Amazing BR blue footage

RandyWales

• RMweb Gold

I think that the first two videos were first posted at about the time that the class 22's were released from Dapol, which would make it late 2011. I thought they were good then, especially seeing the class 105 DMU'S on the GN suburban services to and from Kings Cross interspersed by class 55 Deltics.

Also that weather forecast were there is that timeless reference to humid weather as being 'Close'.

Finally, for me, one of the pop songs, which I've grown to like is ''Craise Finton Kirk'' by Johnny Young and Company, from 1967.

With regards,

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo,

found another great clip of BR Blue. This time cab ride from Euston after which some clips of trains at Berkhamsted

Hope you enjoy it

es grüßt

The 1970 in the film heading is wrong - there was a train with passing air-con Mk.2s on the way, then towards the end the clapperboard was clearly sighted with the date - 14.11.1972.

That ride in the cab looked very lively to say the least.

If you look at the shadow cast in those cab views you can see a pantograph so I'd suggest those were taken from the cab of a loco-hauled train. Given the rough ride that would suggest a Class 81, 86 or 86 which all shared the same basic design of bogie, as well as making up around 80% of the AC fleet at the time (before the Cl.87 appeared). With axle hung motors the 86s were notoriously rough, hence the expensive Flexicoil bogie rebuilds on what were fairly new locomotives.

The shots of a driver at the controls are steadier and clearly in a AM10 (later TOPS Cl. 310) unit. As the pantograph is in the middle of these units you wouldn't see it in the shadow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this thread. Really enjoyable films. The contemporary radio sets the scene far more than a yawn inducing commentary on the obvious. Really brought back some memories!

But did people really buy that awful No.1 in the first film!  :O  :no:  

Thanks for posting.

Regarding post 4 'Do we really care' just brilliant footage and excellent music

Well I for one do, because receipts from (legal) sales probably fund further releases.

'Pirating and Ripping' do not; and it's illegal! Simples really.

Well I for one do, because receipts from (legal) sales probably fund further releases.

'Pirating and Ripping' do not; and it's illegal! Simples really.

The British Film Institute makes a modest amount of money from DVD sales, which goes towards storing and preserving (and restoring) the nation's moving image materials, including the BTF films. It's like the British Library for the moving image.

And after years and years of salami slicing to its already pathetically small government grant, it's just about to get a 40% cut, so the more that is taken away from its DVD income, the more chance there is that no more railway archive material will ever again come to light, while that material that is currently stored will rot away.

Still, if it saves someone a couple of quid, eh...?

Paul

Regarding post 4 'Do we really care' just brilliant footage and excellent music

As "post 4" was from myself, I can only reply - if you owned the copyright you might think differently.

But hey, why bother paying for decent quality videos when you can download inferior stuff from Youtube for nothing?

Why do we bother sharing scans of our slides on this site when people can download them and call them their own at no cost to themselves?

Maybe everyone who shares their priceless railway images and videos should withdraw them all from free public view and see how quickly the tight-fisted-something-for-nothing brigade begin to whinge?

The last sentence was meant to be sarcastic. Sarcasm never works on the net, does it? (No, that wasn't sarcastic).

I was supporting your post, Andy.

Paul

Too true Paul, the written word is a very small part of communications. Body language adds so much more. Edited by leopardml2341

Is it me, or are we hankering after a sort of 'British Rail's Greatest Hits' (former Radio 1/Caroline/London DJs de rigeur) DVD collection we can sit and veg over?

I've already done the whole British Transport Film set - brilliant though they are, but wouldn't it be fun if we could turn on/off the 'radio soundtrack' as well!

Or has this chap produced these for a market already (please tell me he has)?

Best,

Marcus

I can't answer for anyone else, but what I hanker over (if that is the right word - unachievable fantasy might be more accurate) is an all singing, all dancing searchable railway database.

Enter requests such as "Blue Peak with small yellow panel" or "A3 with double chimney but no German-style smoke deflectors" and it returns a list of images and video clips where examples of these can be found.

Is it me, or are we hankering after a sort of 'British Rail's Greatest Hits' (former Radio 1/Caroline/London DJs de rigeur) DVD collection we can sit and veg over?

I've already done the whole British Transport Film set - brilliant though they are, but wouldn't it be fun if we could turn on/off the 'radio soundtrack' as well!

Or has this chap produced these for a market already (please tell me he has)?

Best,

Marcus

The music is only on the pirated YouTube rips.

The legal COPYRIGHTED version doesn't have the music, well at least not on the one I purchased!

• 3 years later...

Copyright issues aside (I do rather like the cheesy Radio 1 soundtrack !), the overall impression is of a modernised integrated rail system that vindicates the decision to  accelerate the modernisation plans of the 1950s and scrap steam earlier than planned.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2015 at 21:09, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi all,

It always amazes me viewing film from the 70's by just how much 1st Class coaching stock there is on the trains!

Must have been a lot richer clientel in those days....

Thanks

There was a surplus of first class coaches on BR in the late 70s.  This enabled Northern Ireland Railways to purchase around a dozen BR 1st class mk2s to quickly replace bomb damaged stock.  These were immediately put into service (on 5' 3" bogies) as standard class.  It is rumoured that some BR commuters complained when they learned of this.