Chester Northgate Station (Layout of a Lifetime)maybe

gismorail

What a fine place to spend New Years Day Larry , Martin is an interesting chap and very enthusiastic in all things GWR. I'm sure his was interested in your plans. You must let me know when you next come up as your always welcome to call in for a cuppa, although a certain amount of building working is being undertaken at the moment but I can always find the Kettle !!!

All the very best for the New Year 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well as I'm getting Chester Northgate Shed ready for exhibition at Wigan for the end of September I thought I would share some of the progress with fellow members who might be interested in the trails and tribulations involved of exhibiting a layout before the critical eyes of the public. ( I hope it doesn't put anyone off exhibiting ) It was first shown at the Bala Lake Model Railway Show in May last year as it is a small local show it was an ideal chance to give the layout it's first public showing. Fortunately it ran without any major problems that the viewing public were aware of which I felt was a good start for a layout on it's first outing.

The first job has been to provide a more 'exhibition friendly' leg set up for the layout as the home made timber construction that I originally knocked together could well have supported base boards three times the weight but took a lot of time to put up and take down at a show and only really suitable for this particular layout so I was looking for a more universal set up for the future. 

After much searching I have opted for some metal trestle's supplied by 'Screwfix' at a cost of £24.99 each which might seem expensive but they are strong and sturdy and when one considers the value of a layout at today's prices are I believe a good investment in the long run. 

post-5136-0-04115500-1502054549.jpg     The kit of parts once the box has opened .......help needed me thinks  :scared:

post-5136-0-21864200-1502054563.jpg      This comes in the form of some fairly simple instructions even for me  :senile:

post-5136-0-87891300-1502054574.jpg      And with care and a quick count of the number of fingers left on each hand .......

post-5136-0-66802400-1502054586.jpg      Now for some usual 'Gismo' adjustments. I drilled some 10mm holes in the top frame

post-5136-0-10417600-1502054598.jpg      The idea was to extend the width of the load bearing frame a 33 inches to support base boards up                                                                                                    to this width. The other reason for this modification was so that the wooded base boards were 

post-5136-0-90075800-1502054606.jpg       resting on a wooded support rather than metal were there is always the chance of 'slippage' 

For the next update I will take some pictures of the trestle's in place under the layout. 

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 6

Well as I'm getting Chester Northgate Shed ready for exhibition at Wigan for the end of September I thought I would share some of the progress with fellow members who might be interested in the trails and tribulations involved of exhibiting a layout before the critical eyes of the public. ( I hope it doesn't put anyone off exhibiting ) It was first shown at the Bala Lake Model Railway Show in May last year as it is a small local show it was an ideal chance to give the layout it's first public showing. Fortunately it ran without any major problems that the viewing public were aware of which I felt was a good start for a layout on it's first outing.

The first job has been to provide a more 'exhibition friendly' leg set up for the layout as the home made timber construction that I originally knocked together could well have supported base boards three times the weight but took a lot of time to put up and take down at a show and only really suitable for this particular layout so I was looking for a more universal set up for the future. 

After much searching I have opted for some metal trestle's supplied by 'Screwfix' at a cost of £24.99 each which might seem expensive but they are strong and sturdy and when one considers the value of a layout at today's prices are I believe a good investment in the long run. 

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 001 (400x250).jpg     The kit of parts once the box has opened .......help needed me thinks  :scared:

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 002 (400x287).jpg      This comes in the form of some fairly simple instructions even for me  :senile:

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 004 (246x400).jpg      And with care and a quick count of the number of fingers left on each hand .......

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 003 (400x201).jpg      Now for some usual 'Gismo' adjustments. I drilled some 10mm holes in the top frame

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 005 (400x262).jpg      The idea was to extend the width of the load bearing frame a 33 inches to support base boards up                                                                                                    to this width. The other reason for this modification was so that the wooded base boards were 

attachicon.gifNorthgate legs 006 (385x400).jpg       resting on a wooded support rather than metal were there is always the chance of 'slippage' 

For the next update I will take some pictures of the trestle's in place under the layout. 

That looks superb mate, a couple of mates of mine use the Screwfix trestles for their Home Layouts, but Nick Pallet / Northpoint / Ashbourne Midland  / Heath Green / O Gauge Midland Ohio, and others, uses them at shows and there really good and strong, if not a little on the heavy side.

I still hope to get up to the Show for one of the days.

Virtually every layout in our clubroom uses these trestles - but we paid a lot less than the Screwfix price.  Sorry to say this but I paid £24.99 for a pair off the 'net, delivered.  It's well worth doing a bit of internet shopping around before buying.  I reckon they all come from the same factory wherever you buy them from.

Oh, I can't find that book I mentioned above.  It's somewhere in the house but, like a lot of things, has gone AWOL!

Edited by 5050

That looks superb mate, a couple of mates of mine use the Screwfix trestles for their Home Layouts, but Nick Pallet / Northpoint / Ashbourne Midland  / Heath Green / O Gauge Midland Ohio, and others, uses them at shows and there really good and strong, if not a little on the heavy side.

I still hope to get up to the Show for one of the days.

Hope you can get over to the show Andy ....soon find a controller to play with whilst your over .hehe.......

• Like 1

Virtually every layout in our clubroom uses these trestles - but we paid a lot less than the Screwfix price.  Sorry to say this but I paid £24.99 for a pair off the 'net, delivered.  It's well worth doing a bit of internet shopping around before buying.  I reckon they all come from the same factory wherever you buy them from.

Oh, I can't find that book I mentioned above.  It's somewhere in the house but, like a lot of things, has gone AWOL!

Grrrrrr just got that purple bricks feeling .......

I wouldn't expect anything else Martin, hahha

In fact you could do a live public backscene demo so bring your brushes and paint ......oh and dont forget your finger nails ....Will have to be plenty of grot and urban decay ......he he

Sorry about the trestle pricing..............

And the reference to 'the book' - it's not for here but another thread!  The old mind playing tricks with me!

Sorry about the trestle pricing..............

And the reference to 'the book' - it's not for here but another thread!  The old mind playing tricks with me!

No problems have picked myself up now .........I too have senor moments too .......seems to be happening more often though  :scratchhead:

No problems have picked myself up now .........I too have senor moments too .......seems to be happening more often though  :scratchhead:

As long as you don't forget to take them to the Show, NOW THAT would be a SENIOR MOMENT, hahhahha

As long as you don't forget to take them to the Show, NOW THAT would be a SENIOR MOMENT, hahhahha

To be honest Andy it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if I where to completely forget them and that would make me totally legless .... :jester:

One slight problem / gremlin that appeared at the first show that the layout attended was a fault within the power box that supplies the lighting and visual effects which require a DC power supply. I constructed  a home made power box which contains two mains to 16 AC volt transformer packs one of which supplies power to the tortoise point motors and the second for the accessories that require a DC power supply. I had made two AC to DC converter boards with bridge rectifiers and one of these had started to give a supply problem so I decided to replace them with a couple of commercial modules. I opted for the Brimal modules which are a nice tidy and compact units that can be used to convert the most common AC supply voltages of 5, 12v, 15v, 16v, 18v and 24v, these modules will handle all these voltages, and convert them into DC.

post-5136-0-20621300-1502263280.jpg               post-5136-0-64013200-1502263291.jpg

The two units fitted into the space where my home made converter boards where originally sited making a nice tidy set up which will hopefully give a good stable supply in the future. 

If anyone is interested in these type of converters a quick link to  www.Brimal.co uk  will find their web site as well the company advert in BRM monthly. 

Just a quick couple of pictures of the layout as I start to tidy up the scenery and of course have a bit of a play (oops mean operation practice) just to make sure that all systems are operating up to standard , you all understand I'm sure  :jester:

post-5136-0-33428000-1502279271.jpg

post-5136-0-98492100-1502279287.jpg

A mid morning scene at Chester Northgate 6D as C13  67436 on its home shed alongside  N5 's 69282 & 69362 both 0f Wrexham Rhosddu shed 6E

whilst the crews chat about the current topics of the day 

• Like 8

As well as work on the layout I have several locomotives to convert to DCC operation some of which will be sound fitted one of which is the Hornby Q6 Heavy Freight Locomotive, Now my self imposed rule as to which locomotives will appear on shed is that if I have evidence that it had been to Chester Northgate then it's allowed even better if I have photographic evidence. Now a Q6 would at first seem an unlikely visitor but I have had conversations with two people who can clearly remember seeing one there but unfortunately I have not be able to track down any photographs and therefore have no idea as to which number it was. They did at times work into Manchester via the Woodhead route so I have chosen a Leeds based locomotive numbered 63449 as a likely candidate. As to why it was visiting the Chester area is a mystery to be honest but it could have been used on the heavy ore trains from Bidston dock to John Summers steel works at Shotton or just filled in a freight duty due to a locomotive shortage whilst in the Manchester area.

I decided to go with the DC Kits sound product which uses the Zimo MX645R sound decoder and a  Supersound High Bass speaker which will have to be tender mounted due to it's size. 

I have taken some pictures of the installation for anyone who might be interested or might be thinking a doing something similar. 

post-5136-0-84043700-1502435914.jpg

Due to the fact that the Loco is DCC ready the installation only requires the dismantling of the tender 

and the first picture shows what space is available.

post-5136-0-21718100-1502437393.jpg

Putting the speaker alongside the base of the tender gives me some idea of the task ahead

and it is clear that the normal siting location will not accommodate this speaker.

post-5136-0-02719900-1502437679.jpg

So it's time to make some modifications to the internal structure of the model  :butcher:  :butcher:

With some careful work with a scalpel the back slope of the coal bunk has been removed 

to allow direct access into the back area of the chassis.

post-5136-0-51980600-1502437900.jpgg

The manufactured mounting for the eight pin connection has been cut away

to allow room for the speaker .

post-5136-0-46920800-1502438327.jpg

After further careful cutting and filing I finally manage to get the speaker to fit 

into the very back of the tender. 

post-5136-0-52068800-1502438538.jpg

At this stage I reassemble the tender and this picture shows how the mounting plate is now

position within the coal bunker 

post-5136-0-63691200-1502438707.jpg

Placing the Zimo decoder alongside the coal bunker gives me some idea of what space is available. 

post-5136-0-51444800-1502439162.jpg

I placed a double sided pad onto the mounting plate and fixed into the base of the coal bunker 

post-5136-0-79204700-1502439366.jpg

:butcher: Some further scalpel work to modify the plastic coal load  :butcher:

post-5136-0-15794700-1502439534.jpg

The front part of the coal moulding can then be carefully glued into place 

at the front end of the bunk area.

post-5136-0-72052000-1502439708.jpg

The speaker wires are soldered together and insulated using heat shrink then the decoder and wiring loom is 

carefully placed into the bunker space with the help of blue-tack to keep all wires within the space. 

post-5136-0-95053600-1502440050.jpg

And finally the top part of the coal moulding is replaced to cover the whole installation 

and all ready of testing. 

I will try and get some video footage to 'show off ' the installation. So another job completed and the locomotive is now ready for re-numbering and a weathering job  :sungum:

• Like 2

WOW Mate, bet that will sound awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks Andy hoping to do a quick you tube clip later today.....it did take a bit of courage to start hacking up a loco that cost me £118.00 but I'd committed the money to the sound project so it had to be done  :scared:

And that, folks, is one of the reasons I'm not going DCC.

Seeing all those wires, fiddly soldering and hacking away to achieve a fit is not for me!

OK, so I'm a luddite..............................

BTW, the N5's you've got, I have 69362 marked off in my ABC so I must have seen it at Wrexham but 69282 isn't even listed in either of my '56/'58 Combines so it must have been withdrawn quite early.  The J39 I mentioned above (some time ago, sorry!) was probably 64717 as it is the only one underlined in my '56 edition.  I saw it at Wrexham Central in the goods yard sidings.  A Gorton engine.

• Like 1

Seeing all those wires, fiddly soldering and hacking away to achieve a fit is not for me!

BTW, the N5's you've got, I have 69362 marked off in my ABC so I must have seen it at Wrexham but 69282 isn't even listed in either of my '56/'58 Combines so it must have been withdrawn quite early.  The J39 I mentioned above (some time ago, sorry!) was probably 64717 as it is the only one underlined in my '56 edition.  I saw it at Wrexham Central in the goods yard sidings.  A Gorton engine.

It's what grabs you this sound thing so each to their own is right in my book. 69282 was sheded at Rhosddu from August 1950 until July 1958 Both locos were with drawn in August of that year. 

It's what grabs you this sound thing so each to their own is right in my book. 69282 was sheded at Rhosddu from August 1950 until July 1958 Both locos were with drawn in August of that year. 

Interesting.  I have the Summer 1956 Combine and 69282 is not listed, only '81 and '83.  It isn't in the 1958 Shed Book which has allocations dated up to 10th May '58 and definitely not in the Summer '58 Combine.  I reckon that if I had seen it and it wasn't in the ABC then I would have written something in there to 'add' it.  Keeping an accurate tally of your 'cops' was very important in the bragging stakes with your mates.

Edited by 5050

A 28mm speaker would have fitted into the Hornby speaker enclosure. Undo a couple of screws, solder in a couple of wires, seal round the speaker - job done. Although, I expect the way Martin's done it, it will sound better. Trevor

Edited to correct typos.

Edited by shedman

You know me too well Trevor always looking to be different  :sungum: Having got the Locoman sound unit in my 8F I thought as the Q6 was such a wonderful model it was worth have a little something extra in the tender .........see what you think ....... although I do need to tidy up the CV settings yet to get the best out of the project 

https://youtu.be/MilwvCQmgQU