Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jessy, a quick question about your decal process, are they printed on transparent decal paper or white? 

If transparent, are you applying things like the black info panel over a white base?

Many thanks

Edited by Corbs

1 hour ago, heavymetalwagons said:

I'm impressed with the transfers. Always liked those lima wagons

Thanks mate, i do feel the lazer sheets would have been better. Also dont write off publisher, my other half says its old fashioned but i have made finer artwork on publisher than her efforts on publisher! Dont tell her i said that though... a mix of both is good, photoshop for bigger stuff and publisher for smaller stuff seems to work and access to a full colour copier.

Cheers

James

6 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

With respect to the ink running you could try cutting the transfers first then spraying (making sure they do not blow away). This should help seal the edges from bleeding.

Ah good idea Mike, ill see how the re coated ones go and they run all try cutting and varnishing.

Top idea.

Cheers

James

4 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hello Jessy, a quick question about your decal process, are they printed on transparent decal paper or white? 

If transparent, are you applying things like the black info panel over a white base?

Many thanks

Evening Corbs, apologies for the late reply, i mainly use white backed decal lazer paper, helps keep the colours coming through. The containers are all on white backed paper as well as the UKF/Shellstar ones. I find its best to apply them to light or white background, it seems to help. The white backed stuff is very thin so base colours show through easily. I have used the clear backed stuff for a few things, latest one being the numbers on the freightliner caboose but the majority are all white backed.

Hope this helps, interesting to see your endeavours on decals this evening.

Cheers

James

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening all, just back from the bench to watch the footy. Iv spent this aft doing the PWA transfers, an extra coat of varnish did the trick and they went on much better. Thanks to all for their advice from the other evening. I really like the Shellstar liveried one as it brings something different to the usual UKF ones.

20201003_170109.jpg.aa1e546b3d6e169358a2c776f21dcdca.jpg

These will get some weathering to tone things down and when the lazer paper arrives ill work up some sole bar lettering and maybe re visit the TOPS panels.

The 48 is progressing nicely, finished off this afternoon masking up for full yellow ends and a quick coat of white before the yellow coats start.

20201003_170118.jpg.129dad8c379c05eb561286e1ce2d6d62.jpg

Cheers

James

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to urinate on your conflagration, but with regard to the UKF vans, only the doors were painted white, the framing behind was chocolate brown. Weathering could well kill it, but in the pristine condition of your excellent models, it sticks out like the proverbial.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MJI said:

What is the H&M controller previous page?

Evening MJI it is a ancient but trust H&M safety minor, its been powering models for as long as i can remember, currently the control for the shed area/dumping ground

20201006_224153.jpg.f61abaafbe2d6cbc7f0ac8a5b2a5c57c.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Sorry to urinate on your conflagration, but with regard to the UKF vans, only the doors were painted white, the framing behind was chocolate brown. Weathering could well kill it, but in the pristine condition of your excellent models, it sticks out like the proverbial.

Mike.

Evening Mike, dont worry they are far too clean for my liking too! Im just awaiting some laser paper to re do the sole bar lettering, tops panels and yellow owners oval plates then a nice coat of muck.Hopefully should be here soon so i can get these into traffic. 

As an aside, iv dug out some of my dads pics from Harrogate goods yard with the last train he saw before the demolition trains came. We think they were emptying the UKF warehouse due to amount of vans:

1560566024_20143harrogategoods19844.jpg.b951376d193f9b405528771bf2d93ffa.jpg1487871958_20143harrogategoods1984.jpg.3dc15b72a3b05624daf39f330841c435.jpg394332071_20143harrogategoods19846.jpg.ca9ce05e7aefda25b545539586a1d516.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wow, superb.

Around the mid 70's ish I presume. There seems to be a blue one in the consist which is pretty late for an old liveried one.

Any chance of a high res/blow up picture?

Mike.

Cheers Mike, well its early 80s actually so the blue one is most intriguing, i know the yard was taken up in August 1984 so i think these are taken just before that. Ill see if he has some higher res scans for you.

All the best

James 

Edited by jessy1692
Too early!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening MJI it is a ancient but trust H&M safety minor, its been powering models for as long as i can remember, currently the control for the shed area/dumping ground

20201006_224153.jpg.f61abaafbe2d6cbc7f0ac8a5b2a5c57c.jpg

Thought it was

I have one too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJI said:

I remember seeing 6 of the UKFs around Gloucester

I dont think iv ever seen any more pics of the UKF vans in Harrogate, apparently it was a big warehouse in Harrogate but 8 vans seems a lot.

1359725293_liftingharrogategoodsyardaugust8415.jpg.1e67ccd5bf6b637576d95e36ffd71491.jpgHeres a pic of the warehouse just before demolition. @Enterprisingwestern Mike, i was up at my Dads earlier and he says unfortunately these the the only files hes got, they were scanned from pics a fair few years back so not the highest of standards. Ill try get him to invest in a new scanner and to re digitise his pics, he keeps saying hes bored! 

• Thanks 1

Evening all, small update this evening. The latest VDA pair is ready for transfers which are on the way from Railtec as are a set for the 48. Cant reccomend them enough, ordered last night just before midnight and despatched this afternoon including the custom set for the 48, excellent service.

20201007_221555.jpg.1a518030075c18715864628d0f9234a5.jpg20201007_221601.jpg.018c5576975e2b79bd20358dcf7b0319.jpg

The 48 will eventually be 1704, the yellow ends are going through the seemingly endless coats, think it was the 3rd one tonight so nearly there. 

After a little glitch with my order i now have a parcel of goodies on the way from Lendons of Cardiff, again, great service from Rob there sorting my order.

Hopefully the post behaves itself ill have plenty to do in the next few days, got friday off and the other half is off to her mothers for the weekend so lots of modelling time coming up.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

When are you scratch / bash building one of these ?

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan/h53720a0c#h53721508

Gibbo.

Well Gibbo, i have thought about it and its on the radar. However, im currently thinking about the original curtain sided Shellstar blue ones. Need to do a bit of research and check out some curtain sided lorry trailers, think it might be doable to mash a Lima PWA and a lorry trailer together, possibly..

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Would the sides off the Hornby 'Cambells/Procor' van suit? They certainly used to be available as plain mouldings not so long ago. I think I've got the edition of Modern Railways from when these were first built.

Cheers Bernard, yeah i have had a thought about these too, iv been thinking to try find a lorry trailer as itl probably be pretty cheap and probably about long enough, just wondering about height though as the PWA sides are pretty deep. The soup vans could be a good option but will need splicing together- not a huge problem. All very embryonic at the mo in my head, im keeping an eye out for a cheap PWA appearing on ebay to kick this out of my head and onto the bench. Still plenty of other stuff to finish first!

All the best

James

11 hours ago, heavymetalwagons said:

You'd think someone would make a curtain side "sheet" and just cut out what you need. I did try folding 10 thou sheet to make creases wasn't that happy with the result. I to like the curtain sided shellstars

Yeah that would be useful but as ever there seems to no two curtain side patterns the same, the Hornby PVA van looks to have wider 'waves/ripples' than the shellstar ones so im looking at lorry trailers to see how they look, it wont be 100% accurate but hopefully a nice oddball wagon in the striking blue livery

• RMweb Gold

It's well down the bogie pallet van to do list at the moment, but I'd thought of laying tissue or very fine cloth soaked in some sort of sticky liquid over a solid side, similar to how some do van tarpaulins, and manipulating it into shape, then maybe making a mould. Of course 3D printing has totally changed since I started faffing with these vans, so that may well be the way to go nowadays.

Mike.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Thanks Mike, iv been doing some research this aft and come accross this topic:

Looks like tissue paper and PVA may be a way ahead. Almost feel a plan forming now...

Cheers

James

James I have built loads of these euro curtain siders, all using the tissue paper / PVA method in that topic. I think I did include some step by step photos on the build process.
The first short DB red one I built used Pritstik glue stick instead of PVA, but I found it was harder to work the creases out of the tissue paper. To make it look like the real waterproof vinyl curtain sider I found the trick is to use rattle can gloss paint on the tissue paper, built up in several layers so that it becomes quite thick, but always allowing plenty of time for it to dry between coats.

8A9B8256-3FC5-4991-BE69-49D33C6F3043.jpeg.a75094e069fcca3fa71195e1267ba3bb.jpegF0039384-E80C-4F6E-9123-DD553291CF6E.jpeg.ca0ae44238b3fb2acae76a2420461120.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3