Alternative source of track foam underlay

Afternoon All

So I'm sitting here at work armchair modelling (its a very very quiet day today) thinking about a new layout sometime this year, I've been looking into using underlay in my next layout simply due to the fact I can keep ballasting to a minimum and possibly finish a layout (1 out of 6 attempts finished). Unfortunately underlay can be pricey, but I've just had a laptop battery for a customer arrive and its wrapped in a sheet of foam about 7mm thick  its already a dark grey colour, its in plentiful supply (IT shops) and would probably be happy to take some texture if you wanted to make it look a bit more real. just wondered what other peoples thoughts were? I will get a picture asap 

• RMweb Gold

Hi from just down the road. I have never used foam on a layout. But members from my old club have they all say after time it falls apart. 

The underlay that disintegrates after a while is the Peco stuff, which is an open-cell type of foam.  Best underlay to use is closed-cell foam which does not have this problem.  The Woodland Scenics range is of this type, but quite pricey from Hatton's.  Alternatively buy it in large sheets such as Plastazote from here - http://www.thamesvalleysupplies.co.uk/rubber-item.php?key=261

7mm thickness would look a bit wrong on OO gauge - 3mm or 5mm is better.

Archived