• RMweb Gold

A bit of slow progress over the past few nights, I wasn't entirely happy with how the plasticard looked after the cuts with a knife had made ridges either side of the timbers

664693CD-AFB8-4172-AAA8-CFF587905D4C_zps

So last night I re-did it but this time I scored it rather than cut down the timbers and it looked much better.

301195BA-858D-45F7-9F37-76642D986F50_zps

My only concern now is that the plasticard could be to thick as the windows look to sunk? I did however order some Slaters planked sheet yesterday so I might just put things on hold until I try that.

Thoughts much appriciated on this one gents.

Cheers

• Like 1

My only concern now is that the plasticard could be to thick as the windows look to sunk? I did however order some Slaters planked sheet yesterday so I might just put things on hold until I try that.

Cheers

Morning Paul,

Not knowing what the original building looked like doesn't help, but I would (not wood) agree that the windows, as nice as they look, appear to be set too far in.

I'm sure you'll get it done spot on in the end with your talents.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning Paul,

Not knowing what the original building looked like doesn't help, but I would (not wood) agree that the windows, as nice as they look, appear to be set too far in.

I'm sure you'll get it done spot on in the end with your talents.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, the only close up pic I've got pis this which isn't mine and was for sale on eBay (I'll happily remove if it upsets anyone)

2B0A70BF-E702-470E-9852-0FC81BA6984F_zps

I'm tempted to model the wonky windows but folk who haven't seen this pic will think I'm a dodgy modeller! :O think I'll hold out for the Slaters sheet and do it with that.

Thanks again for the compliments.

• Like 1

A bit of slow progress over the past few nights, I wasn't entirely happy with how the plasticard looked after the cuts with a knife had made ridges either side of the timbers

664693CD-AFB8-4172-AAA8-CFF587905D4C_zps

So last night I re-did it but this time I scored it rather than cut down the timbers and it looked much better.

301195BA-858D-45F7-9F37-76642D986F50_zps

Cheers

May make a few points.

1) What did you do differently to score vs cut the planking. It does look better.

2) Re windows - you ony have to set them that deeply if your glazing sheet is larger than the cutout.

If you trim the glazing to the actu window size, they coulld be inset by as little or as much as you like.

3) I have a theory that we tend to equate shallow windows wwith good, deepset bad. But in reality many

"industrial" buildings had quite some depth. Against this the foreshortening of photographs tends to take

away depth. I would be looking t get the feell rather than "right"

Keep it up you've made a good start.

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony, on the main station building the windows are set quite deep so the 1.5mm plasticard I've been using will be ideal, I just didn't think about this when I started on the shelter so I was thinking about trimming the glazing like you say to fit, so that's one option, I'm just wondering will the slaters timber sheet look better though as some of mine are a bit wonky, having said that the real one isn't entirely straight!

To score it I've just used an attachment that looks like the end of a sharp knitting needle that was in my cheap craft knife set, I'll take a photo for you tonight mate, I'm sure there's a proper technical term for it but 'sharp pointy thing' is what I was calling it last night.

Thanks again

That's an interesting shelter mate ,the

Planking looks straight the windows don't lol hope is it just the photo? If it's prototype then I hope your modelling the windows like that lol

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, I'm tempted to buy if I do and folk see it who don't know what the prototype looks like they'll think I'm rather cr@p at scratch building :(

Tony I'll get that pic of the scorer tonight I got a bit side trackered by ELJ last night.

Cheers

Thanks Brian, I'm tempted to buy if I do and folk see it who don't know what the prototype looks like they'll think I'm rather cr@p at scratch building :(

Tony I'll get that pic of the scorer tonight I got a bit side trackered by ELJ last night.

Cheers

Ha that's the good bit see look on there face when you pull picture out and prove it

• RMweb Gold

Ha that's the good bit see look on there face when you pull picture out and prove it

Haha your right there mate, that's if anyone gets to see it in flesh, always open to offers if anyone wants to see it, it'll be ready in about 2029 :O

Cheers

Haha your right there mate, that's if anyone gets to see it in flesh, always open to offers if anyone wants to see it, it'll be ready in about 2029 :O

Cheers

Shameful!!!!

2029? You'd better get your pencil sharpened as it needs to be on the circuit at least 10 years prior to that!!!!!

I'm sure with your modelling skills, it will look fantastic Paul, and that little Sutton 24 will be quite at home on Dyffryn too

Edited by Jintyman

• RMweb Gold

Shameful!!!!

2029? You'd better get your pencil sharpened as it needs to be on the circuit at least 10 years prior to that!!!!!

I'm sure with your modelling skills, it will look fantastic Paul, and that little Sutton 24 will be quite at home on Dyffryn too

Thanks David, hopefully it'll be good enough for the circuit if it get invited that is, think a couple more 24's will have to be purchased but they can wait till the 108's and 37's 47's 20's etc are re-wheeled having said that I think I'm picking up D338 tomorrow, least loco before operation re-wheel honest!!

Thanks again for the kind words.

• RMweb Gold

The Slaters timber sheet arrived today so the front is more or less complete, I'll add the fine details like the small window sills etc before painting.

The first pic shows the scorer I've been using

04084EA1-E2B6-4EBC-BC30-37BD910039F9_zps

And it comes in handy as scoring before cutting seems a lot better, the last pic is tonight's progress with the windows fitted.

03115C60-8C48-42E8-9502-55C9399BDF2D_zps

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Slaters sheet once again and far better than my effort.

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today's work seen the sides and back cut and windows fitted, I'm going to fit timbers to the inside to as well as benches.

1B352BFF-EF35-4E77-B8DC-FA84CB8917E9_zps

Also paid a visit to see Barry and Gill at Widnes Model Centre, so picked up a few bits n bobs and this.

365E3848-AAFF-4549-A7D9-E33F687B4335_zps

Lovely model soon to be re-numbered D326!

As always highly recommend Widnes Model centre, friendly staff and great selection of products.

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although no real full on modelling time I have been grabbing the odd 5-10-15 minutes here and there but I have to say I'm made up with what I've got done.

It's only placed together for a photo opportunity but it's looking ok. I've gave the top half of all the sides their first coat of white to and before it's assembled I'll be adding the small exterior and interior detail.

CA3E2989-704B-4E7C-B481-28F24512B27E_zps

3FF55123-9FD5-4EAE-A162-2CA238D3016F_zps

712F445F-1B26-4ED2-90EA-4EE641365839_zps

11AB4BA5-6A4D-45C0-B38C-BF251126B442_zps

72A89B60-BAD0-461F-A873-829A4318422A_zps

F8DAC9C2-A1BC-4C39-81A8-7F9FEA395F38_zps

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just had a quick ten minutes and I'm pretty happy with how it's looking, I'll add a cost of gloss white to the upper half tonight then all the exterior painting should be finished.

6CE509CD-D221-41B0-BE1D-8B823AAC9004_zps

77E7D09B-12ED-43E0-A92C-8BA8224BB696_zps

Next up will be painting the interior then adding the floor, benches and lighting.

Cheers

• Like 1

Just had a quick ten minutes and I'm pretty happy with how it's looking, I'll add a cost of gloss white to the upper half tonight then all the exterior painting should be finished.

6CE509CD-D221-41B0-BE1D-8B823AAC9004_zps

77E7D09B-12ED-43E0-A92C-8BA8224BB696_zps

Next up will be painting the interior then adding the floor, benches and lighting.

Cheers

What about adding the brambles?

I seem to recall the inside was overtaken with brambles invading from the back, in the late 70's.

Do you rally want a glos finish? At that time it was quite faded and weatherbeaten.

TONY

• RMweb Gold

What about adding the brambles?

I seem to recall the inside was overtaken with brambles invading from the back, in the late 70's.

Do you rally want a glos finish? At that time it was quite faded and weatherbeaten.

TONY

Thanks for the heads up on brambles, I'm modelling mid 60's so might make a few gaps in the back and add a few :) what was the inside like I can't rember? I'm just going to add a few benches on the back and side.

It was repainted in the early 60's to br blue but was thinking about gloss but I'm going to use satin white, then I can dirty it up ;)

Cheers

Hi nPaul

I have vague memories of the brambles, but little else. Probably because you couldn't do any more than stand in the doorway.

If pressed I would say there was an inbuilt bench along the back wall, but I don't recall it conyinuing around the corners.

But that was about 40 years ago!

Keep up the good work.

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony they sound like mean brambles!! Looking at the photos it looks a dark and gloomy shelter in it's later years with less windows and I think if it was anywhere else in the country it'd stink of pee, but I'm imagining it's smells of wood and the country (well my one does anyway ;) ) I must of been in there myself at some point but don't have any recollection of it. There where some mighty fine blackberry bushes along the line though.

I'm going to model the inbuilt bench on the back wall once the interior is painted.

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

In between baby feeds this morning the doors have been made.

I've used the Slaters planked sheet for the doors then cut out thin plasticard for beading.

091F884B-0E45-4D67-81AD-E1AE2102FD14_zps

D562681C-4F89-4A6B-9F4A-3FEF74E696FF_zps

D026B156-107D-4B6E-B188-F4A2D28988F6_zps

CFA0ADD6-416D-43B1-8143-3D7B4DD81405_zps

The paint on the edges just needs touching up and the lock fitting then I'll fit the flooring and make a start on the bench.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

30 min to myself so I've started on the seating. I haven't any idea how or what colour it was in real life but considering it won't really be seen I've made my own up.

0ABA6A7B-B454-420F-8EE7-0436CDAB6806_zps

D9BF8E76-0001-4E84-8F29-490D5CE97373_zps

4A37AFCD-91A8-45A2-8748-651450B5314D_zps

E011F86B-894F-49EF-8D17-658877FCD631_zps

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All assembled and I'm pretty pleased, the floor still needs weathering and a few timetables need adding before the roof goes on but overall I'm happy.

Still outside details to add and a few bits an pieces.

04E7A2C8-67EE-4AC6-9A6C-EA4B02C69BC4_zps

4399E694-906A-4F08-A3E8-CC093651D6EE_zps

48A74ABF-3A8F-4F52-9A14-83C2DEDCB8B8_zps

81F10EDC-02C3-4F1F-BA0A-02E28A170DA2_zps

528385A7-F95C-4309-98C1-E61111DAE0FC_zps

5A6436E8-F56C-496B-AA1B-4C9C42C5FA49_zps

Cheers

• Like 2