now 2.5 mm further out with the resulting gap being plugged by some cut down cotton bud tubes held in masking tape (quick fix for now).

20150706_201927 (800x437).jpg

Anyway all seems well and it is running pretty well once again. I have fitted the tanks i made earlier and added some plasticard to the sides to add some depth.

20150706_225400 (800x417).jpg

20150706_225405 (800x434).jpg

The body is progressing slowly, plenty of thin coats and tonight i took the masking tape off, its always a bit tense to see if its worked and thankfully there is only one tiny bit of red run through onto the cream. I couldnt resist a couple of laps with the body on.

20150706_225458 (800x449).jpg

20150706_230600 (800x450).jpg

Its coming together nicely, last bits of painting to do, cutting is round the windows and cab doorys and the yellow ends to finish, im off away with work to the NEC for the rest of the week but should have a good clear run over the weekend to hopefully get it some where near complete.

Cheers for looking

James

That's looking great, nice bit of modelling. I only recently discovered the existence of this loco, on another forum (I'd missed this thread before) and here's someone building one

I think it's a very handsome loco and this shot captures the look very well

20150706_225458 (800x449).jpg

Edited by Talltim