Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

1 minute ago, Dagworth said:

Sorry, that was kind of my fault, I single handedly pushed the price up on HAAs about 20 years ago and it has never come back down.

One thing I've found is that chucking the tubs in caustic solution for 24 hours takes the bright silver Hornby finish down to a much nicer metallic silver-grey without touching the transfers.

Andi

No worries Andi my lot average out at about 6.50 - 7 quid each so there are still some bargains to be had if you want to put the work in. Nice tip on the caustic soda, if i fancy doing an empty rake ill give it a go. Thankfully 13/14 is about right for length for my layout, i think youll have a about a good % of all HAA's that came out of Margate on Dagworth!

Cheers

James

• Like 2

Right the, so the last couple of evenings has had me back bashing a loco, the PWA's are still ongoing but this should be more fun.

A long while back i had a chat with @Clive Mortimore at the Doncaster show and he gave me a plan for a class 48. This has been at the back of my mind for a long while and iv finally got round to having a go. Now being a bit tight, i wasnt going to start hacking up a Bachmann 47 so in the last month or so ivemanaged to bag a couple of Lima 47 bodies off ebay for a tenner each. (Accidentally won one after i purchased the 1st)

So, last night after doing a bit on the PWA,s i dug out the plan to see whats and proceeded to start carving off the vertical bars in the cantrails, so far so good, plus iv got a back up body incase it goes bad and if it does 47 901 may be on the cards.

I did one side last night, carved off all the vertial dividers, shaved off the plastic in the bigger dividers and scribed in the horizontals to make one long grille. 

20200818_211336.jpg.79a41c4de6190530458f19f4074fc4bf.jpg

I asked my dad to give it 'dusting' or primer on the cantrail to see how it looks and upon my return tonight hes primed the body.. hey ho it did show up the remains of the verticles go i went back over with the point of the knife to shave more bits out and sharpened a little flat blade screw driver to act as a chisel which i ran up and down the horizontals until smooth and back to yellow plastic.

20200818_220342.jpg.029e7fa4b234b466209930f9c2d55e4b.jpg

Repeat the process on the other side so now im left with one continuous set of louvres really, need more primer now to see how it looks.

Next job will be re arranging the roof sections. 48's had twin exhaust ports at the radiator end and the engine room hatches further towards the boiler end. Iv gone cross eyed this eve looking at pics to see exactly where the doors should be and i think iv cracked it. I think they are standard 47 engine roof doors judging pics and recinciling on the model and plans of the new grilles. Other bits on the roof need sorting so i may chop the roof section off the other body, rearrange and transplant into the 48. Lots of thinking required now.

Cheers

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Right the, so the last couple of evenings has had me back bashing a loco, the PWA's are still ongoing but this should be more fun.

A long while back i had a chat with @Clive Mortimore at the Doncaster show and he gave me a plan for a class 48. This has been at the back of my mind for a long while and iv finally got round to having a go. Now being a bit tight, i wasnt going to start hacking up a Bachmann 47 so in the last month or so ivemanaged to bag a couple of Lima 47 bodies off ebay for a tenner each. (Accidentally won one after i purchased the 1st)

So, last night after doing a bit on the PWA,s i dug out the plan to see whats and proceeded to start carving off the vertical bars in the cantrails, so far so good, plus iv got a back up body incase it goes bad and if it does 47 901 may be on the cards.

I did one side last night, carved off all the vertial dividers, shaved off the plastic in the bigger dividers and scribed in the horizontals to make one long grille. 

20200818_211336.jpg.79a41c4de6190530458f19f4074fc4bf.jpg

I asked my dad to give it 'dusting' or primer on the cantrail to see how it looks and upon my return tonight hes primed the body.. hey ho it did show up the remains of the verticles go i went back over with the point of the knife to shave more bits out and sharpened a little flat blade screw driver to act as a chisel which i ran up and down the horizontals until smooth and back to yellow plastic.

20200818_220342.jpg.029e7fa4b234b466209930f9c2d55e4b.jpg

Repeat the process on the other side so now im left with one continuous set of louvres really, need more primer now to see how it looks.

Next job will be re arranging the roof sections. 48's had twin exhaust ports at the radiator end and the engine room hatches further towards the boiler end. Iv gone cross eyed this eve looking at pics to see exactly where the doors should be and i think iv cracked it. I think they are standard 47 engine roof doors judging pics and recinciling on the model and plans of the new grilles. Other bits on the roof need sorting so i may chop the roof section off the other body, rearrange and transplant into the 48. Lots of thinking required now.

Cheers

James

Hi James

Check out the photos on the class 47 website, especially the construction photos of the Cuban locos as they had the same roof panels.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

Check out the photos on the class 47 website, especially the construction photos of the Cuban locos as they had the same roof panels.  

Cheers Clive, currently making a collage of pics from various sources, even have my old man scouting through old mags from the 60s. All good stuff, love the research part. Need to get some more plasticard though sharpish to start making the 3 piece grilles like you have

All the best

James

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

the point of the knife to shave more bits out and sharpened a little flat blade screw driver to act as a chisel

https://www.google.com/search?q=tamiya+chisel&client=firefox-b-m&sxsrf=ALeKk01wes4IrMyOqqavVoxx1eF-KfdiPQ:1597835650302&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj82uHSkafrAhXNaRUIHRbhA_0Q_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=624#imgrc=ZJd4UZnvlVkRcM

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Spot on cheers Mike, once i get another blow over with primer and see how things are ill be getting an order in

Cheers

James

Back to the bench tonight, first job i thought of was to cut out the roof sections in the 47 to see about re arranging them to be more like a 48 then realised that itd be a bit of a messy job only after cutting them all into bits..

20200822_201925.jpg.2cb214a4e446524df385de0ef913b164.jpg

So i did the same cuts on the back up shell and decided to file all the detail smooth as a blank canvas to make my own new roof hatches and panels. Looking at photos it seems the 48s had a much simpler roof than a standard 47. Just panels for the exhaust section, then the roof doors and then another final panel before the boiler section.

20200822_223122.jpg.832af93194059c3c7cfcdc90c63051d1.jpg

Iv left the new roof section gluing in overnight after sketching the various new panels on. Tomorrow should see a start on making these.

Cheers

James

• Like 6

Back at the bench for a couple of hours tonight so a little more progress on the 48 and some movement on the PWA's which are now in primer.

20200826_204842.jpg.d7ff279bed7eb13b914aa9ea4ae9bf70.jpg

The 48 had new roof panels cut and glued on Sunday afternoon which i left to go off fully. The replacement roof section i spliced in seemed to be extremely soft plastic which really melted when liquid poly was applied which then caused liquid plastic leakage around some of the new panels. 

Tonight i started to tidy up the leakage now every has set and things are starting to look a little less standard 47. I very carefully sliced off the hinges from the removed roof hatches, not a fun job as i managed to slice my fingers but thankfully not too bad to bleed everywhere..

These were then re applied to the new roof hatches and then bits of plasticard cut for the top central catch. I did think about forming a recess to put these in like the originals but decided too much could go wrong and chickened out.

20200826_231204.jpg.93fa2e7ca4de0647babc29d39cf21110.jpg

Final job tonight was to work out how the twin exhaust ports should go and the size of them. Handily i had some Shawplan Deltic exhaust port surrounds so used these. The exhausts  were marked out and drilled using the old 'if it looks right it is right' method of measuring, once drilled and filed smooth the Deltic surrounds were glued on.

Thats where the fun ends for tonight. Next job will be a bit of sanding and filling the roof to tidy it up, then a trip to Frizinghall hopefully on Sat for more plasticard to tackle the grills.

Cheers

James

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Evening all, time has been a bit tight so only been able to get some modelling time tonight since last week. I did manage a trip to Frizinghall models on Sat for supplies though.

The PWAs are now sprayed white and drying off, will have to make up some transfers soon and choose a brown for the them.

The 48 is coming on, tonight i sanded down the filler i put in last week and tidied up some more on the roof and the sanded down the filler in the marker light holes at the front, a quick blow over with primer showed things were looking good.

20200903_224633.jpg.a94bf32e263d72fcd050d78214192134.jpg

Next i tackled the Spanner boiler port which seems is just a big hole, i drilled it out and then rolled up a cone of 10thou plasticard and glued in, hopefully once this has dried i can trim down to create the lip/rim and the slightly conical sides inside will look better than just a big hole. If all fails i have an circular grill that will cover it.

20200903_224627.jpg.33d44d123b672e47f259207551913d3d.jpg

Once that was in attention turned to main rad slats and how to create the original 3 panelled version, i started by carefully cutting out the central pillar and filed out so that there is just one long slat. I got some 20tho rod at the weekend so cut a few lengths to fit in aperture and carefully glued the middle and ends starting from the top down. I think i have worked out a slight optical illusion with these where if the top slats are spaced slightly closer together then the lower ones it will give a more prototypical look. Still early days as iv only got 4 in so far before i stopped at 11. Once the slats are in and straight and level (only lightly glued in the middle and ends at the mo so still wobbly in places) ill make up the frames from 10thou and add in the verticals.20200903_224629.jpg.58a5c40a93b888be973e1ce14f03456b.jpg

Hopefully all goes to plan and will have the bulk of the build done soon, we have been busy re motoring nearly all of our old Lima powered stuff recently so when the time comes for the chassis ill add in what we have been doing with some cheap as chips modern class 59 power bogies

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
Terrible English
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Struggling to get decent lengths of time at the bench at the mo, but have managed a couple of evenings this week. Monday night i got the horizontal slats in on both sides and made up one of the panels to make the 3 piece grills and tonight completed the other side, although i slipped with my knife a took a chunk out of it so will wait for the glue to set fully before i assess.. frustrating.

20200909_203110.jpg.e0e9848ce8464b7efbc7a1dc970d43d0.jpg

Tonight i made a start on the bodyside cantrails and now have one full completed side, the other side has the white dividers curing off ready to tackle the finer verticles another night, slow and tricky stuff but should be worth it. Last job tonight was to fill up the head code panel marker lights as i forgot to do them last time the filler was out. The plasticard i coned up and stuck in the boiler port hole has now been trimmed back, just need to fettle up and create a rim which should finish off the roof nicely.

20200909_210936.jpg.eccc4493caf0a59802e58eb97fd61040.jpg

20200909_225723.jpg.a7e87e3dfdd4a95bf905bad577a3e069.jpg

Next up will be ordering some roof fan grills from Shawplan and once they are in the bodywork should be about done. Hopefully.

Cheers for looking

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Good work with all those grilles, I have been doing similar with my AC electrics lately although this evening has been bogie building, that is just a different type of tedious.

Gibbo.

Cheers Gibbo, its one of them jobs that needs the right frame of mind and a decent bit of time, lacking both at the mo! Getting there though.

Been keeping an eye on your and Darius' electrics, they really do look the part, handy tips on the grilles using various blades as well. All the tedium will be worth it im sure... hopefully!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The grilles and cantrails on the 48 are splendid, you should be very pleased indeed.

I thought your 48 already had etched roof grilles, it must be the way the primer caught the Lima mouldings. Shows how good they were for the time!

John.

Thanks very much John, i am pretty chuffed with them so far, got the fiddly thin ones on the other side to do tonight and to assess the knofe slip damage from last night..

The Lima mouldings are really good, the pic really has brought them out but i have just ordered some shawplan ones so theyll be coming out soon. Trying to go to town on this thing, even planning on spund chipping now we have decent chassis for Lima stuff in the works

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all, been cracking on with the grilles again tonight and now have all the new verticles in place. After addressing the damage from the knife slip last night i grafted in some new plastic to replace the bottom strip of the rad grilles on the non boiler port side and all looks well. 

After adding all the fine rods to this side i trimmed the inner end of the cone for the boiler hole and added in a circular bit of plastic i found which was handily the right size. I dont know exactly how deep the boiler vent should be but it looks ok to me, after that was glued in i made a ring of 20thou rod to add the lip on the top also.

20200910_225542.jpg.0b0231f7d089c962a24af718ec1be78e.jpg

Heres a few pics of the grilles and roof next to a standard 47 i did a few years back.

20200910_225335.jpg.c9598c9c9bcf6653ddba4a614855b200.jpg

20200910_230750.jpg.a59217bce4b8e28ff55a4f4b8d21014c.jpg

20200910_230808.jpg.331f5460b7b48da50a761375c3faadf0.jpg

Finally for tonight i scraped off the handrails and drilled holes for the wire ones ill add, also sanded back the filler in the marker light holes in the indicator panel. Lastly i made a start on drilling and cutting out the radiator fan grilles in preparation for some shawplan ones that i have ordered.

20200910_225533.jpg.25fc8fe6e2cb33e4bba77309bdc7c199.jpg

Next up will be a fine coat of primer to see how things look in one colour, probably a few bits to tidy but the paint shop is looming i feel, looks terrible at the mo with all the different colours and the shadows dont help!

Should get some more done over the weekend, but i think im off class 40 watching up the S&C Saturday, be good to see 345 whistling around again.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Right then, got a couple of hours on the bench in tonight, didnt get any time at the weekend after chasing a class 40 around on Saturday afternoon followed by the footy and Sunday i had to go to town to buy some birthday presents which sapped all enthusiasm out of me after wandering around shops.

The 48 continues, a primer coat was applied to show up any final alterations, thankfully nothing massive needed attention so just a couple of bits of sanding and a pass with a file here and there. The fan grilles were opened out fully as well as the new fans and grilles from Shawplan arrived today. I find painting the body and grilles separate helps to keep the fidelity of the extreme etchings intact, dont wand clogged mesh! Im pretty chuffed with how the rad grilles are looking, much better than in the hotchpotch of colours from previous pics, may convert one of my older 47s to a 3 piece grille now i know its do able...

New hand rails were bent up and fitted to the fronts and left to set. Final primer coat tomorrow and then into the paint shop!

20200915_224454.jpg.2d042512d6d36e143e9fc5bc02ec602e.jpg

Other things moving on are the PWAs, i trialled a few browns iv got and i think iv settled on humbrol 166, painting will now proceed and ill knock up some transfers for the UKF logos, may mix it up and do a shell star logo too on one, we shall see, job for a rainy saturday i feel.

20200915_224553.jpg.64bab1e78256d5c4dbf02684952c894e.jpg

Iv got a couple of days off this week after tomorrow, bit of a decorating job Thursdsy which should leave friday free, i may go fishing but im thinking of a day modelling might just be in order.

More soon all being well.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt got as much done as id liked recently but things are moving along slowly and i spent a couple of evenings working on some artwork for the PWAs to make my own transfers.

I was up at the bench tonight so grabbed a couple of snaps of progress on a few things.

20200926_230500.jpg.672acf1d531150b569ce988b01e34ba8.jpg

The 48 is now in green and tonight i masked up and painted on the first coat of the sherwood green stripe. Looks horrible but a few more will be an improvement. I sprayed the green without the Shawplan fan grilles in as i didnt want to clog them. I glued them in tonight and popped on a thin black was once the glue had tried. Again a few more coats needed but its moving on. The grey roof panels were also given a coat.

20200926_230513.jpg.5a43f9e436c0f23838a04167fb465a75.jpg

The 3 PWAs are coming on with the brown stripes probably only needing one more coat, im dreading taking masking off as i know it has lifted and some brown will gave creeped under it. Easy enough to tidy but will just take time. Handbrake wheels will be added shortly and the one without trusses needs a bigger TOPs panel adding. Transfer paper is on order, all i need to do now is match the brown on the artwork to the paint and sort out sizing of the artwork. I have 3 tops panels made up to suit the prototypes iv picked. Hopefully once the transfers are on this will be a nice interesting small rake to add to the fleet.

20200926_230504.jpg.d9c008a67c11cc47a4b5dbdf91f6ae54.jpg

Finally i have another couple of VDAs on the go, just the Hornby ones so all iv done is with these is lowered the axle mounts and glued one solid to improve the running. Just another coat of late bauxite and a few more coats of grey these will be ready for transfers.

Thats about it for now, hopefully some swifter progress coming up..famous last words!

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

Wow your 48 is going to look 100 times better than my effort, well done.

Cheers Clive, that means a lot to me coming from you, thanks to looking at your stuff when i first joined up on here it gave me impetus to bash more stuff about. Im dead chuffed with how the grilles have come out, a bit of black wash in them should bring them out well, still a fair bit to do before then but im trying to go all out on this, with a great chassis mod/upgrade to be revealed. Im also saving up the money im not spending on cigs at mo for a sound chip for this thing thinking kestrel but with silly 47 horns

All the best

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I don't know how to say this gently, but, scraping the raised bodyside windowframes off  and smoothing back improves the look of the model no end IMHO, a common improvement on a lot of Lima rolling stock.

Mike.

Ah poo, never thought of that! Cheers Mike, still may be do able so will have a ponder.. however all my other Lima 47s at mo still have them so may keep for that 'class' look for mine. I have got an idea for 901 in mind so my implement a change, some of my older ones are probably due for a repaint so deffo an idea.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Evening all, smallish update tonight. Most of the time iv had spare this week has seen me faffing about making some transfers for the UKF wagons. I enlisted the help of my better half as she is much better versed in photoshop than me, i normally stick to publisher for these things.

I tried out using our inkjet printer with some inkjet decal paper as opposed to the usual lazer jet i use on the big copier at work, last night we had sorted the artwork and ran off a copy, i then sprayed over with some satin varnish this morning in prep for application tonight, all going well. Each wagon has its own tops panel as per pics on Bartlett, and yes i know using the Lima models isnt correct for all builds so these are 'approximate' models.

20200930_211336.jpg.4bc8ee818b39e09520c09e761cf3ba15.jpg

I got to the bench tonight and gave the 48 another coat of sherwood green and set about cutting the transfers, i started with the UKF Shellstar ones as i like these as something a little different to the tradition brown big UKF. The UKF in the blue box went on fine but then disaster, the blue around the Shellstar lettering started to run and almost wash away.. that got binned so tried again, this time the blue came away on the tissue.. 3rd time i gently wetted the back of the transfer until it got just wet enough to slide off and onto the model but i was wary of using too much water and decal fix so not to make the colours run. This set the tone for the evening, iv probably ruined twice as many as iv applied so not overly happy. The tops panels look ok from a distance but close up you can see the black has run and discolours the white writing, i gave up on the solebar lettering as the same happened there. 

20201001_235204.jpg.d25b1059df34ba8bc6feddbcce25dd68.jpg

20201001_225108.jpg.a29a613e665189783a5fc6900125aac6.jpg

20201001_225142.jpg.3b48bac2e37c59b43e8c78f0266ef7a8.jpg20201001_225121.jpg.5bac34ce04c8453dc62fbc3294842899.jpg

Anyway, im going to revarnish the remaining sheet tomorrow and try again, im thinking i was a bit too quick and didnt get a good even coat, that may fix it but i have some lazer paper on the way so im going to re jig the some of the lettering and print on that. I can get sharper, smaller lettering that way. A little disappointing but all part of the learning curve. Rainy weekend coming up here so should get some more stuff done soon.

Cheers for looking in

James

Edited by jessy1692
Terrible English
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good James.  With respect to the ink running, it sounds like the varnish coat has not sealed the ink in properly.  Possibly inkjet printing may be more susceptible to this than laser jet.  For the decals that I print at home I used Keen Crystal Clear* varnish, which comes in spray cans.  I apply a couple of coats and let it dry overnight.  I have never had any ink bleed problems with laser printed decals.

Cheers

Darius

* other spray on varnishes are available I guess.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Looking good James.  With respect to the ink running, it sounds like the varnish coat has not sealed the ink in properly.  Possibly inkjet printing may be more susceptible to this than laser jet.  For the decals that I print at home I used Keen Crystal Clear* varnish, which comes in spray cans.  I apply a couple of coats and let it dry overnight.  I have never had any ink bleed problems with laser printed decals.

Cheers

Darius

* other spray on varnishes are available I guess.

Thanks Darius, hopefully another coat of varnish as you say will seal it better, having slept on it they arnt that bad really but i will be re doing some bits on the lazer paper for the solebar lettering and perhaps the tops panels to increase fidelity.

Cheers

James