• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I confess I've only just found this thread, but I've enjoyed reading it, and I really like you platform shelter, it's a cracking bit of modelling, nice one.

Al.

Thanks Al I really enjoyed building it I must admit, might have to build it in 7mm ;)

Thanks again

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Just stumbled onto this topic, rekindled some very happy memories!  We used to camp nearby at Talybont in the late 80's-early 2000's, but if we were up for a week we'd usually go for a meal one evening at the pub at Dyffryn.  Used to love crossing the line in the twilight, occasionally getting to see a sprinter crawling along, headlight flickering in the gloom.  We'd park by the old station building and walk over the line to get to the pub, it felt quite special somehow as a child getting to be the crossing-keeper, opening the level crossing gates.  Haven't been back to either Talybont or Dyffryn in probably a decade, even though I stop at Porthmadog a few times a year with my own foster-kids now.  Probably ought to make the effort for a return visit at some point when this virus malarkey is done with.

Did the layout progress any further?  The attention to detail with the buildings was fantastic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 16:54, Ben B said:

Just stumbled onto this topic, rekindled some very happy memories!  We used to camp nearby at Talybont in the late 80's-early 2000's, but if we were up for a week we'd usually go for a meal one evening at the pub at Dyffryn.  Used to love crossing the line in the twilight, occasionally getting to see a sprinter crawling along, headlight flickering in the gloom.  We'd park by the old station building and walk over the line to get to the pub, it felt quite special somehow as a child getting to be the crossing-keeper, opening the level crossing gates.  Haven't been back to either Talybont or Dyffryn in probably a decade, even though I stop at Porthmadog a few times a year with my own foster-kids now.  Probably ought to make the effort for a return visit at some point when this virus malarkey is done with.

Did the layout progress any further?  The attention to detail with the buildings was fantastic!

Evening mate, unfortunately I didn’t get any further with the layout I jumped up to O gauge so I’m currently building a diesel depot layout based on Edge Hill servicing point.  By pure chance I’ve since started working for Transport for Wales although Dyffryn isn’t one of the routes I sign.  Your memories seem very similar and happy as mine, opening the gates for the family.

I will build this one day though ;) 

cheers

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've also just fallen across this thread - I thought noone else knew where Dyffryn is!!

I have a memory of being probably around the 9 years of age mark, and me Mum and Dad took me on holiday to a caravan at Dyffryn Ardudwy. Anyway, I can remember being a bit ill after the long car journey from sunny Cheshire - in the back of my Dad's Hillman Imp ( no wonder I was ill ) and going for a wander up to the top of the campsite and being extremely susrprised to find a railway running passed.

Whether it was the same evening or later in the holiday, but I recall my Dad saying that The Royal Train was due through and going up onto the platform with him. This is why I think it was 1977 - most likely HRH doing the rounds by train for her Silver Jubilee.

Unless my memory is completely shot, which it could be, I seem to remember the Royal being hauled by a pair of bulled up 31's with the Finsbury Park bodyside white stripe, yellow painted axlebox covers, white walled wheels - the works. Anyone got any photos, or is my memory really playing me up?

So that's my abiding memory of Dyffryn Ardudwy! Be nice if you got the mojo back for building it at some point.

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BigAndy said:

I've also just fallen across this thread - I thought noone else knew where Dyffryn is!!

I have a memory of being probably around the 9 years of age mark, and me Mum and Dad took me on holiday to a caravan at Dyffryn Ardudwy. Anyway, I can remember being a bit ill after the long car journey from sunny Cheshire - in the back of my Dad's Hillman Imp ( no wonder I was ill ) and going for a wander up to the top of the campsite and being extremely susrprised to find a railway running passed.

Whether it was the same evening or later in the holiday, but I recall my Dad saying that The Royal Train was due through and going up onto the platform with him. This is why I think it was 1977 - most likely HRH doing the rounds by train for her Silver Jubilee.

Unless my memory is completely shot, which it could be, I seem to remember the Royal being hauled by a pair of bulled up 31's with the Finsbury Park bodyside white stripe, yellow painted axlebox covers, white walled wheels - the works. Anyone got any photos, or is my memory really playing me up?

So that's my abiding memory of Dyffryn Ardudwy! Be nice if you got the mojo back for building it at some point.

cheers

Andy

What a great memory, hopefully I’ll get to crack ok with Dyffryn one day, I’m currently selling all my O gauge locos and returning to 4mm so who knows!  I’m currently in the process of building this if you interested Andy, thanks again for your great memories

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

Like so many others, I seem to have stumbled across this thread purely by chance!

Dyffryn Ardudwy was our family summer holiday destination for many years throughout the 1970s and 1980s, some vague memories of pitching the family’s four berth 10 foot long caravan on the caravan sites near to the beach on a couple of occasions but mostly of staying at Mr Jones’s farm up the hill from the village, where the quickest way to the shop was via a path past the Burial Chamber! Very basic facilities (the farm, not the burial chamber!) - a tap for fresh water, a facility to empty the portaloo, and a big sloping field to pitch in, play in and occasionally be visited by sheep in! Many happy memories, including learning how to control the farmer’s collie in Welsh (the dog didn’t speak English).

My dad *almost* bought an immaculate Morris Oxford that was in one of the barns with less than 100 miles on the clock and a cracked indicator light; apparently, old Mr Jones bought it new and then shortly afterwards an old lady in the village stepped out in front of him and he knocked her over! Although she wasn’t seriously hurt, it upset old Mr Jones so much he put the car in the barn, shut the door and never drove it again! Old Mr Jones stuck to driving tractors for the rest of his life…

My dad *so* wanted to buy it - it was in immaculate (if dusty) condition and would have been an instant “classic” car - but he simply didn’t have the funds! 

I remember well both the road crossing and the various foot crossings along this stretch of line, as we used to find all sorts of walks to explore with our golden retriever, Tina. I only remember a train passing once, and we were several cars back in the queue so no idea what it was.

I took my (now ex) wife in the early days of our courtship to show her where I used to holiday as a kid - Barmouth, Tal-y-bont (with the crafts shops), Llanbedr (where I think there was a craft village, which I remember for the enormous castle on mountain shaped candles for sale - which I think may be where Artro Lodges now are), Llanfair and Harlech. Her response - what a dump - should have warned me off her then, but … love is blind!

Would love to see you progress this layout idea, if only for the sheer nostalgia of summer holidays gone by, when the summer of ‘76 turned our caravan into a portable oven, and the howling gales a few years later had Mr Jones’s flock huddling for shelter under our van and lifting it off its stabilisers!!

All the best for 2022

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi Paul

Like so many others, I seem to have stumbled across this thread purely by chance!

Dyffryn Ardudwy was our family summer holiday destination for many years throughout the 1970s and 1980s, some vague memories of pitching the family’s four berth 10 foot long caravan on the caravan sites near to the beach on a couple of occasions but mostly of staying at Mr Jones’s farm up the hill from the village, where the quickest way to the shop was via a path past the Burial Chamber! Very basic facilities (the farm, not the burial chamber!) - a tap for fresh water, a facility to empty the portaloo, and a big sloping field to pitch in, play in and occasionally be visited by sheep in! Many happy memories, including learning how to control the farmer’s collie in Welsh (the dog didn’t speak English).

My dad *almost* bought an immaculate Morris Oxford that was in one of the barns with less than 100 miles on the clock and a cracked indicator light; apparently, old Mr Jones bought it new and then shortly afterwards an old lady in the village stepped out in front of him and he knocked her over! Although she wasn’t seriously hurt, it upset old Mr Jones so much he put the car in the barn, shut the door and never drove it again! Old Mr Jones stuck to driving tractors for the rest of his life…

My dad *so* wanted to buy it - it was in immaculate (if dusty) condition and would have been an instant “classic” car - but he simply didn’t have the funds! 

I remember well both the road crossing and the various foot crossings along this stretch of line, as we used to find all sorts of walks to explore with our golden retriever, Tina. I only remember a train passing once, and we were several cars back in the queue so no idea what it was.

I took my (now ex) wife in the early days of our courtship to show her where I used to holiday as a kid - Barmouth, Tal-y-bont (with the crafts shops), Llanbedr (where I think there was a craft village, which I remember for the enormous castle on mountain shaped candles for sale - which I think may be where Artro Lodges now are), Llanfair and Harlech. Her response - what a dump - should have warned me off her then, but … love is blind!

Would love to see you progress this layout idea, if only for the sheer nostalgia of summer holidays gone by, when the summer of ‘76 turned our caravan into a portable oven, and the howling gales a few years later had Mr Jones’s flock huddling for shelter under our van and lifting it off its stabilisers!!

All the best for 2022

Steve S

Thanks Steve what great memories I’d forgot about Mr Jones do you remember his red tractor by the shop?  I’ve got a photo of me on it somewhere.  Don’t worry my ex mrs and current mrs didn’t seen as excited as I was when I took them either so don’t worry about that there’s just no pleasing some people :sclerosis:  I don’t know when I’ll get around to carrying on with this as my main layout Edge Hill is taking priority but on a positive I’m back modelling 4mm so who knows.

Once again thanks for the great memories of such a fantastic holiday location as a kid 

• Like 1