Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

36 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

tip, paint (or a marker pen) round the inside edges of the windows of your 48 will hide how thick the plastic is.

Top tip! Cheers for that, if/when ill be back at the layout ill get the marker out. So frustrated as its was so close to being finished before lockdown came about. Hey ho..

All the best

James

So, test print on decal paper today, bit too cold to spray the varnish over the decals so just dived in to give one side a try. It was a bit of a chore to get it lined up, hence the chipped  and scratched decal, however, the blue looks about right and the ribbing is shoeing through well so i think i may be on to a winner. Ill be spraying the paper tomorrow and making sure there are several coats on just to be sure. Just need to work out some of the wording on the trusses so i can get them sorted. Pretty damn pleased with that trial. Time for a beer!

20201113_212356.jpg.0eb5e28feeeae095dbc293d2aa3f4795.jpgIMG-20201113-WA0031.jpeg.e1f50745eb6178de7d086c90086c482f.jpeg

Hopefully more soon

James

Edited by jessy1692
Better pic
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Iv been taking advantage of a few quiet hours whilst the rest of my mob are having a lie in. Done some more gloss white on the side of the second PWA in the works and jist taken the plunge and done a full side on the 1st one, all looks good so far although the blue shade has altered somewhat from my tests, probably due to printing on normal paper and i dont think the printer like doing big blocks of blue as the shade varies slightly over the length. However, im pretty pleased and i do like the shade, its not quite like the humbrol blue on the ends but should be able to weather them in. Just off to leg it between the showers to fetch the decal fix i forgot.

20201115_103238.jpg.74dc34136763b63846bc517318308b0d.jpg

Cheers

James

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Well today has been probably the most productive day i have had modelling for a while. The 2 PWA's are just drying/ hardening off after painting the rooves and underframes again just now. I managed not to ruin any of the side decals so all that i need now is the numbers adding and to work up some transfers for the lettering on the underframe trussing. I think i can guess most of it from pics available.

Close of today's play pictures:

20201115_232600.jpg.1ac6289e3fc62094a6d61ec618c05fa9.jpg20201115_232607.jpg.64369480ad647a61008a25dc181b9968.jpg20201115_232725.jpg.c5924ee1bc9f156b28472b38a951679d.jpg

Finally feels like cutting and gluing the 170+ vertical ribs was worth it! I wont be doing any more in a hurry!

Hopefully get these finished this week.

All the best

James

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice job, good to see a different pallet van.

It's probably a tad late, but, you've missed off what I assume to be the curtain operating mechanism and brackets from the wagon ends, most of the bits were left on when the wagons were converted to door type sides, IMHO a distinctive feature of these vans.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nice job, good to see a different pallet van.

It's probably a tad late, but, you've missed off what I assume to be the curtain operating mechanism and brackets from the wagon ends, most of the bits were left on when the wagons were converted to door type sides, IMHO a distinctive feature of these vans.

Mike.

Morning Mike, they do have the little triangle brackets and the vertical spindle thing on the ends, bad light in my front room and they are painted blue so dont show up too well on here, very cruel close crop. I have put them on both ends, however, the works picture of one on Pauls site seems to show one end with no mechanism? 

20201116_071950.jpg.c6867172743bbe81cf4f00a9fb06f479.jpg

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
Bad spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My eyesight isn't what it used to be either!

I wasn't sure myself if the mechanism was at one end only, as it is one long curtain then I assume it would be as it would be complicated to replicate the latching and traversing mechanism at either end. On my guinea pig model I've put it at both ends, but when the detailing kit comes out I may only do one end only.

Mike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My eyesight isn't what it used to be either!

I wasn't sure myself if the mechanism was at one end only, as it is one long curtain then I assume it would be as it would be complicated to replicate the latching and traversing mechanism at either end. On my guinea pig model I've put it at both ends, but when the detailing kit comes out I may only do one end only.

Mike.

No probs Mike, ill leave as both ends for now, if something pops up before i varnish them i can take one end off. Im awaiting a scan of an article from modern railways from my old man so that may have some info. Hopefully a decent close up of some if the wording on the trusses will pop up too, although these do seem to be a bit camera shy.

All the best

James

25 minutes ago, Jon4470 said:

Hi James

I’m very impressed with the finish that you’ve got on those wagons! It was definitely worth putting all those ribs on.

Jon

Thanks Jon, pretty chuffed with how they have come out, the ribs were a bit of a chore and felt very arts and crafts with the tissue paper and pva! Hopefully have the trussing wording done soon to nearly finish them off, just need bogies ordering.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Small update tonight as the PWA curtainside projects rumbles on. Last night i made up some wording and boxes for the lettering on the trussing, printed out on paper today and trialled for size as seen below.

20201118_204439.jpg.bcb73ab8d89c98d237e044303d5833a4.jpg

Slight size reductions needed but quite happy with how they are looking. Unfortunately i couldnt work out some of the lettering is from the pics online. Mike (Enterprisingwestern) kindly sent me a message earlier about some articles in Modern Railways from 1970 so i have my Dad on the case going through the copies he has to send me some info on.

Hopefully should have transfers printed up by the weekend, just working on last logo which will probably see most PWA liveries covered.

Cheers

James

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

So another couple of days pass by and time for a small update again, work has been mad so grabbed 5 mins late on to print some transfers this eve.

Should finish my current curtain sides off plus options for another possible one or two if i feel like another PWA at somepoint. Loads of spares so drop me a message if anyone wants some, (only charge for postage) or just the artwork to print your own.

20201120_173033.jpg.6a83614765d96392f1b621f332be0a7c.jpg

My Dad sent me some pics of the 1970 modern railways article i mentioned the other day, alas i still cant make out some of the wording so will have to do without for now.

If anyone has a decent pic of the curtain side trussing wording id be most appreciative.

All the best

James

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot happening at mo, i have made the transfers for the lettering i could make out for the trussing on the curtain siders, still waiting to get a chance to spray varnish them.

20201129_192352.jpg.72085cafa27a85da6433a26baa34bfff.jpg

I have now bought a couple of pairs of Stenson Models bogies for these so now just had to order bearings and wheels as im all out frustratingly.

Also feeling a little demotivated as we like most people will be off into tier 2 so i wont be able to bob up to the bench on a night to start new projects. Got a couple of wagon kits to build so may do them but im lacking a bit of enthusiasm at mo. 

Harrogate has seem some interesting traction over last couple of weekends so i have been nipping out to see whats going on, great to see a couple of 56's and two 70s this weekendP1190938.JPG.fdf110c2def60f60f9b3c8f69361edca.JPG20201122_100843.jpg.3e81db604fccd9bafc802a82677c0b88.jpg20201122_113741.jpg.085e47b99fe60448eec5cf3261697b8f.jpg

20201128_003725.jpg.0110da80e67f687883be299e3d684d00.jpg

Reminded me just how much i have missed diesel galas this year hearing them and especially smelling the exhaust fumes.

Hopefully more soon.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

Progress at last! The bearings i ordered a couple of weeks back finally dropped through my door yesterday so last night i built up one of the Stenson Fast Freight bogies for the curtain siders

20201215_082635.jpg.27a0501e71cadfa6429a243f9d136ddc.jpg

Very impressed with these and how easy they are to build once i found the instructions id 'put safe'. Wheels are 10.5mm eurostar wheels i got from Peters Spares a few weeks ago. Only managed one last night, i think the remaining 3 will fall together tonight now i know what im doing with them

Apart from that, very little has been happening on the modelling front. Just hope our Tier 2 status may change so i can get back to the layout, getting a bit bored of late.

More soon all being well.

All the best

James

• Like 4

Evening all, had the day off today so iv cracked on and finished building the bogies, just ready to prime and paint now. I sat one of the vans on to see how they look and with a few washers nuts and bolts these will get the curtain siders done nicely.

20201218_155930.jpg.be3f17af32909f6e0931ad7fe79f7611.jpg

20201218_155934.jpg.fd0203c41a923740c0897df8403b0dc7.jpg

20201218_155944.jpg.be1c71bb522e2408a75b098a51454f6c.jpg

The postman also has brought me 4 Cambrian Mermaids from Ebay and a couple of Dapol Presflows so plenty to keep me going. Built a mermaid today, was a bit slow going as the plastic is old and brittle but its come out ok. Wheels are what i had around to check axle boxes etc and will be changed but apart from that i thinl its time to start a production line.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, leopardml2341 said:

Did you find the chassis for the mermaid wagon a bit of a pain to build?

Just a bit! The instructions aren't great and it was pretty hard to keep square. Plus the old plastic being brittle meant bits kept breaking when cutting off the sprue such as the head stocks. It was a very 'slow and steady' aproach in the end. 3 to go so ill think ill do them as a slow production line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BernardTPM said:

Cambrian plastic was always a bit more on the brittle side than Parkside even when new.

Yeah iv noticed that on the last few second hand kits iv done but these mermaids are even more brittle than I expected!

4 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Yeah iv noticed that on the last few second hand kits iv done but these mermaids are even more brittle than I expected!

Hi James,

The bendy, soft, waxy plastic of the Dapol Presflos will make up for brittle Cambrian Mermaids !

A tip for building Presflos is to make sure the edges of the hopper ends where the vertical section meets the slope has the draught angle reshaped to ensure a good fit with the sides. You will see what I mean should you do a dry run. Something else to look out for is that the chassis doesn't twist when mounting the hopper, again dry run once all the assemblies are ready to be put together.

Are those kits older than you ????

Gibbo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

The bendy, soft, waxy plastic of the Dapol Presflos will make up for brittle Cambrian Mermaids !

A tip for building Presflos is to make sure the edges of the hopper ends where the vertical section meets the slope has the draught angle reshaped to ensure a good fit with the sides. You will see what I mean should you do a dry run. Something else to look out for is that the chassis doesn't twist when mounting the hopper, again dry run once all the assemblies are ready to be put together.

Are those kits older than you ????

Gibbo

Cheers for the heads up Gibbo, been a loooong time since I built a presflow so very useful.

As for the Mermaids, they could well be as old if not older than me.. no idea when Cambrian started including plastic wheels as per old Dogfish kits I've picked up, so these could be older than me as they have no wheels! That seems really weird to think about now after a few beers!

Edited by jessy1692

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Try gluing something to a Hornby original MGR chassis!

Trying to find a stockist of UV glue over here as all else seems to fail.

Mike.

• Agree 1