Chester Northgate Station (Layout of a Lifetime)maybe

gismorail

You know me too well Trevor always looking to be different  :sungum: Having got the Locoman sound unit in my 8F I thought as the Q6 was such a wonderful model it was worth have a little something extra in the tender .........see what you think ....... although I do need to tidy up the CV settings yet to get the best out of the project 

https://youtu.be/MilwvCQmgQU

Hi Martin, you have to make the video 'public' so we can hear it!!!

• RMweb Premium

As well as work on the layout I have several locomotives to convert to DCC operation some of which will be sound fitted one of which is the Hornby Q6 Heavy Freight Locomotive, Now my self imposed rule as to which locomotives will appear on shed is that if I have evidence that it had been to Chester Northgate then it's allowed even better if I have photographic evidence. Now a Q6 would at first seem an unlikely visitor but I have had conversations with two people who can clearly remember seeing one there but unfortunately I have not be able to track down any photographs and therefore have no idea as to which number it was. They did at times work into Manchester via the Woodhead route so I have chosen a Leeds based locomotive numbered 63449 as a likely candidate. As to why it was visiting the Chester area is a mystery to be honest but it could have been used on the heavy ore trains from Bidston dock to John Summers steel works at Shotton or just filled in a freight duty due to a locomotive shortage whilst in the Manchester area.

W A Brown's wartime spotting notes (as reproduced in Steam over Woodhead by E.M.Johnson) show that Q6s were common on the CLC at that point in time. A book called Wartime Woodhead even features a Q7 and Q6 doubleheading back to the north east. Post-war Selby Q6s turned up in Manchester regularly (both Steam over Woodhead and Woodhead Part 2 by E.M. Johnson show Selby Q6s on the Woodhead route. The shedbash website also records one or two Selby Q6s on Gorton shed in the corresponding 1950/1 period. That will certainly be my excuse for a Q6 having been borrowed and headed west over the CLC!

Simon

As well as work on the layout I have several locomotives to convert to DCC operation some of which will be sound fitted one of which is the Hornby Q6 Heavy Freight Locomotive, Now my self imposed rule as to which locomotives will appear on shed is that if I have evidence that it had been to Chester Northgate then it's allowed even better if I have photographic evidence. Now a Q6 would at first seem an unlikely visitor but I have had conversations with two people who can clearly remember seeing one there but unfortunately I have not be able to track down any photographs and therefore have no idea as to which number it was. They did at times work into Manchester via the Woodhead route so I have chosen a Leeds based locomotive numbered 63449 as a likely candidate. As to why it was visiting the Chester area is a mystery to be honest but it could have been used on the heavy ore trains from Bidston dock to John Summers steel works at Shotton or just filled in a freight duty due to a locomotive shortage whilst in the Manchester area.

I decided to go with the DC Kits sound product which uses the Zimo MX645R sound decoder and a  Supersound High Bass speaker which will have to be tender mounted due to it's size. 

I have taken some pictures of the installation for anyone who might be interested or might be thinking a doing something similar. 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 002 (500x375).jpg

Due to the fact that the Loco is DCC ready the installation only requires the dismantling of the tender 

and the first picture shows what space is available.

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 003 (500x429).jpg

Putting the speaker alongside the base of the tender gives me some idea of the task ahead

and it is clear that the normal siting location will not accommodate this speaker.

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 004 (500x469).jpg

So it's time to make some modifications to the internal structure of the model  :butcher:  :butcher:

With some careful work with a scalpel the back slope of the coal bunk has been removed 

to allow direct access into the back area of the chassis.

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 006 (500x349) (2).jpgg

The manufactured mounting for the eight pin connection has been cut away

to allow room for the speaker .

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 007 (500x285).jpg

After further careful cutting and filing I finally manage to get the speaker to fit 

into the very back of the tender. 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 008 (500x367).jpg

At this stage I reassemble the tender and this picture shows how the mounting plate is now

position within the coal bunker 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 009 (500x491).jpg

Placing the Zimo decoder alongside the coal bunker gives me some idea of what space is available. 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 010 (500x304).jpg

I placed a double sided pad onto the mounting plate and fixed into the base of the coal bunker 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 011 (480x500).jpg

:butcher: Some further scalpel work to modify the plastic coal load  :butcher:

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 012 (500x395).jpg

The front part of the coal moulding can then be carefully glued into place 

at the front end of the bunk area.

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 013 (500x254).jpg

The speaker wires are soldered together and insulated using heat shrink then the decoder and wiring loom is 

carefully placed into the bunker space with the help of blue-tack to keep all wires within the space. 

attachicon.gifQ6 chipping 014 (500x214).jpg

And finally the top part of the coal moulding is replaced to cover the whole installation 

and all ready of testing. 

I will try and get some video footage to 'show off ' the installation. So another job completed and the locomotive is now ready for re-numbering and a weathering job  :sungum:

Hi Martin.

Many thanks for posting that. Based on your pictures I've just ordered a Locoman West Country sound chip and Supersound Hi Base speaker from 'Charlie' (DC-Kits) for WC 'Camelford'.

Obviously a must have for our layout 'Camel Quay'.

Looking forward to seeing the layout at 'Wigan'.

Ray.

W A Brown's wartime spotting notes (as reproduced in Steam over Woodhead by E.M.Johnson) show that Q6s were common on the CLC at that point in time. A book called Wartime Woodhead even features a Q7 and Q6 doubleheading back to the north east. Post-war Selby Q6s turned up in Manchester regularly (both Steam over Woodhead and Woodhead Part 2 by E.M. Johnson show Selby Q6s on the Woodhead route. The shedbash website also records one or two Selby Q6s on Gorton shed in the corresponding 1950/1 period. That will certainly be my excuse for a Q6 having been borrowed and headed west over the CLC!

Simon

Many thanks for that information as it just further confirms that my two sources about a Q6 being spotted on 6D in the mid fifties. I was fairly confident on one as he is not a person who is know to imagine something that never happened. Would be nice to find what it was exactly doing there so I will keep digging.  :sungum:

Hi Martin.

Many thanks for posting that. Based on your pictures I've just ordered a Locoman West Country sound chip and Supersound Hi Base speaker from 'Charlie' (DC-Kits) for WC 'Camelford'.

Ray.

Glad the post was of use Ray it just takes a bit of courage to make the first cut. You should be impressed with the sound quality which will make the risk worth while Best of Luck . Make sure you introduce yourself at Wigan  :sungum:

As I'm about to start doing some airbrush work in the next couple of days on some locomotives that I have just been re-numbering I thought I would share a rather handy way of mixing paint without the need to spend ages stirring the pot and also eliminating the risk of spillage.....

It basically involves taping a pot of modelling paint to an 'Oscillating' multi tool and using the vibrating blade to mix the paint .....like the one in the following picture.

post-5136-0-51465300-1502840501.jpg

post-5136-0-23732000-1502840703.jpg

:sungum: You simply switch on the tool and it mixes the paint for you  :sungum:

If you go on you tube and search 

What's neat - Nov 2016 column | Model railroad tips | Model Railroad Hobbyist | MRH

• Like 3

My mate put a small Nut in a pot of Railmatch once as an agitator, as the Paint mixed and got thin, the nut moved about more, eventually SHATTERING the Pot, hahha,  :O Railfreight Grey everywhere. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

My mate put a small Nut in a pot of Railmatch once as an agitator, as the Paint mixed and got thin, the nut moved about more, eventually SHATTERING the Pot, hahha,  :O Railfreight Grey everywhere. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Small ball bearings could be better? 

No problem with a tin shattering.

• 11 months later...

Are there any more plans to exhibit the layout? It would be wonderful to see it in the flesh.

I did have interest from a couple of clubs to exhibit it again but nothing confirmed as yet. Hornby magazine want an article which I'm still to write when I get time 

• Like 1

I did have interest from a couple of clubs to exhibit it again but nothing confirmed as yet. Hornby magazine want an article which I'm still to write when I get time 

Will it be set up for November, or will the Shed be FULL of O Gauge mate?

hIYA Andy set up at the moment  :sungum: O gauge going on lower level American HO  on higher level  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

And the T, Z, N and Garden Railway? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin. Don't seem to be able to get into Chumley End anymore. Have you removed it? Trevor

I've just searched as well Trevor, but with no joy, what is he up to????? :no:  :no:  :no:  :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

• 1 month later...

Good to have a catch up on this thread, as my next project will hopefully be ex GC in the Wrexham area (possibly a small part of the old WMCQR). In spite of few photos of the old terminus at Brymbo, it will be loosely based upon that station, with the geography slightly rearranged! 

• Like 2

Good to have a catch up on this thread, as my next project will hopefully be ex GC in the Wrexham area (possibly a small part of the old WMCQR). In spite of few photos of the old terminus at Brymbo, it will be loosely based upon that station, with the geography slightly rearranged! 

A very interesting area to model around Brymbo plenty of freight around of all sorts.  

• Like 1

It's been over a year now since the Chester Northgate Shed layout has been operated so I have over the last couple of weeks been trying to remember how it all goes together  :scratchhead: mainly what set of leads connect to where etc. The good news is that it all seems to be working well which is perhaps down to the high build quality which I achieved in the construction and I'm pleased that I put the extra effort in at the time. 

It was the Wigan Show last year when I last ran any loco's and it has been good see some activity on shed.

post-5136-0-94951000-1540683040_thumb.jpg

Early turn loco staff have a quick chat before starting their duties on a couple of the resident ex GCR 0-6-2T N5's which were still in service from the shed up to as late as 1959 for a couple of locomotives.

• Like 3

It's been over a year now since the Chester Northgate Shed layout has been operated so I have over the last couple of weeks been trying to remember how it all goes together  :scratchhead: mainly what set of leads connect to where etc. The good news is that it all seems to be working well which is perhaps down to the high build quality which I achieved in the construction and I'm pleased that I put the extra effort in at the time. 

It was the Wigan Show last year when I last ran any loco's and it has been good see some activity on shed.

attachicon.gifSept 18 022 (900x538).jpg

Early turn loco staff have a quick chat before starting their duties on a couple of the resident ex GCR 0-6-2T N5's which were still in service from the shed up to as late as 1959 for a couple of locomotives.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty next week Martin, and having a play, it may give me some ideas, hahah. :no:

I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty next week Martin, and having a play, it may give me some ideas, hahah. :no:

Looking forward to your visit Andy I think you will enjoy playing with my 'Dirty Ladies' 

post-5136-0-79580000-1540720551_thumb.jpg  

A regular visitor to the shed is this J39 nos 64743 based at Gorton Shed Manchester 

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 2

Guest Mancunian

Hi Martin.

Ray.

The Hi-Bass is very good but the loco' would sound even better with two Hi-Bass speakers in parallel...Awsome sound!!

I sneaked down to Chester Northgate shed today and being a Sunday I knew that the shed master wouldn't be around so there was a good chance of getting fairly close up shots . 

post-5136-0-89724600-1540761990_thumb.jpg

As I approached the shed I noted that an 8F  was just about to pull off the main shed area 

post-5136-0-41299400-1540761951_thumb.jpg

As I got nearer a Stainier 2-6-4 tank 42449 (Northwich loco )had just pulled underneath the ash pit which still has the old wartime black out shed and the fireman was just about to drop the fire into the pit. 

post-5136-0-55006900-1540762440_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-56251200-1540762525_thumb.jpg

Once the fire had been dropped the loco ran over to the turn table for turning and just had enough steam to run onto the shed ready for maintenance on the Sunday evening shift . It'll be more than likely on a Chester to Manchester Central passenger in the morning . 

Edited by gismorail
  • Like 2