Great Central Railway news

andyram

• 9 months later...

Apologies if I am hijacking the thread for selfish reasons, but on rummaging through my late father's files I have discovered a share certificate from the 1990s for a few thousand shares in the GCR PLC. 

As executor to his estate, I need to calculate monetary values of such things for Inheritance Tax purposes. Would anyone know the value of 1 share in the railway? I have looked on the website, but it only really mentions donating shares to them. That may come later, but I am not in a position to do so at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Apologies if I am hijacking the thread for selfish reasons, but on rummaging through my late father's files I have discovered a share certificate from the 1990s for a few thousand shares in the GCR PLC. 

As executor to his estate, I need to calculate monetary values of such things for Inheritance Tax purposes. Would anyone know the value of 1 share in the railway? I have looked on the website, but it only really mentions donating shares to them. That may come later, but I am not in a position to do so at the moment. 

GCR Shares have a purchase price of 25p per share and they are still available for purchase from the PLC at that rate - or were last year when I bought some more as a means of supporting the line during Covid.

In other words, they aren't really worth anything for resale as they are still available from the Company!

• Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

GCR Shares have a purchase price of 25p per share and they are still available for purchase from the PLC at that rate - or were last year when I bought some more as a means of supporting the line during Covid.

In other words, they aren't really worth anything for resale as they are still available from the Company!

Thanks very much. That is great. 

Not really news but a bit of promotion if someone is looking for something slightly different to do.

Last Tuesday the wife booked us onto the afternoon tea train. 

Nice trip in first class with sandwiches and, I know this will interest a good many people on rmweb going by previous comments, lots of cakes!

After we thought we'd finished they then brought out the scones, jam and clotted cream:good:.

Wife didn't appreciate my trying to make conversation regarding jam or cream first:crazy_mini:

Regular refills of tea and coffee too.

If you want to make a day of it your ticket functions as a day runabout as well.

Edited by great central
Add sentance
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2021 at 16:59, jonny777 said:

With regard to the value of the shares for probate purposes I suggest you contact the Company Registrars or Company Secretary as they are unlisted shares and valuing them is rather akin to walking across a minefield.

How to value 'unlisted' stocks and shares

Unlisted shares are shares in a private company. They are not listed on a recognised stock exchange and they aren't offered to the general public. Many family businesses are private companies.

You can't use the nominal value of the shares for your valuation unless it accurately reflects the open market value. So if the nominal value of the ordinary shares in the company is £1, the nominal value of 1,000 ordinary shares is £1,000 - but this is unlikely to be the market value of the shares.

Because there's no active open market for most unlisted shares, you should look at information normally available to shareholders such as the company's accounts and performance status and consider the following factors to help you decide the value:

the value of the company's assets

the economic background when the person died

the size of the shareholding and the shareholders' rights

the company's dividend policy

However you may also need to contact the company secretary or accountant to find out the market value of unlisted shares.

The Registrars can be contacted by writing to The Registrar, Great Central Railway PLC, Great Central Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE1 1RW whilst the Company Secretary can be found by writing to the same address but addressing the letter to The Company Secretary.