• RMweb Gold

I should have put about time ;)

But round ere it's said "Bart time " lol

Brian

Haha it is around your way Brian, around here it's bout time lad!! I thought you where on bart or bout Simpsons ;)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

What a great subject for a small layout - in an area close to my heart too.

Oddly, what immediately struck me is how much that station house looks like one of Hornby's Lyddle End models...

Thanks very much, I'll take a look at the Hornby station mate :) did you ever visit there?

Although it's only a small project though I may take me a while to get going properly, also for a small station it seen quite a bit of traffic as far as I'm aware I've seen pics of double headed 24's an 37's on weekend specials in the 60's.

Thanks again, Paul

• Like 1

Remiss of me, but no - I've never visited, despite knowing the Barmouth area quite well. However, I will be around there in about 3 weeks time, so I shall certainly be taking a looksee!

Edited by tersono

• RMweb Gold

Remiss of me, but no - I've never visited, despite knowing the Barmouth area quite well. However, I will be around there in about 3 weeks time, so I shall certainly be taking a looksee!

Barmouth is lovely, I was hoping to take my mum back up there this year but I think it'll be next year now, if you get to visit Dyffryn please feel free to take some pics ;)

It's a bit different now though there's a crossing gate keeper so no chance of wandering up the track like the good old days :)

Cheers, Paul

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is Talsarnau.

Is this the extremely modellable little goods shed from Duffryn Ardudwy?

attachicon.gif2008 103.jpg

attachicon.gif2008 104.jpg

I'd glimpsed it from a passing train in 2007 and thought "That would make a good model" so went back the following year in search of it.  I visited every station between Llanaber and Llandecwyn before finally tracking it down and seven years on they've all merged into a blur and I'm no longer entirely sure where it was.

One thing I did find curious was its location - right in the throat of the goods yard, where having a wagon parked by it for loading or unloading would completely block access to the rest of the yard.

• 6 months later...

The former station building at Dyffryn Ardudwy is now up for sale:-

http://www.walterlloydjones.co.uk/property/station-road-dyffryn-ardudwy-ll44/walt-001077/1

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/empty-former-station-house-sale-11701078

(apologies for the awful 'story' - the South Wales Echo at it's finest I'm afraid)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The former station building at Dyffryn Ardudwy is now up for sale:-

http://www.walterlloydjones.co.uk/property/station-road-dyffryn-ardudwy-ll44/walt-001077/1

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/empty-former-station-house-sale-11701078

(apologies for the awful 'story' - the South Wales Echo at it's finest I'm afraid)

Oh my!! What would I do to buy that, not a bad price though but it's the expense of doing it up.

I was only thinking about this thread today, I really need to make a start in something, I know my main thread ELJ is taking priority but I am going to build this one day as I think about it with fond memories most days. As some of you may be aware we've just had a little girl to so modelling time is quite rare at the moment.

Thanks again for the link an hopefully I'll have something to post soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi PJ . I would love to see this come to life .... One day :) We used to holiday in the area as kids (late 70's / early 90's) and as you say , I also have very fond memories. That's one of reasons I started my layout.

I'm considering a small plank based on Talybont (very early stages of planing)

A great part of the network to model.

All the best , Kev

• RMweb Gold

Hi PJ . I would love to see this come to life .... One day :) We used to holiday in the area as kids (late 70's / early 90's) and as you say , I also have very fond memories. That's one of reasons I started my layout.

I'm considering a small plank based on Talybont (very early stages of planing)

A great part of the network to model.

All the best , Kev

Thanks Kev, it's something I really want to do but I can never get my head around having two projects on the go as I like to give my all to just one, but ELJ is very much an urban based dirty scene whereas Dyffryn is very much a lovely country setting which I'd love to do.

Ive been giving it some serious thought over the last couple of days but as I read your post I've just head a scary thought, I've just heard Heljan are going to produce DMU's in O gauge, I've thought about dipping my toe into O gauge but for the reasons above and cost I keep putting it off. Maybe I could do a section of Dyffryn in O gauge, it would be great to practice O gauge skills etc and it'd give me an excuse to build Dyffryn??

What do you think or is it just another mad day dream??

Cheers

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with day dreams , mad or otherwise ;) I've never personally ventured into O gauge . I think I've been put off by cost and space needed to have a layout (obvious really)

Just build it in any scale and use the memories as the excuse :) Cheers

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately you may of missed the boat with the 'cheap' Dapol 08's, most retailers are showing them all taken up. I know where a Blue 'D' numbered beastie can be had for less than £160, but from what I understand, they are pretty much gone!!

The next batch will be nearer to the £200 mark, but in fact still exceptional value for money if you compare other offerings in 7mm. A reasonable tank engine kit will set you back best part of £200 itself, then there are wheels, motor and gearbox, which can add as much as another £160 (0-6-0T) to the cost.

The likes of Dapol, Minerva, Heljan are making O'gauge affordable, and the thing is, you seem to have less stock in O'gauge.

There are some great kits out there too, JLTRT, Jim McGowan's range, Parkside Dundas and Slaters. They all are dearer than OO but you do have the satisfaction of building much more.

Next time you are over here, you are welcome to call in to see Talyllyn as seeing 7mm up close is so much different than looking at pictures or videos on You Tube.

I'd encourage anyone to follow what makes them happy, be it dreams or not.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jinty, I've looked at some of the kits an they look great but the prices are frightening along with the skill you need to make them :O

I really want totes something one day in 7mm but it would have to be something pretty small, it'll be a while to so I'll prob just hang around till the Dapol 08 are more available, if I go down the big boy route.

I'm up your way on Wednesday night, I'm dropping the Mrs off at Presthaven Sands, she's staying with her mum an dad in a caravan for two nights but I'll have to come straight back as I'm in work early the next day :(

If I can get over I'll try and pay you a visit in the next few weeks I'm been meaning to do it for ages but just don't seem to get any free time sorry :(

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it's been a pretty crap couple of weeks modelling wise, having lost my mojo with other projects and just not knowing what I really want to do for one reason or another, but I finally think I've settled on an idea.

It's not entirely a model based 100% on Dyffryn but it's based on the station and crossing but I've added a small goods yard to add a bit of operational interest, the image or scenario I've got in my mind (yep I'm sad) is of a 37, 40 or 47 turning up on a trip working and clagging away in the station an 08 can then take a few wagons off the back stick em in a siding then collect more to attach to the waiting train, I wouldn't need much stock and it'd be nice and scenic.

Here's a rough plan, I'll try an do a better one later.

393D14CD-346A-4EC7-8801-6289FB48D9AB_zps

Now here's the thing I'm going to built it in 7mm, I've been itching to build something in O gauge for a while now and I finally think this could be the right project. I'm not sure on what size it will be but that's something for me to look into over the next few weeks.

If anyone feels this doesn't have the right feel for Dyffryn I'll happily start a new thread but to me it'll hopefully bring that smile I had as a kid back on my face when seeing a 37 passing through.

Thoughts and ideas are really welcome on this.

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Did you look at the estate agent's stuff - picture of the real goods yard on that.

I did Tim that's what gave me the idea I've just moved it to the other side of the station as by going of the pics it looks like it was the other side.

Cheers