Great Central Railway news

andyram

The GCRN welcomes its new guest steam loco for Easter , 'Douglas', an 0-6-0 Hunslet with tender, formerly a real J94. Look forward to seeing it on the climb to Barnstone Tunnel and hoping it resembles a J10 from some angles!

Dava

All it really needs are some bigger wheels....

... I'm hoping the GCRN give it a cheeky repaint in GCR freight loco livery.

Edited by James Harrison

no doubt one layout at least at the York exhibition on the Sunday will have a coal wagon full of mini easter eggs.

I'm half tempted to bring one and try to sneak it on various odd sidings now...

(Don't worry, I've no intention of taking a chance of wasting mini eggs like that!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did you know you can sign up for the Great Central Railway excellent weekly 'Railmail' e-newsletter for free, to get the latest GCR event and loco news? There is also one called 'Totally Chuffed' for families.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/newsletter/

Meanwhile, 'Steam Railway' this month has the fundraising appeal for the Canal Bridge project which has already topped 130k so far this year; a news item on the possible lower-cost but nicer looking Leicester North railway museum [you'll have to wait for details]; and the backstory on Leicester's first railway museum in a tram depot...now home to preserved buses.

Meanwhile 73156 should be back in steam for the 'Goods Galore Gala' on 12-13 May - cool [bearings] we hope. A record SIX goods trains in operation. Not far from the equally brill Derby Model Railway Exhibition, so make a weekend of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visiting 33035 is definitely in better exterior condition than home based D6535 which is [over?]due a repaint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The latest ''MainLine' magazine [issue 175 for collectors] has the interesting news of a proposed replacement for the GCR loco works and depot at Loughborough which solves 3 problems if not more.

The life-expired building occupies the centre roads of the former mainline, so a deviation would be required around it. The solution is to demolish the life-expired 40 year old structure [former aircraft hanger] and replace it with a new build of similar size on the north side [or left when viewed from Loughborough station]. That clears the way for a double track line up to and potentially beyond the Canal Bridge, the subject of our appeal which has now raised over £130,000 of the target £450,000. So: a new depot, fit for purpose; double track main line, restored; and no more questions about 'where will the shed go/what happened to Workington shed?' etc.

The annual GCR Model Event, one of the finest in the Midlands, is on 15-17 June and the Friends of the GC MainLine and Bridge layout will be there - come visit! And donate to bridge the gap.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/modelevent/

Dava

I was up there recently (doing a driver experience in fact, which I recommend to anyone considering such a thing), and it seems to me that there are many steam locos on site, every single one of which is pointing south.

My question is why would that be? Coincidence or does it provide an actual benefit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was up there recently (doing a driver experience in fact, which I recommend to anyone considering such a thing), and it seems to me that there are many steam locos on site, every single one of which is pointing south.

My question is why would that be? Coincidence or does it provide an actual benefit?

It seems to be a tradition that they are 'heads up' facing towards London, possibly because they look better that way. Sometimes one comes back from hire facing north and of course there is a turntable to rotate most of them. Personally speaking, a north-facing tank loco makes a pleasant change, especially on gala weekends.

• RMweb Premium

As the line is relatively straight, flange wear shouldn't be an issue, so they can all face one way. I checked back through my images and sure enough they all face south. There is a turntable at Quorn, so they could face either way, and visiting locos could be offloaded the other way.

Now one theory, if the line is uphill all or most of the way to Leicester, then the water in the boiler is where it should be for more efficient running if facing south.

Dave

As the line is relatively straight, flange wear shouldn't be an issue, so they can all face one way. I checked back through my images and sure enough they all face south. There is a turntable at Quorn, so they could face either way, and visiting locos could be offloaded the other way.

Now one theory, if the line is uphill all or most of the way to Leicester, then the water in the boiler is where it should be for more efficient running if facing south.

Dave

The line is fairly flat with very minor gradients although I would suggest the fiercest gradient faces north bound trains just outside Leicester North.

I can't remember the source but I believe it was something to do with it being more popular with photographers and photo charter organisers when they are facing south.

Interesting to note that most of the plans for the original Leicester museum had a turntable and Ruddington in theory would end up with a turning triangle.

In case people are not aware, the popular War weekend / 1940's event takes place over the weekend, starting tomorrow. The loco roster is still to be announced. On Saturday there is due to be a flypast by a BBMF Spitfire, with the Dakota providing the Poppy drop on Sunday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In case people are not aware, the popular War weekend / 1940's event takes place over the weekend, starting tomorrow. The loco roster is still to be announced. On Saturday there is due to be a flypast by a BBMF Spitfire, with the Dakota providing the Poppy drop on Sunday.

Plus a Red Arrows flypast timed for 6.13 pm on Sunday evening at Quorn & Woodhouse, apparently!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone who might want a different shot then, The 'Brit' 70013 is currently facing the other way, north.

I saw it pass the 9F between Swinford loop and Rothley this morning from the Met Cam set, both running forwards.

Dave

A couple from the Model Railway event today.  Some seriously impressive large steam power - not often I can truthfully say that I like the rain, but it certainly help with the atmospherics this morning:

post-10582-0-16052300-1529182992_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-64675500-1529183015_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-62670500-1529183029_thumb.jpg

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 8

I can't remember the source but I believe it was something to do with it being more popular with photographers and photo charter organisers when they are facing south.

Interesting to note that most of the plans for the original Leicester museum had a turntable and Ruddington in theory would end up with a turning triangle.

Certainly, it was always acknowledged to be much more challenging to photograph trains travelling north, given that it would almost always involve shooting "against the light": particularly in winter months when the sun is low in the sky.  This is not to deny that dramatic effects can be produced with skill and luck.