• RMweb Gold

Well I've woke up today with a returned mojo and a clear head.

There's no doubting in going to try something in O gauge but after a day at work with plenty of thinking time I finally thought what I really wanted and I've finally got a smile on my face.

I'm going to slowly carry on with my main project ELJ but Dyffryn will be my side project but in EM (huge tut, he's changed his mind again I hear you cry but here's the reason) I want to run trains as we all do and I want to do something that maybe invited to be exhibited one day. If I build it in EM I've got most the bits and stock, it'll be a great way of practising the scenic side of things as well as having something to test and run locos on and I recon I could do the station to scale with the goods yard in the correct place etc in a decent size.

I want it easy to transport to do I can work on it anywhere.

So that's the plan, I'll be ordering some two bolt chairs and ply sleepers in the next couple of days and once I've got the ply sorted I'll make a start.

Just found out the pub next to station, the Cadwgan is up for sale, anyone got a spare 495 grand????

Cadwgan Inn, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Gwynedd LL44 2HA

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-53741099.html

Cheers

• Like 5

Well I've woke up today with a returned mojo and a clear head.

There's no doubting in going to try something in O gauge but after a day at work with plenty of thinking time I finally thought what I really wanted and I've finally got a smile on my face.

I'm going to slowly carry on with my main project ELJ but Dyffryn will be my side project but in EM (huge tut, he's changed his mind again I hear you cry but here's the reason) I want to run trains as we all do and I want to do something that maybe invited to be exhibited one day. If I build it in EM I've got most the bits and stock, it'll be a great way of practising the scenic side of things as well as having something to test and run locos on and I recon I could do the station to scale with the goods yard in the correct place etc in a decent size.

I want it easy to transport to do I can work on it anywhere.

So that's the plan, I'll be ordering some two bolt chairs and ply sleepers in the next couple of days and once I've got the ply sorted I'll make a start.

Just found out the pub next to station, the Cadwgan is up for sale, anyone got a spare 495 grand????

Cadwgan Inn, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Gwynedd LL44 2HA

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-53741099.html

Cheers

Good sensible decision, possibly NOT what we expected, but your doing it for all the right reasons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good sensible decision, possibly NOT what we expected, but your doing it for all the right reasons.

Hope you weren't expecting something big and extravagant off me Andy :O hope I haven't let you down.

On a positive I recon the station is only about 200' long or just under so it should be farely easy to model, hopefully!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to show really on here but I've been brick counting and doing a bit of research into the station area, the goods yard apparently had a cattle dock, coal warf and weigh bridge, would these all be standard?

GW stuff is a bit out of my comfort zone as the only thing I really know about it is they had two bolt chairs and I only know this because me and my dad 'borrowed' a thrown away chair from Dyffryn when I was younger and it spent many a happy year in are garden. I was gutted the day I came home and my mum had white washed it :(

Any info or help on small yards would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Well after about a year or more I've made a start!! Bet no one thought that would happen ;) me included.

Thankfully with the station being up for sale it's dimensions where on the floor plan so having worked it out into 4mm I've done a rough outline to get the size of it. I also recon the platforms work out about 200' long so 800mm, it was about a loco an four coach lengths.

Main station building

6C9DCBDC-3CED-40BC-8999-CBA4C09256F0_zps

Estimated size of the platforms

0B5BCC51-2C39-422E-B680-8AC08C959672_zps

I've chopped a printed screen shot of the area to

C8718438-2E5D-41F4-8268-2A4872EA2E4F_zps

Cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well just spent an hour measuring out the base for the main station building but then realised I'm slightly out by 1.5mm so think I'll give up for tonight, modelling in the night when you've been up since 4.30 prob isn't a good idea!

Just need to order some plasticard, Slaters brick sheets, windows and doors for the buildings and some two bolt chairs from C&L then at least I can make a start in the track.

Cheers

• Like 1

Fantastic looking project here mate. From what you've said here and on your other thread I get the impression you're Not a million miles away from me (originally Runcorn now just round the corner from there). These trips into North Wales were the highlights of a summer and capturing the memories of it within a layout is like keeping that memory alive.

Lovely stuff!

John

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic looking project here mate. From what you've said here and on your other thread I get the impression you're Not a million miles away from me (originally Runcorn now just round the corner from there). These trips into North Wales were the highlights of a summer and capturing the memories of it within a layout is like keeping that memory alive.

Lovely stuff!

John

Thanks John, not far indeed, are you still that side of the water? Runcorn would be an interesting station to model surprised it's never been done, apart from the bridge which could be a bit difficult :O

I loved going to Wales as a kid and still do to be fare although with healthsnd safety there's no wandering down the line on Sunday's because there was no service.

There's something ago the countryside and railways though and hopefully I'll be able to capture that fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the kind words John.

Cheers

Thanks John, not far indeed, are you still that side of the water? Runcorn would be an interesting station to model surprised it's never been done, apart from the bridge which could be a bit difficult :O

I loved going to Wales as a kid and still do to be fare although with healthsnd safety there's no wandering down the line on Sunday's because there was no service.

There's something ago the countryside and railways though and hopefully I'll be able to capture that fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the kind words John.

Cheers

Yes I'm in Helsby now so still only 5 miles from Runcorn. I agree with you and from trawling the Internet I've some great pics of how the station area used to be. The bridge would be some effort but if done properly would be a superb model.

You're quite right, I am a regular volunteer these days at Llangollen as it's nice to go back and keep those memories alive.

Keep up the great work,

All the best

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just down the road then, I'm popping down to Widnes model centre in a few weeks to catch up with Barry, his shops great and not far from you we should try and bump into each other!!

I've never been to Llangollen I should try and take the Mrs and the baby there for a day out ;) I'd love to volunteer at ELR but just get the time, infact I'm still trying to get to the ELR after 20 years of trying!!

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

Just down the road then, I'm popping down to Widnes model centre in a few weeks to catch up with Barry, his shops great and not far from you we should try and bump into each other!!

I've never been to Llangollen I should try and take the Mrs and the baby there for a day out ;) I'd love to volunteer at ELR but just get the time, infact I'm still trying to get to the ELR after 20 years of trying!!

Cheers

Great idea! I've not been in there as yet and was planning to do so next time I'm that way. Would be a good time to go then. Send me a PM when your ready and il see what we can do!

Yes Llangollen is a must, the ELR is fabulous but the setting of Llangollen is second to none I'm sure you would enjoy it.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great idea! I've not been in there as yet and was planning to do so next time I'm that way. Would be a good time to go then. Send me a PM when your ready and il see what we can do!

Yes Llangollen is a must, the ELR is fabulous but the setting of Llangollen is second to none I'm sure you would enjoy it.

John

Sounds like a plan mate it'll be a few weeks as I've a couple of birthdays coming up but I'll pm you when I'm a bit more certain of a date ;) I'll try and bride the Mrs with a day in the country via Llangollen, forgive my stupidlty but do they have any lovely diesels? Sorry I'm not very well up on preserved lines apart from elr (I can see all the head shaking now :( )

Cheers

Sounds like a plan mate it'll be a few weeks as I've a couple of birthdays coming up but I'll pm you when I'm a bit more certain of a date ;) I'll try and bride the Mrs with a day in the country via Llangollen, forgive my stupidlty but do they have any lovely diesels? Sorry I'm not very well up on preserved lines apart from elr (I can see all the head shaking now :( )

Cheers

Yes good plan she'll love it too, nice town coffee shops horse drawn boat rides .....

They do have a number of diesels and do have diesel galas from time to time.

Class 03

Class 08

Class 08/10 Hybrid

Class 26

Class 37

And a 47.

So quite some stock.

That sounds about right as I work away on short sea voyages so a couple of weeks will probably be great. Nice one thanks.

John

• RMweb Gold

John that looks a good line up so I can see a family day out coming up ;) only an hour an ten min from ours to!

I'll be in touch about meeting up mate :)

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

I like this plan and will look forward too following it as it progresses. It reminds me of this layout: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47984-morfa-hwyl-fawr/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2169515

Lots of potential atmosphere 

Keith HC

Thanks Keith at first I thought it would be to simple but as I'm living out scenarios in my head I'm getting quite excited of the possibilities.

I've just checked out the link and that looks a great layout I'll have to read it properly thanks for that.

I'll try and measure out the station bulding again tonight second time lucky ;)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Been doing a bit on ELJ tonight but I've also cut out a template for the main station building foundations tonight, it's good to see the size of things and the more I do on this the more excited I am about it.

Tonight's progress

0F218A12-65E0-4A55-8F37-5F3463F61F0C_zps

I still need to add s bit more card to the far side and the small piece of card sticking out middle right needs to be trimmed as it's the bay window.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been struggling for time this week but here's a quick update from tonight.

A bit of work on part of the main station building.

37BFC82F-1720-4541-B1E2-0BA3CA74ACCC_zps

and I've been trimming windows for the waiting room.

827D3E08-0121-4D30-A782-091CF9432B55_zps

Really do like these windows from Lcut Creative, highly recommended :)

Cheers

• Like 2

I've been struggling for time this week but here's a quick update from tonight.

A bit of work on part of the main station building.

37BFC82F-1720-4541-B1E2-0BA3CA74ACCC_zps

and I've been trimming windows for the waiting room.

827D3E08-0121-4D30-A782-091CF9432B55_zps

Really do like these windows from Lcut Creative, highly recommended :)

Cheers

I have to say that I agree re the windows. They made me some arched windows for my version of Hellston engine shed, to my dimensions, and they really capture the feell of the original.

I am folllowing this thread with interest, having spent holidays, when 1st married in the 70s, camping down the track fro the level crossing. Wonderful using rover tickets for both the main and narrow guage lines.

All the best with the build.

TONY

Hi Paul,

Those L-Cut Creative windows look really good, I'll have to have a look if they do a variety of 7mm windows and doors.

We all struggle for time now and again, especially this last couple of weeks for me (you have a wonderful reason for not having any time!!!), but it all comes back around too!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that I agree re the windows. They made me some arched windows for my version of Hellston engine shed, to my dimensions, and they really capture the feell of the original.

I am folllowing this thread with interest, having spent holidays, when 1st married in the 70s, camping down the track fro the level crossing. Wonderful using rover tickets for both the main and narrow guage lines.

All the best with the build.

TONY

Thanks Tony, Dyffryn really is a wonderful place, especially in the 70's & 80's if you liked trains, but it's such a peaceful and relaxing place to stay or visit with a lovely beach to.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Those L-Cut Creative windows look really good, I'll have to have a look if they do a variety of 7mm windows and doors.

We all struggle for time now and again, especially this last couple of weeks for me (you have a wonderful reason for not having any time!!!), but it all comes back around too!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, I've not looked at the full range but they definitely do 7mm windows and doors etc and they normally arrive the next day, excellent service :)

Hope you get some modelling time to, I'll try an pop over in a couple of weeks for a catch up mate :) I've got my mojo fully back at the moment so just need to find the time now.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Now I've got the windows I need I've made a start on the waiting room, being small I'd rather build this first before the main station building, as seeing something finished will give me a huge boost!

So after counting planks, measuring and re-measuring (and yes I measured to high at first so I'll have to trim the bottom) I've marked and scribed out all the planks.

B81F06B6-5E5D-4EAB-B7DC-F596E27907CD_zps

49F7F774-1B17-4E21-AAE5-ED930297DC51_zps

The plan today, (small baby and SWMBO permitting) will be to get the window frames painted, cut out the front and I can then add the glazing and fit the windows.

Cheers

• Like 2