Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

£250,000 has been raised for the Canal bridge rebuild project since its launch in January which is over 50% of the total required, so this project will start this winter. Excellent progress towards the GCR reunification. Keep giving.

Dava

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Also starring Thompson B1 1264 running as 1251 Oliver Bury in LNER lined black, plus the home team. 'Friends' of the GCML on Loughborough platform, come & buy a 2019 calendar!

A colossal 4-day gala, 4-7 Oct. Unbelievable numbers of train movements over the weekend. Lots of freight trains. Ride behind 70013 for nearly the last time prior to overhaul. Drink beer, have breakfast....

Details : http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/autumn-steam-gala/

Dava

• Like 2

I came up on Saturday and had an enjoyable afternoon, regardless of the weather.  Were the signalling issues a weekend-long thing?- we seemed about half an hour out of step with the timetable on the Saturday. 

It quickly became 15 minutes late then 35 minutes as the day progressed. They were maintaining the 'sequence' regardless of exact timekeeping. The cause appeared to be the Section Signal on the Up line leaving Loughborough which had a Flag Man n attendance with trains being stopped and then proceeding with caution under a Yellow flag.

• 5 weeks later...

Went down to the GCR last night for the bonfire, which once again was excellent and highly recommended. 

Was rather pleased with one of my photos...

post-13109-0-27879000-1541542939_thumb.jpg

The railway takes on a rather ghostly feel in the dark with all the smoke.

post-13109-0-79427600-1541543133_thumb.jpg

Was good to see the railway being used by a lot of people who probably wouldn't normally visit it too (It was very well attended).

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Photo of 70013 reminds me of the late Colin Garratt's night photos of Brits at Carlisle at the end of steam.

Likely to be one of - but not the last - 'in service' night photos of Cromwell before withdrawn for overhaul - the 'Last Hurrah' is coming up 17-18 Nov.

Cromwell's final run will be on 31.12.18 before the boiler ticket runs out at midnight!

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking on the GCR website and there is no mention of the end of January Winter Steam Gala that I have enjoyed the last few years. I do hope it is just that I am going blind and not that there will not be one in 2019.

Just been looking on the GCR website and there is no mention of the end of January Winter Steam Gala that I have enjoyed the last few years. I do hope it is just that I am going blind and not that there will not be one in 2019.

It was advertised on the back of the autumn gala guide. If I find my copy I'll post the dates here.

• RMweb Premium

It was advertised on the back of the autumn gala guide. If I find my copy I'll post the dates here.

I just put GCR Winter Gala into Google and it found the page in Special Events on the website, so I now have all the details I need but going to the website and then clicking on Special Events theWinter Gala is not shown. I fear they have a slight whoops on the website!

EDIT:- Just went back to the Winter Gala page to find that it is the 2018 Gala and not the 2019 Gala. I must visit Specsavers again!

SECOND EDIT:- Just phoned the GCR and there was no one to take my call but have left a message and will advise the outcome when they call me back.

Edited by Chris116

• RMweb Premium

Just found my copy of the autumn gala guide. The winter gala is listed as 25th-27th January.

I have just had a call from the GCR and they confirmed those dates. They are in the process of updating the website so it is just that I was a bit early!

• RMweb Premium

The Great War Great Central commemoration event at Quorn this weekend is a touching and well staged occasion with local history groups.

post-14654-0-10504700-1541881571.jpg

post-14654-0-56954500-1541882712_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-02014000-1541881681_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-70873300-1541881715_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-24889600-1541881755_thumb.jpg

The horse detachment, Old Bill bus and display in the 'tin shed' are all thought provoking contributions. There are commemoration events tomorrow at the station and in Quorn village.

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 9

I remember seeing at the tank museum in Bovington that the dimensions of the early tanks (land ships) were defined in no small amount by the size when sat on a rail wagon. The gun side pod things (forget the proper name now) were detachable for just that reason.

I remember seeing at the tank museum in Bovington that the dimensions of the early tanks (land ships) were defined in no small amount by the size when sat on a rail wagon. The gun side pod things (forget the proper name now) were detachable for just that reason.

Sponsons - with a max speed at 3.7mph getting them anywhere near the front would've taken months without rail transport. The width of early tanks was (as you've said) a function of the railway loading gauge, whilst the length in many ways dictated the breadth of trench/ditch/obstacle they could cross, but still had to fit on rail transport.

• RMweb Premium

The GCR 'Last hurrah of the season' gala this weekend is always an enjoyable occasion, this year with 6 steam + 1 diesel locos, freight & van trains, and 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' out for the last weekend before the very last run on 31.12.18.

Best railway breakfast in the business on the Griddle car, and many other attractions.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/last-hurrah-of-the-season/

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

45305 is gleaming and back in traffic on the GCR this weekend. Looked stunning double-heading 70013 on the vans. More on Sunday....

Dava

An excellent couple of days at the GCR 'Last Hurrah' over the weekend. The weather (after gloomy starts!) was brilliant and the locos all looked superb, especially 45305 and 73156. The timetable was excellent with plenty of action throughout both days. Numbers seemed reasonable although a few others commented that the numbers of lineside photographers seemed down particularly given the weather which was as forecast.

One piece of news I picked up is that the railway may well withdraw the issuing of lineside permits at the end of the year. This is rather sad although not completely surprising in today's risk averse culture and Im sure it will result in loss of revenue for the railway since other photters I spoke to said that access to the lineside for photography was one of the main reasons for coming to the railway.

Anyway, thanks once again to all involved at the GCR for running another wonderful event. I'll post some images on Flickr in due course. Andy. 

If they stop lineside passes it means they go along with the trend. West Somerset railway, South Devon railway and gloustershire and Warwickshire railway have all stopped issuing them to name just a few

Yes, the feeling at the GCR over the weekend is that all heritage railways are finding it difficult to allow what are in effect members of the public, onto the trackside even if completion of PTS certification is a requirement. In the event of any incident, it would be difficult for a railway to defend this practice even given the nature of the way in which the railway is operated in terms of speed of trains etc. 

The loss of revenue to the GCR if the permits are withdrawn is not insignificant; a permit costs about £40 per year and permit holders also have to be 'friends' of the railway at £25 per annum so a 'loss' of £65 for each permit holder.