Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Try gluing something to a Hornby original MGR chassis!

Trying to find a stockist of UV glue over here as all else seems to fail.

Mike.

Horrendous stuff is that old Hornby nylon plastic stuff

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Try gluing something to a Hornby original MGR chassis!

Trying to find a stockist of UV glue over here as all else seems to fail.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I secured the W irons of my MGR's by drilling small holes in the frames and the W iron pedestal and then used epoxy which keyed into the holes.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

I secured the W irons of my MGR's by drilling small holes in the frames and the W iron pedestal and then used epoxy which keyed into the holes.

Gibbo.

That's my theoretical modus operandi when I get the UV glue.

In order to get 14mm wheels and brass w irons in I mill out the underside of the chassis, I naively thought that the roughened surface might help!

Mike.

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's my theoretical modus operandi when I get the UV glue.

In order to get 14mm wheels and brass w irons in I mill out the underside of the chassis, I naively thought that the roughened surface might help!

Mike.

For mine i found Gorrilla glue worked pretty well but then found the 14mm wheels were dragging so used a burr in a deemed to create the extra headroom needed

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

For mine i found Gorrilla glue worked pretty well but then found the 14mm wheels were dragging so used a burr in a deemed to create the extra headroom needed

I worked that out early and filed the w iron base whilst it was still in the flat etch.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Well this year seems to be dragging already. I havnt been able to do much modelling due to lockdown so have just been building wagons as and when the mood takes me.

I finally sorted the mermaids this week so they have been weathered and dropped up at Dad's for a run on the layout. Iv still got 2 Dapol presflows and a Cambria Turbot to paint here then iv run out of projects.

I seem to have been able to knock the cigs on the head rather well through Jan so have treated myself to a sound chip and an EM2 with some of the money saved, I dropped it in at my Dad's yesterday for him to wire into the class 48 I made last year. Its from @Richard Croft Roads & Rails, great advice and very fast delivery. They also do an option to spread payment over 3 months which I think is very good as what normally stops me buying them is being tight thinking 100+ quid is a little too much to spend in one go. Now iv found this I can see a few more things getting sound. My class 13 may be next, in a couple of months.

Here's a pic of the 48 chassis with the chip and speaker hardwired in. I got sent a video earlier from the layout, and it really does sound good with the EM2 and Richards sound file. Roll on the day I can get back up there.

Screenshot_20210130-185737_Gallery.jpg.494301b1b22333f9552350243ed00480.jpg

Also, here's a snap of the 4 cambrian mermaids after transfers but before final weathering. I did 3 in a home mix of 'gulf red' I think it looks pretty good compared to pics on the net. These kits were an absolute pain to build but they have turned out OK and miraculously the chassis a square and run really well.

20210125_222432.jpg.f150e68cdf55f423996a9655916f82ea.jpg

Oh and the curtain side PWA vans are now on their bogies and on the layout.

P1200766.JPG.ba1dc28649160e346c3105df9db8ed81.JPG

I would say more soon, but it depends what I can tackle at home for the time being. Maybe some freightliner flats will appear soon.

Hope everyone is keeping safe, fingers crossed we can get back to some kind of normal this year. I am really missing pubs and diesel galas and exhibitions..

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I've been building containers again but not Tartan Arrow ones !

DSCF1391.JPG.55b15a87a0745cf5e6a7b93f3520002a.JPG

Two FGB's 1830's style.

Gibbo.

Funnily enough I think ill be getting back on the container band wagon again, I have a couple to make up a twin set. As you can probably tell I'm scraping the barrel of things I can do from the coffee table. If the non 1830's containers bump up the Gibbo production line I'll have a got at transfers for em.

I do like your oldy worldy stuff, definitely something different

17 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Funnily enough I think ill be getting back on the container band wagon again, I have a couple to make up a twin set. As you can probably tell I'm scraping the barrel of things I can do from the coffee table. If the non 1830's containers bump up the Gibbo production line I'll have a got at transfers for em.

I do like your oldy worldy stuff, definitely something different

Hi James,

I'm really enjoying the 1830's stuff, I think mainly because I'm learning as I go along. Rather than working from memory and looking the odd detail up, there is a need to actually go and find out and read some books and look at loads of pictures where I can find them. I've also made some mistakes but nothing drastic just some minor details that I'm not overly concerned with.

I have now got some I section to rebuild the Cemflo's frames with. These may be done first as I really do have to be in the right sort of mood to attach lots and lots of plasticard strips to container boxes in very neat rows !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I'm really enjoying the 1830's stuff, I think mainly because I'm learning as I go along. Rather than working from memory and looking the odd detail up, there is a need to actually go and find out and read some books and look at loads of pictures where I can find them. I've also made some mistakes but nothing drastic just some minor details that I'm not overly concerned with.

I have now got some I section to rebuild the Cemflo's frames with. These may be done first as I really do have to be in the right sort of mood to attach lots and lots of plasticard strips to container boxes in very neat rows !

Gibbo.

What I find fascinating is that there are very few camera pictures of the the very early stuff so it's all drawings or paintings. I'm sure if there is a mistake itl most likely be only you that knows it barring scholar's of the early days. From them drawings and paintingd there must have been artistic licence involved too as the technology was so new those people back then were witnessing something unique. How amazing would it be to travel back in time to witness the birth of something we take so much for granted. Truly the dawn of the modern era and you are capturing it in 4mm. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, just finished off the last couple of wagon kits last weekend so have done a bit of a swap over for something else to do.

20210213_163310.jpg.5162f220d5658c2a669eb17179b42766.jpg

Iv had another S Kits Freightliner detailing pack for sometime with a thought to do a short two or 3 rake to go with the 5 car rake I previously did- basically I have more containers than wagons so obviously I need more wagons!

The flats had already been prepped up with bogies removed, pivots filed and various bits of plastic removed. Sunday afternoon saw me add the new trussing and increasing the solebar depth with some 30 thou strips and left to harden overnight on a flat surface.

Last night I added the verticles from Square rod and most of the white metal bits of the kit and tonight saw me add the brake wheels and other bits. Just about ready for priming now and then into blue.

20210216_222350.jpg.429a8ca458b8b97e69183e0252a6d5db.jpg

20210216_222407.jpg.61c6e0bc0366d013a2817a1e8e3582b6.jpg

Quite enjoyed doing these 3 and they seemed to take a lot less time to do I recall when I did the 5 set. I have also got my Dad chopping down a couple of 30ft Hornby boxes so I'm working up some transfers for these.

Cheers

James

• Like 6

Hi James,

Many apologies that I had completely missed your thread until now. Just spent an enjoyable hour or so scanning through your projects, lots of interesting stuff there from start to finish so will be following from now on. I do like the Fertiliser wagons; I'm sure a book I have has a decent photo of a blue curtain sider, if you are still looking for small lettering info I will dig it out and check?

All the best,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

Many apologies that I had completely missed your thread until now. Just spent an enjoyable hour or so scanning through your projects, lots of interesting stuff there from start to finish so will be following from now on. I do like the Fertiliser wagons; I'm sure a book I have has a decent photo of a blue curtain sider, if you are still looking for small lettering info I will dig it out and check?

All the best,

Martyn.

Morning Martin, not a problem, it can be a bit stop start this thread much more on the stop side at the mo with lockdown.

Any pics greatly received of any PWA's especially the blue curtain sides. 

All the best

James

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Morning Martin, not a problem, it can be a bit stop start this thread much more on the stop side at the mo with lockdown.

Any pics greatly received of any PWA's especially the blue curtain sides. 

All the best

James

Hi James,

Just checked the photo, it's a Shellstar (door rather than curtain side) van, will PM photos to you in case they are of use though.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

Just checked the photo, it's a Shellstar (door rather than curtain side) van, will PM photos to you in case they are of use though.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, incredibly useful as it answers a couple of questions for the next one I do, just awaiting Jon Hall to do another batch of trusses and that one will be on the go.

Thanks again, very useful pics!

All the best

James

• Thanks 1

Hi James,

Are you going to give any more of a clue to what the cut down container boxes will be or are we going to have to wait and see ? I tried getting back into building containers but after last years capers I seem to have stalled. All I have managed recently are these three:

DSCF1395.JPG.1ae1358735dd28573b386860aa113942.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Are you going to give any more of a clue to what the cut down container boxes will be or are we going to have to wait and see ? I tried getting back into building containers but after last years capers I seem to have stalled. All I have managed recently are these three:

DSCF1395.JPG.1ae1358735dd28573b386860aa113942.JPG

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo, well the plan at the mo is for ACT and Hapag Loyd ones, nice and easy on the white background, reminds me I need to find my decal paper!

Need any Manchester liners or sainsburys beef ones for your 1830s versions? Haha

Edited by jessy1692

20210221_111424.jpg.a4baa98369a3f7fbc54fc6ad6c01b5d3.jpg

Productive couple of days on the coffee table, 3 flats and 2 ferry vans going through the paint shops. The flats have had 3 coats of blue each, bit tedious brush painting them as there's so many surfaces to paint but worth it, may take another coat on the tops.

The ferryvans are just awaiting another couple of coats of grey on the rooves, I masked over the flying box logos on the doors before a coat of early brown on one and decided to do the other in olive just for something different. Both have had new hand rails added and the door slide box thinned down, the 'bogies' lowered by filing the mounts down and one of them glued solid so only one pivots. Learned the lesson from last year when I glued both up and they didn't like reversing over points. Managed to free up all of them except one that I glued a bit too well.

Bit more painting today and I can start adding the transfers. Need to source some more wheels for the flats though

Iv now finished the artwork for some ACT & Hapag Loyd 20ft Box sides and have my Dad on the case chopping boxes up so these will probably appear this week. Also won some tatty containers on Ebay so will be tarting them up a bit to add a few more.

Actually looking like a nice day here so I think I'll head out for a bit to blow the paint fumes away, although I do love the smell of railmatch I'm the morning!

Cheers

James

• Like 8

Evening, bit of an update from the coffee table paint shop. The green ferryvan is now all but finished, I lettered it up as a ZRX as per the pick on Paul Bartlett's site. I butchered a TOPs panel or two up to get the ZRX code, don't look too closely at the numbers though as I think I'd have lost the will to live sorting them. The other van is awaiting me popping an order in to Railtech once iv made a list of transfers I think ill want/need

20210223_230735.jpg.043d880a5694aa284830eff2eef79e96.jpg20210223_230541.jpg.9e4f9ad957440f9a06f364a2026e89dc.jpg

The flats have now had transfers applied, thankfully I had some left from the previous build. A little bit of weathering to go on these then wheels need to be sourced.

20210223_230454.jpg.06dd86cf327d184937b1505e034bdc35.jpg

Finally for now the latest PWA has been started, I was going to keep this back for a bit as Jon Hall hasn't any truss etches at the mo but Martyn@Signaller69  kindly sent me over a pic of one of the Lloyd's & Scottish batch of wagons in nearly new condition I thought I'd give it a go. It appears that these were introduced in a light grey so have used Rail Grey as the base. Home made transfers applied last night and a bit of muck added tonight. The pics of these on Paul Bartletts site show what a state they got in by the late 70's so I'm aiming for something not quite ex works but not as dilapidated as they look. Work still to do on it is white numbers for the left hand end, trusses when they are back in stock and a set of Stenson bogies. Then I'll re run my PWA transfer sheet for the sole bar lettering.

20210223_233855.jpg.994b029bc8f1af85da1e7e68ab4fbcc0.jpg

Oh and last but not least iv run off a sheet of transfers for the next container boxes currently being chopped down at my Dads so expect these to appear this week all being well. Unfortunately the curtain side PWA sides I added to the sheet havnt come out very well, the blue seems to have a light blue stripe running through it. I'll be ordering some more paper this week anyway so will give them another go.

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe, the end is in sight.

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

20210303_211414.jpg.645bd4f77de41573ce3bf0277cd28959.jpg

Evening all, bit of an update from the coffee table. A couple of old bashed up 30ft containers gone through the paint shop and now have the transfers applied for my new variants. Probably not 100% correct but the look the part to me. The doors are a bit suspect but I'll hide them on the train.

I have had some more arrive at the weekend too so I have enough to do a 30ft Hapag Lloyd and one 20ft as well as 2 more 30ft ACT ones if I fancy it.

IMG-20210228-WA0005.jpeg.8d16534d2114693516144074e6e80615.jpeg

The latest arrivals had a lovely bath and a scrub to get rid of some god awful paint that was on them. Thankfully the sun was out so it was quite a pleasant afternoon scrubbing them down after varnishing the flats and ZRX van which have now gone to the layout. 

I'm undecided what I'll do with the 3 20ft boxes that got stripped, they don't have the gap or raised strip where Hornby printed Freightliner so may have a go at making up the transfers to do the original ones with the yellow stripe and flying box logo- we shall see. The 3 open containers are going to be bashed into 30fters and I'm planning on chopping one of the up to produce a Mark 1 K Type (longer single piece side boards)

Iv had some more decal paper arrive today so I'll get on with printing some more PWA stuff to progress the half finished one on the shelf. Iv been watching a few on Ebay recently and they seem to be fetching a fair old price now. Kicking myself I passed up 4 go for less than 30 quid a month or so ago.. hey ho.

More soon, a new saw blade has arrived so it may be used in anger on a new project soon..

Cheers

James

• Like 5

Hi James,

I like the idea of the flying box logo, they will go well with your prototype flat wagons. Which reminds me that I have some Tartan Arrow boxes to get on with.

How are the Cemflo's coming along, same as mine, slowly ?

Gibbo.

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I like the idea of the flying box logo, they will go well with your prototype flat wagons. Which reminds me that I have some Tartan Arrow boxes to get on with.

How are the Cemflo's coming along, same as mine, slowly ?

Gibbo.

I thought it may pique your interest with a mention of the early boxes! I'll see what I and my glamorous photoshop assistant can sort out for them and Tartan Arrow boxes.

The Cemflo's are sort of progressing, I have 8 all washed and dismantled and I have had a steady stream of stuff arriving ready for destruction and rebuilding.

I think ill have to wait till the weekend for sawing as itl make a bit of dust so will have to be done outside, fingers crossed it doesn't rain and it warms up a bit!

Cheers

James

• Like 2

Evening all, had a very productive weekend which has seen me start my next rake of wagons, the lovely Cemflo's. Iv always liked these and I have ummed and arred about buying some Accurascale ones but where is the fun in opening a box? (They are excellent wagons though!)

Also in a roundabout way these wagons got the Harrogate - Ripon line re opened briefly after the DP2 incident. Allegedly the Eastern Region did rather a good job in getting it open as a diversion after the incident that BR decided they needed to blow up a girder bridge and fill in a cutting/tunnel once the ECML was back up and running so the old Leeds Northern couldn't be reopened as a useful diversionary route again, despite the arguments and proof of its usefulness. In my alternate world where it wasn't closed in 1967 I think I need a rake of these trundling around behind my blue DP2.

I had a few already but won a few more on Ebay so had 8 at my disposal by the weekend so I set to and started chopping them up outside yesterday. I gave up in the end as it was bloody cold out there and started again on the coffee table this morning so I have been at it most of today.

I managed to make 7 from 8 which I'm pretty happy with and I have 4 more on the way so should easily get 10 for the rake.

Bodies were chopped up like John Isherwood did for his rake to add the missing 5mm and then re assembled, some were cut 2.5 mm off centre and the two long ends joined together and other were chopped in half and fillets from the donor wagon spliced in to get the correct 92mm length. There's really not much left of the donor now! 

20210307_213243.jpg.71ccdcb063c00a1c661910e862548ab2.jpg

20210307_213256.jpg.67b30408a871648b32126c324297680c.jpg

I have just downed tools for the night to try tidy up all the dust and bits of yellow plastic which has got everywhere. 

I have a plan for the chassies thanksto Gibbo for his useful info from his build of them, I think ill get the tank joins filled in this week and work on the chassis in-between the rounds of filler. I'll have to order some rod for brake cylinders etc.

Anyway a start has been made, I'm not going for super duper detail as I'll never get them to stand up against the Accurascale ones but as long as the look like a Cemflo and detailed enough to look good from 2ft away ill be happy, plus, it's not as if there is much else to do so a 10 wagon rake will pass the time nicely.

More soon

Cheers

James

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2