Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

Just for a laugh, I challenge you to fit a speaker in it and play ice cream van tinkles when you run the thing.

LOL

Ha, sounds like a plan! ill put a driver in with a white jacket and hat for you as well

Right then after a good weekend of painting the 'ice cream van' has progressed. Painting is pretty much done, i have weathered the body & chasis lightly to try represent what i think it would have looked like if it lasted a bit longer. Iv left it tonight with a coat of gloss varnish drying off so i can get the warning flashed & DHP1 & headcode numbers in this week, The DHP1 transfers were a test to see if my idea of chopping up letters from a fox transfers sheet was do able and it looks to be ok, they are cream instead of white but io think it will be ok the test was just on a wagon i had lying around.

post-5804-0-55760200-1436741855.jpg

post-5804-0-65600600-1436741858.jpg

post-5804-0-79078900-1436741861.jpg

post-5804-0-15946600-1436741875.jpg

I am very pleased t say since the bogie pivot surgery the chassis seems to be running better than it was before, no slipping and fairly quiet, not bad considering its an early Heljan motor & only 1 powered bogie.

I have been studying the pics i have to try work out what the works plates say, general consensus between me & my dad is:

The Clayton Equipment Co Ltd

Hatton         Derby

And underneath that there seems to be  a Rolls Royce badge, now i did have an idea to get the black panels but iv no idea how to do the writing so im firing off a couple of emails to see about custom transfers or custom plates (rail tech & narrow planet) If any one else could reccomend a company of companies id be very grateful.

Heres a few pics comparig it to a Dave Alexander Clayton for comparison

post-5804-0-23119700-1436741864.jpg

post-5804-0-64360400-1436741866.jpg

post-5804-0-86232000-1436741868.jpg

post-5804-0-07822100-1436741871.jpg

post-5804-0-99784800-1436741872.jpg

Cheers for looking, fingers crossed next update will be it completed and just for Horsetan im painting up a special driver.

All the best

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 7

The Dave Alexander kit does show its age now, but an alternative is the Judith Edge kit.

Definately does, this was one i picked up off ebay a while back for about 20 quid when the Heljan ones first came out. The green one in previous pics is my build from about 10 years back now and is in dire need of a new paint job. I bought the blue one in the hope the power bogie would be a bit better than mine but its another of the Dave Alexander ones....

Dont know if i could tackle a Jusith Edge ones, im ok hacking plastic but brass might be a bit beyond me! One day maybe.....

The side by side pics certainly show who ate all the pies................

Nice work J.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, yeah it really is a bit of more beefy! Funny to see them side by side and how it was just a couple of months back!

All the best

James

Definately does, this was one i picked up off ebay a while back for about 20 quid when the Heljan ones first came out. The green one in previous pics is my build from about 10 years back now and is in dire need of a new paint job. I bought the blue one in the hope the power bogie would be a bit better than mine but its another of the Dave Alexander ones....

Dont know if i could tackle a Jusith Edge ones, im ok hacking plastic but brass might be a bit beyond me! One day maybe.....

The Judith Edge Clayton is nickel-silver.

Looks terriffic, a great piece of modelling.

I do wonder why the prototype had such a large cab? Perhaps to carry a team of fitters?

Thanks Colin, the cab had a compartment just off centre for a steam heat boiler, so that took up a bit of room. i have a general arangement plan which shows it but even with that it looks quite soacious in there, its even got a cooker ! must have got a bit warm in there though

Looking at the model and prototype, I have a question? The main radiators are at each end, so did the heat from the rads. exhaust through the small long grills along the bonnets? Iif this is the case the air must have been ducted, if not the inside of the bonnets would have became very hot.

Or did it depend on which way the loco was running, so at the front the air entered through the main front rad. and exited out of the sides and at the rear entered through the sides and exited through the main rad. at the rear.

Nice looking build.

OzzyO.   

Looking at the model and prototype, I have a question? The main radiators are at each end, so did the heat from the rads. exhaust through the small long grills along the bonnets? Iif this is the case the air must have been ducted, if not the inside of the bonnets would have became very hot.

Or did it depend on which way the loco was running, so at the front the air entered through the main front rad. and exited out of the sides and at the rear entered through the sides and exited through the main rad. at the rear.

Nice looking build.

OzzyO.

Thanks Ozzy, good question! im not too sure tbh, from the GA drawing i have im guessing it pulled air in through the front which then was exhausted through the side rads, im assuming this because there is an 'air cleaner' just infront of the rad behind the front slats. Also from what i have read the 4 engines kicked in a different speeds like the Fell so all 4 would only be running on full power, even then though there would be quite a bit of heat generated with 4 engines fired up in them bonnets, would be interesting to see any test data if it still exists which i doubt.

Right then things are about done for DHP1 now, i have asked the good people at Narrow Planet to etch me some plates so hopefully all being well they will be on the model in 4-6 weeks. Over the weekend i have put the transfers on and varnished it with Humbrol satin spray which gives a great finish i recommend any one to try it. The numbers on the side were made up from cutting various bits off D's & E's and the top of the P is a bit of  a 9 moved around, its the stuff to give you square eyes lining it all up. Iv had it running round this evening with a train and it is running almost silently, certainly etter than what it was running like when it was a Clayton. Its parked up on fuel shed at the mo,

post-5804-0-47185800-1437347259.jpg

post-5804-0-97825900-1437347376.jpg

post-5804-0-43610600-1437347397.jpg

and just for Horsetan theres a couple of pics of specially uniformed driver...

post-5804-0-20525700-1437347428.jpg

post-5804-0-58260800-1437347431.jpg

Anyway thats about it for now, ill post some pics of what im getting back on with thats been sidelined whilst i have been working on DHP1, hopefully next time you see it ill have the plates on

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Mick, really enjoyed doing it, im sure you understand the satisfaction of making something not a lot of peple have or know about.

(Now watch Heljan announce a rtr one....)

Ta for looking

James

This is terrific stuff! The ice cream driver is a great touch - the uniform reminds me of a cross between Italian and certain Latin American military fig.

Isn't he the bus driver from the Galaxy advert ?

Excellent read and final model James well done

• Like 1

Isn't he the bus driver from the Galaxy advert ?

Excellent read and final model James well done

Thanks guys, the driver is actually a german naval officer i had left over so hes been de mobbed onto ice cream duties

Really top class piece of modelling. Your layout looks pretty interesting as well - I think I can see GT3 hovering outside the shed.

John.

Thanks John well spotted its my golden arrow GT3 i did a long time ago ill post a couple of pics if you like?