WIGAN EXHIBITION 2015 OCTOBER 3rd & 4th

Eaton

Now if the layout with the Vulcan had had a decent working sound system in that......we wouldn't have heard all those diesels!

I didn't realise it was a Star Trek convention too. "Illogical Captain".

P

Went to this great show yesterday afternoon, parking was a real problem as Wigan Athletic were playing at home so had to park on one of the streets of a nearby housing estate.

Had a Pizza Hut lunch before going into the show, which was very welcome as we were hungry when we arrived!

The exhibition itself was full of real quality layouts, and all for a good entrance fee. Those ones that stood out for me were:

Liverpool Lime St - a real spectacular scene, was amazed by the size of that scratch built station roof and the moving buses, taxis and trams plus the recorded station announcements made it really authentic.

Diesels in the Duchy - A great authentic scene of a Cornish loco depot with DCC sound chipped diesels. I know from reading some of the other comments that this annoyed other visitors, but for me it really made the layout and that sound on locos is one of the things that has really transformed our hobby for the better. 

I cannot remember the name of the layout, but a long scene depicting a mainline with nearby freight sidings. It was good to stand at the barrier at one end of the layout and just watch trains coming down the line from what felt like a long way away and see them pass you, just like trainspotting in real life!

The World's End - Real quality, just a simple track plan with trains seen running though a great urban scene with some fantastically made buildings and the viaduct was awesome!

Annan Road - A Scottish themed large engine shed full of grimy steam locos with a mainline running past. I felt that the weathering on this layout was really good which set the scene and the times of when BR steam was beginning to be coming to an end. 

Sam

Excellent exhibition with some outstanding layouts.  Lime Street, World's End and Calderwood floated my boat!

Catering arrangements very disappointing compared with previous years......long queues and no seats.

The 'free' [yellow gated] car parks were very much appreciated and certainly better than the £100 fine I picked up last year in the Retail Park.

However, congratulations to all the organisers, a good job well done......except for the food arrangements.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent exhibition with some outstanding layouts.  Lime Street, World's End and Calderwood floated my boat!

Catering arrangements very disappointing compared with previous years......long queues and no seats.

The 'free' [yellow gated] car parks were very much appreciated and certainly better than the £100 fine I picked up last year in the Retail Park.

However, congratulations to all the organisers, a good job well done......except for the food arrangements.

Did you find the second room, full of big round tables, with a secondary counter doing cold snacks and drinks and generally with plenty of spare seating (or it was the three times I went in)?

• RMweb Premium

I went yesterday and I felt a great Exhibtion.

Well done to the Wigan Exhibtion team

I did not find any problems with sound issues, but I do agree that locomotives in the fiddle yards should muted.

I do really think some people just like to whinge about something.

Well done Damian with Disels in the Ducey

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

I went yesterday and I felt a great Exhibtion.

Well done to the Wigan Exhibtion team

I did not find any problems with sound issues, but I do agree that locomotives in the fiddle yards should muted.

I do really think some people just like to whinge about something.

Well done Damian with Disels in the Ducey

Eltel

What would RMWeb be without the odd whinge now and then?

My views are purely my personal opinion. I don't expect everybody to agree but if they provoke a bit of a discussion about such matters, I don't think that is a bad thing.

Nearly everybody I spoke to at the show reckoned that the noise was an issue, so by raising it on here, perhaps it will just make one or two layout owners consider resetting their volume levels and whether they leave all the sound on all the locos all the time. Maybe it will and maybe it won't but if saying nothing about it gives the impression that everybody likes the noise at that level, I would rather say something.

My views are partly biased by a friend of mine who has very poor hearing and really finely adjusted and very expensive digital hearing aids. The frequency of the "whistle" from a Class 40 just makes his hearing aids scream in his ears and as a result, he hardly goes to shows any more. If the sound is turned down, he is fine with it.

As I said, I thought it was a cracking good show apart from my one niggle. I wasn't even put out at the number of more modern layouts, due to the quality. There was more than enough to keep a pre-grouping enthusiast happy for the whole day.

Tony

Well if it's a choice of either put up with whistling diesels or stand next to unwashed smelly people (of which there was quite a few) then it's the diesels for me !!!

Must admit though everyone was good mannered & friendly, even the smelly ones !!. I saw no pushing shoving or bad manners anywhere.

The best sounds were on Calcutta sidings, those trains roared past with a nice natural metallic wheel on rail whoosh sound and clickety clack over points and rail joints.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Well if it's a choice of either put up with whistling diesels or stand next to unwashed smelly people (of which there was quite a few) then it's the diesels for me !!!

Although for an accurate bit of BR Blue you need unwashed smelly diesels.

Another great Wigan show for me. A lot of modern layouts which isn't really my thing but a good layout is worth looking at whatever the era and there were plenty of those. I noticed the noise but didn't find it too intrusive.

The best sounds were on Calcutta sidings, those trains roared past with a nice natural metallic wheel on rail whoosh sound and clickety clack over points and rail joints.

Some of those trains sounded like they were going (appropriately) fast, not something you often get a chance to see (and hear). Watching them make their way through the fiddle yard was interesting enough in its own right.

My views are partly biased by a friend of mine who has very poor hearing and really finely adjusted and very expensive digital hearing aids. The frequency of the "whistle" from a Class 40 just makes his hearing aids scream in his ears and as a result, .......

I just don't wear my hearing aids.. to exhibitions, pubs and almost anywhere else.

I have come to the conclusion if that's the sound of the real world out there, it's dreadful..

But I can certainly relate to the 'screaming', I suspect your friend has the same problems with coffee machines in Pubs etc.,

• RMweb Premium

I just don't wear my hearing aids.. to exhibitions, pubs and almost anywhere else.

I have come to the conclusion if that's the sound of the real world out there, it's dreadful..

But I can certainly relate to the 'screaming', I suspect your friend has the same problems with coffee machines in Pubs etc.

He doesn't go out much at all now. He feels so left out of any conversation and is fed up of only hearing about one word in three.

He struggles so much to communicate with anybody if there is any background noise at all and he has to lipread.

It is very difficult to lipread and operate a layout at the same time, so he just doesn't enjoy exhibitions like he used to.

When he is on a layout, he can't hear when a fellow operator wants him to do something and block bells are way out of his hearing frequency range. He wasn't too keen when we suggested a block bell repeater made from electrodes attached to his body either!

The screaming caused by loud DCC sound turns a difficult situation into an intolerable one.

Still, clearly some folk think that such things are fine and if over the top DCC sound is to be a regular thing at shows, then our days exhibiting and attending shows are well and truly numbered (stop that cheering!).

Would like to thank all the organising team for their hard work on putting on a fantastic exhibition. The Outwell Village operators had a very enjoyable weekend. With many nice conversation with members of the public

Attended the show on Saturday even though Wigan where playing at home. I knew parking might be an issue but did what I normally do and park in the Events pay and display car park which is littered with signs that say ' Have you Paid and Displayed' Well after driving around the car park a couple of times without finding any payment machines and having consulted with other's who were also scratching their heads looking for somewhere to put some money  :scratchhead:  parked the car and walking along the front of the football ground without finding machines there either .... anyway got back to the car afterwards and found no tickets on the window so it must be a 'Wigan thing' 

Enjoyed the show... some good layouts to view and as normal had a good chat with friends old and new. Found the trade was to the normal high standard but was disappointed that 'Squires' were not there which was a shame. Agree with the comments about the catering but at least there are outlets in the retail park.

I think that considering the upheaval of moving the exhibition times the Wigan Group have done an excellent job and if it makes this time of year it's normal slot it will become the Wigan show of old. 

Just as a footnote (no pun intended) to the 'gentleman' in the wheelchair who ran over my left foot by Liverpool Lime Street without any sort of ' I'm sorry' I have suffered three broken toes' If you are reading this I will not be taking any legal action this time but you really should be more careful in the future.  :ireful:  

I went this morning with my dad - no traffic (from Lowton) or trouble with parking or queues to get in - nice.

Overall I (we) thought it was a very good show. The standards of modelling were exceptional.

There were some areas that I thought warranted some criticism - every show does I suppose - but they didn't detract unduly from the experience or feeling that we didn't  got value for money.

• The catering wasn't great IMHO - I know catering at shows has been argued over many many times but despite the fact it shouldn't really matter that much - to a lot of show goers I speak to it does. My dad is 80 - he likes a sit down and a brew. 
  • I liked "most" of the layouts - although there were some I walked passed without a second glance (my taste)
  • Some really good looking layouts were let down a bit by poor lighting or presentation - its a bit of a "thing" with me but good layout presentation (even more so at "big" shows I guess) is vitally important - some got it spot on though..
  • Not enough running - some layouts were better than others - c'mon guys I've paid me tenner - I wanna see trains - some great models were hidden in fiddle yards!
  • Would have liked more overseas stuff - (my taste.)

Hope that doesn't constitute too much whingeing (or constructive criticism - take it as you will)

As an organising club I would hope criticism or suggestions can only make other shows potentially even better still.

The positives - and there were many.

• Lots of room to circulate
  • Free programme - and a good one too.
  • Good trade
  • Great selection of demonstrators.

The layouts that really "did it for me"

Calderwood - wonderful "period piece"

Canada Street - super industrial atmos.

Diesels in the Duchy - great presentation guys.

Maesog - a lot in a tiny space - nice.

Worlds End - scenic modelling on the very highest level.

Margery Street - small interesting layouts are harder to build than first appears - this one does it well.

Oldshaw - see above.

Roundtree Sidings - something a tad different + nice modelling.

I didn't know there was a " best layout" award - can Sunday visitors not have a vote too?

We did enjoy our day out and its evident a tremendous amount of work went into presenting this premier show - we'll certainly be returning next year.

He struggles so much to communicate with anybody if there is any background noise at all and he has to lipread.

It is very difficult to lipread and operate a layout at the same time, so he just doesn't enjoy exhibitions like he used to.

I feel for your friend, I have good hearing but in any crowd with multiple voices and other background interruptions I cannot make out words either and it is terribly isolating.

I spent Saturday at the Severn Valley diesel gala. That taught me (reminded?) that different diesels sound different. So I left the SvR enthused for sound. I didn't find any problems with cross contamination at Wigan.

A great show. No gripes on anything. The lighting was great and demonstrates that sports halls needn't be dark. The layouts were all good. I appreciated lime street for the first time. It is an operators layout rather than a spectators and you have to watch the operation to appreciate it. The announcing added something.

Favourites include Calderwood and Canada street. Worlds End looked too clinical to me. It's good but it's just too pristine.

Well done all.

Must admit though everyone was good mannered & friendly, even the smelly ones !!. I saw no pushing shoving or bad manners anywhere.

The best sounds were on Calcutta sidings, those trains roared past with a nice natural metallic wheel on rail whoosh sound and clickety clack over points and rail joints.

Brit15

Perhaps you could make a choice with the great unwashed (funny how some people are obsessed with bringing this subject up)

You can always move away !

When you are in the same hall with incessant Class 20/40 whistlimg all day for 2 days perhaps your love for diesel sound might dimidish a little. (Don't get me wrong I do like the real things)

Is it mandatory that 7mm diesels have to sound proportionally louder than their smaller scale equals?

Perhaps you could make a choice with the great unwashed (funny how some people are obsessed with bringing this subject up)

You can always move away !

When you are in the same hall with incessant Class 20/40 whistlimg all day for 2 days perhaps your love for diesel sound might dimidish a little. (Don't get me wrong I do like the real things)

Is it mandatory that 7mm diesels have to sound proportionally louder than their smaller scale equals?

I did move away, several times. Unlike hearing aids you can't turn your nose off !! Not obsessed, but, like sound, it IS NOTICEABLE.

I understand the anger of those with sound though I am personally not bothered with sound. I don't have DCC or sound, never will have - too many locos, cost etc. But it is a nice development for those that do. An emotive subject - the sound was noticeable but I didn't mind. Some obviously do, so somehow the "problem" needs to be addressed. Perhaps all sound layouts in a separate hall, or all at one end of the hall etc ? - I don't know. You certainly can't please everybody.

I remember going every year to the Manchester Exhibition in the Corn Exchange near Victoria station in my youth. Always (like Wigan) a grand show, but, the big problem for me back then was cigarette smoke and watering eyes !!. Thankfully that is no more.

Unfortunately I didn't take my camera, but many did and I'm sure some one will post some pix. (Some exhibitors dislike people taking photos / flash) You can't win em all.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Brit15

Problem not limited to model railway shows.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/celtic/11869778/Smelly-Celtic-fans-told-to-improve-their-personal-hygiene-by-club-official.html

Archived