Transfers for Airfix Lowmac

• RMweb Gold

Have just finished this - it's an original Airfix Lowmac (moulded in the yellow plastic), which I have tarted up a bit with extra underframe detail, modified axleboxes, and separate lashing rings (not fitted at the moment). As you can see, it still needs transfers and weathering...

However, it also had the original transfers, and I have managed to destroy the first one I tried. So the question is - is it still possible to get the transfers for this wagon, or does anyone produce a set that would be suitable?

Thanks very much in advance.

ZG.

post-7783-0-79377400-1432721933.jpg

Have just finished this - it's an original Airfix Lowmac (moulded in the yellow plastic), which I have tarted up a bit with extra underframe detail, modified axleboxes, and separate lashing rings (not fitted at the moment). As you can see, it still needs transfers and weathering...

However, it also had the original transfers, and I have managed to destroy the first one I tried. So the question is - is it still possible to get the transfers for this wagon, or does anyone produce a set that would be suitable?

ZG.

You could try asking Dapol, who still have the model in their range.

Have a look at Modelmaster who have a good range for BR era - website here:

http://modelmasterdecals.com

Another source is Cambridge Custom Transfers - website here:

http://www.cctrans.org.uk

In both cases you will need to look through their lists.  Both are good quality but for a limited one-off then Modelmaster is likely to be more economical (ie cheaper!).

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Or you could try the BR HMRS decal sheets as well...

Very good value. 

Though CCT decals are also to be recommended and easy to use.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic wood effect there.....how was it done?

Thank you - that's very kind. The wood is done with Lifecolor acrylics, starting with the weathered wood set. I've got some more wood to do over the next few days, so if it would help I'll start a new thread to show my method.

And on the original subject of the transfers, thanks to all who took the trouble to respond. I've dropped Dapol a line (why didn't I think of that?), and I'd had a look on the CCT site, but couldn't find anything (but that could be a PICNIC problem). I'll try the other suggestions now.

ZG.

ZG,

i've recently finished one of these but with dapols grey plastic. I have mixed my own various grey/browns and done individual planks with repeated layers of varying colours, i was almost satisfied with it ... but it isnt a scratch on yours which looks much more authentic. It would be great if you could take the time to create a 'how i did it' thread. I have only fitted metal buffers and alan gibson 10.5mm wheels, but i am also intrigued to see your tie down rings and how you did those too ... however, i can think of a couple of easy methods, but a picture paints a thousands words ;)

...back on topic however, i am unable to assist with transfers, it was the next step on my lowmac project but that may have taken a back seat to repainting the planks ;)

Jason

ZG.

If you don't have any joy with Dapol, we have Lowmac, Weltrols and a few others on the to-do list now that we've climbed all over these vehicles with a tape measure.

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

If you don't have any joy with Dapol, we have Lowmac, Weltrols and a few others on the to-do list now that we've climbed all over these vehicles with a tape measure.

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

Well that's just typical, having done 3 lowmac's with individual letters and numbers . Don't suppose you have plans to do Rail blue Fruit D lettering, before I start re-lettering a Dapol one.

Well that's just typical, having done 3 lowmac's with individual letters and numbers . Don't suppose you have plans to do Rail blue Fruit D lettering, before I start re-lettering a Dapol one.

Yes we do! In fact we're not going to stop until we have absolutely everything covered; it's that simple. It's why we release around 450 new packs each year. Please could you message us offline and we'll take a note of what specifically you need?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

Hi Steve,

Thank you - currently no response forthcoming from Dapol (although I did only message them yesterday), but I would be very interested in seeing your lowmac transfers when they get to the top of your to-do list!

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've created a worked example of how I do weathered wood as a word document, but for some reason I can't paste it into a new topic on here.  I start a new topic, copy the text from the word document, but when I try and paste it into the new topic, nothing happens....  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong (I'm making the entirely reasonable assumption that it's me that's wrong).

Thanks in advance.

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've created a worked example of how I do weathered wood as a word document, but for some reason I can't paste it into a new topic on here.  I start a new topic, copy the text from the word document, but when I try and paste it into the new topic, nothing happens....  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong (I'm making the entirely reasonable assumption that it's me that's wrong).

Thanks in advance.

ZG.

Sorted - I had to change my theme to RMweb 2013 - which has incidentally made my "reply with quote" work again as well (as you can see).  Any way, the worked example has now been posted - please let me know if you have any questions.

ZG.

PS: Still no reply from Dapol about the Lowmac transfers... Might have to ring them.

Archived