Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

43 minutes ago, heavymetalwagons said:

Really like the sunglasses!! 

Haha, they are the better half's got, told to move the painty trucks away from them shortly after!

Edited by jessy1692
  • Funny 1

• 4 months later...

Well its been a busy few months since the last update but unfortunately I have managed very little proper modelling with the house move, decorating, football and other things getting in the way.

The Chemflos are running round they layout nicely, still needing their brake wheels though..

20210519_180129.jpg.ecd890dff03ae06000449df2d51d60d9.jpg

I have been buying up some bits and pieces as I have seen things come up on Ebay so have a fair few projects in mind to get cracking with now the nights are drawing in.

Today saw the start of detailing up a rake of 6 Hornby TEA wagons, I knocked up 2 pairs of the excellent Stenson Models ESC1 bogies whilst my Dad was fettling up the bogie pivot mounts and filling up the holes left after the removal of the Hornby roof walk. I have recently had delivered some new walk ways and ladders by SKITS so have enough bits to get 3 of the 6 done.

20210911_172636.jpg.65c1f3e0252c30297adeadd7b2e38f77.jpg

20210911_173034.jpg.73465d3bdc5eb80c276c912fc4efe61a.jpg

As well as the TEA'S I built up quite a collection of Cambriam kits over the summer too, so to help get back into the swing of things iv built up a couple of mermaids and catfish.

Lots more to come hopefully if time allows, sorry for rubbish pics I just snapped a couple as I was heading off for tea.

Cheers

James

• Like 7

Morning all, iv got a couple of days off work so was up at the desk yesterday for a few hours, the TEA wagons are coming on, just going through sanding and filling. Hopefully I'll get the roofwalks on soon then need to knock up some transfers.

Another project got a bit further yesterday, too. When I ordered the cemflo transfers I also got a sheet for the APCM box vans so I have been collecting bits and pieces up to make one. The body is a parkside vanwide body side extended and parkside palvan ends mounted on a plasticard floor. The sole bars are plastruct I beam left over from the cemflos and the axleboxes are filed down Hornby ferryvan units. Buffers are from Lanarkshire models and mighty fine they are too.

20210916_160948.jpg.1ab76ff5af58ba0cd64c2fa1aefc5e07.jpg

It all fell together pretty easily so only took a pic as I was leaving to go to the pub, I'll be adding an approximation of the brake gear and adding the body side strapping next time I'm up there. I think with all the bits and pieces bought and used on this wagon it may be the single most expensive wagon I have haha! 

Heading out to East Lancs diesel gala today, really looking forward to it.

Cheers

James

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Morning all, iv got a couple of days off work so was up at the desk yesterday for a few hours, the TEA wagons are coming on, just going through sanding and filling. Hopefully I'll get the roofwalks on soon then need to knock up some transfers.

Another project got a bit further yesterday, too. When I ordered the cemflo transfers I also got a sheet for the APCM box vans so I have been collecting bits and pieces up to make one. The body is a parkside vanwide body side extended and parkside palvan ends mounted on a plasticard floor. The sole bars are plastruct I beam left over from the cemflos and the axleboxes are filed down Hornby ferryvan units. Buffers are from Lanarkshire models and mighty fine they are too.

20210916_160948.jpg.1ab76ff5af58ba0cd64c2fa1aefc5e07.jpg

It all fell together pretty easily so only took a pic as I was leaving to go to the pub, I'll be adding an approximation of the brake gear and adding the body side strapping next time I'm up there. I think with all the bits and pieces bought and used on this wagon it may be the single most expensive wagon I have haha! 

Heading out to East Lancs diesel gala today, really looking forward to it.

Cheers

James

That's looking really good Jessy.
I'll be looking forward to seeing how this build goes.
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

An interesting build with the APCM van, quite a rarity in real life it seems, very nice work.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, yeah very much a rarity but I just have to have one for the cemflo's. Unfortunately my household apart from me have this horrible cold going round so I can't bob to the bench in case I pass it, frustrating but hey ho.

Loving you Hornby 24/25 production line, really impressive stuff going on.

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Cheers Martyn, yeah very much a rarity but I just have to have one for the cemflo's. Unfortunately my household apart from me have this horrible cold going round so I can't bob to the bench in case I pass it, frustrating but hey ho.

Loving you Hornby 24/25 production line, really impressive stuff going on.

All the best

James

Thanks James, yes a lot of colds doing the rounds at the moment, really not wanted with everything else going on over the last 18 months! Hope all recover quickly and you manage to escape it.

I have just under coated a 25 body, it has become a real mission trying to find accurate livery info for the 1971/72 period where most Scots allocated locos were either plain green with full yellow ends or blue with full yellow ends; so it looks like in order to do a green loco with white stripe and full yellow ends (to add variety) I may have to model a Midland allocated interloper; or just do it blue! But then, one of the remaining 2 locos is already earmarked for blue anyway!

But it's all part of the game as they say, and looking at books, sorry, "research" isn't such a hardship!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks James, yes a lot of colds doing the rounds at the moment, really not wanted with everything else going on over the last 18 months! Hope all recover quickly and you manage to escape it.

I have just under coated a 25 body, it has become a real mission trying to find accurate livery info for the 1971/72 period where most Scots allocated locos were either plain green with full yellow ends or blue with full yellow ends; so it looks like in order to do a green loco with white stripe and full yellow ends (to add variety) I may have to model a Midland allocated interloper; or just do it blue! But then, one of the remaining 2 locos is already earmarked for blue anyway!

But it's all part of the game as they say, and looking at books, sorry, "research" isn't such a hardship!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, looks like other half is on the mend, I was told to pick up a bottle of wine for her on the way home from work this evening amazing turn around from the deathbed she made out she was on this morning.... hopefully back at the bench next week for me.

All part of the game like they is the research, only thing is you can never have too much research material as that elusive pic may just be in the next book haha!

Looking forward to seeing them all progress, whatever your research chucks up.

I need to clear my summer hoarding backlog of wagon kits and projects and get back to the big blue engines again... just need more hours in the weeks!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to the bench this evening for a few hours after an enforced absence due to my household either getting the worst cold in the world and the child coming down with covid.. I didn't get either thankfully but I still stayed away from my Dads house. Work has also been very testing recently so iv been knackered on an evening, such is life!

Anyway, update on the APCM van which I'm very pleased with so far, I added some strapping from plasticard around the edges of the extension panels and then added some T section for the verticles and angled strips, the angled strip should really be L section but I'll live with it, the other angled strip by the door is just some flat strip. The ends of the T section will be champhered in once all is set.

After I got the strapping on, thoughts turned to representing the brake gear. The brake lever was the giggest headache as its a very funny shape and bends in and out at various places but I think it looks OK and once painted black will be fine. I used some V hangers from bits of parkside kits and made up the links from plastic and some bent up wire. It's probably not quite correct but it looks something like.

20211007_225951.jpg.a2da54b5f3d9c798bd22fef195da9cb8.jpg20211007_230002.jpg.56ec4734815f4112a0a6504104635b9c.jpg20211007_230010.jpg.ab30fd0fe04b8b27ae867960f0455c02.jpg

Finally, I have spliced two rooves together in preparation for trimming to size to fit the van, I also have some coupling hooks and vac bags to fit and I think it will be time for a coat of primer. I best get deciding on what colour I can find to look like the real things did.

That's all for now, hopefully I'll get a bit of time over the weekend to push this on and get on with the TEA roofwalks.

Cheers for looking in

James

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Latest smallish update from the bench, the APCM van is getting there now, roof cut down and glued on, will need some filler after an a light primer coat to show up any bits that need fettling, the roof joint in particular will need some filler.

The TEA project has moved on a bit, I have started on the SKITS roof walks, quite impressed with these and quite simple to assemble. Having said that the etched hand rail which is part of the end tread plate etch is VERY fine, I managed to break one off with very little effort so I think I'll make some more robust handrails myself. Pic below showing the upgrade from the Hornby moulding, well worth the effort.

20211012_231750.jpg.7e72e1c761420884a253316579782c95.jpg

Should have a free ish weekend coming up so hoping to get a few projects closer to finish so I can get going with a couple of things that iv been meaning to start for a while, 47 901 or possibly my PoP train kit.

Cheers

James

• Like 10

• jessy1692 changed the title to Jessy1692's bits & pieces- DHP1 & whatever else appears on my workbench- APCM PVV van + Hornby TEA fettling

Iv managed to move a fair few things down the production line since the last update, I had a fair bit of time spent over the weekend trying to get the desk cleared a bit to get going with new stuff.

20211020_225928.jpg.1768bc241817c1aa6f10b1ab61b2726b.jpg

The grey PWA that has been hanging around for a while finally got its bogies made up and fitted. I had a bit of a transfer session Sunday afternoon so got the numbers and trussing lettering done, only bits left to do is find the missing buffer head and add the yellow axle box covers then itl be a couple of washes over the underframe and bogies and it's ready for varnish. The curtain sides are having similar yellow axle box treatment.

20211020_230048.jpg.70e2014bd893cb9986dcd1749701622f.jpg

20211020_230045.jpg.afa393dd5ac0660af25d05c6674ce2a6.jpg

The Cambrian mermaids and catfish were lettered up on Sunday as well, these have been dirtied up and just need couplings and they are ready to join the engineers fleet, I do like the gulf red I mixed up and have a shark kit in a box that will end up red once I build it.

20211020_230008.jpg.a93961d447859017de45cc18be5edb45.jpg

The PVV is coming on, first coat of grey has gone on the body this evening, this is railmatch later Freight grey I think, looks close enough to me and should darken up with a bit of weathering. Very much looking forward to getting the transfers on and this van at the head of my cemflos.

20211020_225949.jpg.24f4c2a8f607b60b33ce348a7d31d838.jpg

20211020_225941.jpg.5874b8344de58b5a4a2dfbc8d7010ba7.jpg

Finally, the TEA tanks are coming on, 3 are now just about ready for another coat of primer now the new roof walks and bogies are fitted. 3 more are still on the go, need to order some more bogies and maybe another roof walk etch or two. I'll be making my own transfers up for these, just need to bribe the other half to get her to put her photoshop skills to use again.

That's about it for now, iv been gathering info on 47 901, very much looking forward to getting going on locos again after a good 18 months mainly pratting about with wagons! Hopefully I may be chucking a 009 narrow gauge project into the mix soon too.

Thanks for looking in

James

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Iv managed to move a fair few things down the production line since the last update, I had a fair bit of time spent over the weekend trying to get the desk cleared a bit to get going with new stuff.

20211020_225928.jpg.1768bc241817c1aa6f10b1ab61b2726b.jpg

The grey PWA that has been hanging around for a while finally got its bogies made up and fitted. I had a bit of a transfer session Sunday afternoon so got the numbers and trussing lettering done, only bits left to do is find the missing buffer head and add the yellow axle box covers then itl be a couple of washes over the underframe and bogies and it's ready for varnish. The curtain sides are having similar yellow axle box treatment.

20211020_230048.jpg.70e2014bd893cb9986dcd1749701622f.jpg

20211020_230045.jpg.afa393dd5ac0660af25d05c6674ce2a6.jpg

The Cambrian mermaids and catfish were lettered up on Sunday as well, these have been dirtied up and just need couplings and they are ready to join the engineers fleet, I do like the gulf red I mixed up and have a shark kit in a box that will end up red once I build it.

20211020_230008.jpg.a93961d447859017de45cc18be5edb45.jpg

The PVV is coming on, first coat of grey has gone on the body this evening, this is railmatch later Freight grey I think, looks close enough to me and should darken up with a bit of weathering. Very much looking forward to getting the transfers on and this van at the head of my cemflos.

20211020_225949.jpg.24f4c2a8f607b60b33ce348a7d31d838.jpg

20211020_225941.jpg.5874b8344de58b5a4a2dfbc8d7010ba7.jpg

Finally, the TEA tanks are coming on, 3 are now just about ready for another coat of primer now the new roof walks and bogies are fitted. 3 more are still on the go, need to order some more bogies and maybe another roof walk etch or two. I'll be making my own transfers up for these, just need to bribe the other half to get her to put her photoshop skills to use again.

That's about it for now, iv been gathering info on 47 901, very much looking forward to getting going on locos again after a good 18 months mainly pratting about with wagons! Hopefully I may be chucking a 009 narrow gauge project into the mix soon too.

Thanks for looking in

James

Nice line up of classic British aeroplanes.
Jav., Lightening and Gnat.
Those tankers are the business.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Chris, and it's always interesting to see your "yard" area.

I asssume the Javelin and Lightning colour schemes are "what if's", although the Javelin at Duxford had (and maybe still has) a red and white scheme I think from RAE trials.

Also interesting is the prototype Deltic, kept by BR and put into Railblue, as with other locos uniformly treated so demolishing the aesthetics of the original livery!

The weathering on your wagons is very convincing indeed.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Nice line up of classic British aeroplanes.
Jav., Lightening and Gnat.
Those tankers are the business.
Regards,
Chris.

Thanks Chris, the 'field of planes' came about only due to lack of space, I have the V force and an xb70 hanging above the layout too, the xb70 Valkyr is a monster even in 1/76!

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Agree with Chris, and it's always interesting to see your "yard" area.

I asssume the Javelin and Lightning colour schemes are "what if's", although the Javelin at Duxford had (and maybe still has) a red and white scheme I think from RAE trials.

Also interesting is the prototype Deltic, kept by BR and put into Railblue, as with other locos uniformly treated so demolishing the aesthetics of the original livery!

The weathering on your wagons is very convincing indeed.

John.

Cheers John, the Javelin should be red and white but I accidentally sprayed it silver! Picked up the wrong can... it was a Polish kit I got cheap off ebay so I'm not too worried it's wrong. The lightning is a revell kit in desert sand livery painted to the instructions (I think!), however, the varnish has turned very yellow from being on a windowsill for a decade so it looks a bit off now.

The Deltic is one of my Dads latest creations, I have to say I didn't think it'd look right but it does suit BR blue, I think I'd have ground off the whiskers though!

Thanks for the compliments on the weathering, it's just a mix of humbrol tan and matt black daubed on and removed with a cotton bud, dead easy!

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

The weathering looks very effective on those wagons.

Jon

Cheers Jon, feels good to be clearing the myriad of wagons off the bench and get them into service. Hopefully Barber will be along soon to fill the next production slots!

Your D20 does look very good, always liked the elegant style of them.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

there is something so wrong, but also so right about the prototype in blue with the yellow ends. (this from the man who paints all his DMUs in blue, even the ones that were never in that colours).

PS, when did you acquire the s-kits bits? I need to do something along the lines you have with some Hornby tankers also.

5 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

there is something so wrong, but also so right about the prototype in blue with the yellow ends. (this from the man who paints all his DMUs in blue, even the ones that were never in that colours).

PS, when did you acquire the s-kits bits? I need to do something along the lines you have with some Hornby tankers also.

You can't go wrong with rail blue, iv even managed to get the 'feature' wall in the front room at our new house very close to rail blue...

The S Kits bits arrived a couple of months back now I think, I do recall we sent a cheque off and waited for a couple of weeks until the bits appeared. I have the current product/price list somewhere if you'd like me to scan it in Cheesy?

Cheers

James

33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

Have you some photos of the Super Deltic hiding behind the TEAs in the post of the 13/10/21?

Evening Clive, it's one of the 1st models I really hacked about a few years back now, it's a lima 50 with Lima Deltic roof added in with some extra grills from a Lima Western planted on a Lima Deltic chassis. All made up as I went along but based on an outline drawing of the Class 50 style super deltic

blogentry-5804-0-24169000-1314916256.jpg.add7c391e52c0860a15a4cfc5608882c.jpgblogentry-5804-0-73527300-1369179193.jpg.232bf5f52151eac5ef989f983d8b80fc.jpg

It's just recently had a railroad 59 power bogie fitted In place of the Lima pancake, infact the side frames are actually white metal cast 37 ones from Dave Alexander I believe with A1 models Class 50 cab steps.

I'll try grab some more pics next time I'm up at the bench, it's still sitting on the fuelling road penned in by TEA tanks.

Cheers

James

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

If you get chance, the price list and contact details for s-kits would be a yes please.

Nice super deltic. Has anyone done the proposed super western? IIRC it was two hymec engines in a longer western body.

No probs, it may not be until next week as iv a wedding tomorrow so I'm thinking Sunday will be a wright off.

A super western you say! Now there is a future project, iv got 3 super hymeks so will deffo have to do a super western now.

1242403651_post-5804-0817481001289259623.jpg.62cfd8121c449988d02eced85553a3d3.jpg

Here's the blue super hymek, iv also got a green and maroon one somewhere. One day Ill enquire about a sound chip with double MD870 sounds on, lots of room for speakers.

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1